(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3447 positive of 3829 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Odds and Ends
 Board Enhancements or Problems
 Backup methods that can't be corrupted
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6884 Posts
[Mentor]

Pleasanton, CA
USA

KTM

990 Adv, XR650L

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  12:00 AM                       Like
If this is the wrong sub-forum, please move it.

I've thought quite a bit about how to back up a computer so that regardless of what goes wrong, you don't lose the backup data. From the short summary of recent issues with msgroup.org, it appears that the backup data got encrypted too when the rest of the web site got messed up that way.

I currently back up my computer to a large external hard drive. I had a disk failure a few months back and didn't lose any data like photos and stuff, but lost all of the programs that had been installed. Most weren't too hard to restore, but I had a version of Microsoft Office 2013 that I was unable to get back. I had to restore a much older version of that code. I still don't have a great solution for that particular issue.

Anyway, I'm wondering how hard it would be to back up a system to a "write once" device that can't be corrupted later on. Writing a bunch of DVDs would be slow and cumbersome. It would probably take many hundreds of them just for the data on my home system.

There ought to be a straight-forward backup method that can't be corrupted later. I'm not sure that I know what it is, though. If there aren't any obvious solutions, maybe this is a business opportunity.

dhrill
Male Administrator
2 Posts

Rijeka, PG
Croatia

Honda

CBX 500XA

Posted - 11/16/2017 :  1:47 AM

Hi,

I do not know how much data you need to back up.
But if not too much to upload, I would recommend using cloud backup, and use other people to take care of your data and its redundant copies, they even do backups of your backups.

Gcloud,Amazon Cloud,Dropbox (bussiness)

If you do not trust any of of above mentioned, as fair as I know magnetic tape is still longest lasting medium and still in use.

Though a regular HD as magnetic device should hold your data longer than you will need it, just plug it out and keep it safe (together with encryption keys).

With backup it is also important to evaluate how much is worth the data itself.
Physical protection of good old magnetic HD in safe box is also an aproach.

There are two kinds of people, those who do backup and those who will do :)

Kind regards,
Vladimir
Go to Top of Page

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17295 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 11/16/2017 :  2:25 AM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Fortunately for us, I'm one of the kind that does backups.

But backups do not solve all problems. For example, my main home system still runs on Windows Vista and on a 32-bit variety. I do backups regularly with an attached terabyte HD. That system is dying. I have several other systems at my house, all of which are running Windows 10 - 64 bit.

I've been trying to move all of my applications from the old system to one of the new ones but constantly run into problems such as licensed applications that can't be moved, 32-bit and 64-bit incompatibilities, and the like. And this is while my old system still works (mostly). It would be harder still if I had only a backup to use.

I'll tell you what I'll never do, however, is use the cloud or any other off-site facility for my backups. Ii my data hits the internet, encrypted or not, it is subject to being accessed (or lost) out of my control. I don't know about you, but I have LOTS of personal/private information on my computer such as security keys/passwords to my investment/bank accounts. They stay personal/private ONLY if they never hit the internet.
Go to Top of Page

JanK
Male Junior Member
77 Posts

Ljubljana, Ljubljana
Slovenia

BMW

F650CS

Posted - 11/16/2017 :  3:04 AM
I use a couple of Synology servers for backup. One is at home and uses a RAID disk array to store all information that I cannot afford to lose - one disk dies and I simply replace it. Applications are another thing, as James has noted, but, fortunately, I don't need any legacy software.

But local RAID does not protect from a catastrophic event, such as a lightning strike frying all my equipment or my house going up in smoke.

Thus I have a second Synology at my parents home. It is connected to mine via a VPN server that I administer and keep safe, so no data is visible on the internet

The moment *any* device sees the internet, it's susceptible to intrusion. Granted, the chances of anyone intruding on my home PC are very miniscule. However, the chances of anyone intruding on the remote Synology are about the same, not orders of magnitude higher, so I don't worry about it.

For anyone interested how deeply an average PC is able to be pentrated, I recommend reading "Countdown to Zero Day: Stuxnet and the Launch of the World's First Digital Weapon" by Kim Zetter https://www.goodreads.com/book/show...-to-zero-day. Fascinating read!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05