(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3447 positive of 3829 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 General Discussion
 What is "good judgment"?
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

DataDan
Advanced Member
530 Posts
[Mentor]

Central Coast, CA
USA

Yamaha

FJR1300

Posted - 11/16/2017 :  2:32 PM                       Like
Working on a project recently, I found myself considering the question, What is "good judgment" in the context of riding a motorcycle? It's easy enough to recognize bad judgment when you see it--accelerating through an intersection on the yellow as an oncoming left turner does the same, leaning into a blind right curve that is tighter than expected, overtaking a car as it turns into a driveway on the left. In fact, most crashes I read about could be uncontroversially attributed to bad judgment.

But trying to encourage good judgment by offering a list of pretty obvious "don'ts" seems unhelpful. I came up with a few things that sketch an outline of the good kind, but I'm interested in what you think.
  • You have a plan to complete a task. I'm talking short-term here, like a plan for crossing an intersection or rounding a bend. Most likely it's not explicit; your inner voice doesn't recite it. But without actually thinking about it, maybe you will watch the oncoming vehicle with its blinker on, slow down, and move to the right side of your lane.

• You possess the skills you will need.

• You have expectations. You can visualize how it will succeed, otherwise you wouldn't attempt it.

• The plan identifies contingencies where something goes wrong, early-warning cues, and actions to take.

• You are experienced at the task. You've done it before, or it is an incremental step from something you've done. It isn't a significant leap outside your repertoire. Experience informs expectations and contingencies.

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17293 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 11/16/2017 :  4:47 PM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Very pleased to see you found us again, Dan.

Your posts are always well received because they are thoughtful and informative.

For any new visitors, Dan has a history here of being able to document statistics and facts from professional research - he knows of what he speaks.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.18 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05