(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3453 positive of 3835 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 General Discussion
 US motorcycle fatality data 2016
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

DataDan
Advanced Member
578 Posts
[Mentor]

Central Coast, CA
USA

Yamaha

FJR1300

Posted - 11/20/2017 :  5:04 PM                       Like
As I have done before, here is the latest US motorcycle fatality data from the US DOT's FARS database (Fatality Analysis Reporting System):

US Fatal Motorcycle Crashes 2012-2016

...................................2012|....2013|....2014|....2015|....2016
..............................|........|........|........|........|........
motorcycles in fatal crashes..|....5113|....4799|....4705|....5131|....5421
motorcyclists killed..........|....4986|....4692|....4594|....5029|....5286
other-vehicle occupants killed|......41|......32|......26|......31|......46
non-motorists killed..........|......36|......39|......34|......40|......49
rider age.....................|......43|......42|......43|......42|......42
rider BAC .01-.07.............|......9%|......8%|......9%|......9%|......9%
rider BAC .08-.14.............|.....10%|.....11%|.....11%|.....11%|.....11%
rider BAC .15+................|.....21%|.....19%|.....20%|.....18%|.....18%
rider unlicensed..............|.....26%|.....27%|.....30%|.....29%|.....29%

If you look back at my posts from 2014 and 2015 you may notice some small differences from what appears above. The database is published twice, an initial release toward the end of the year following the reporting year (10/2017 for the 2016 data) and in the next year a final release that includes cases unresolved at the time of the first release.

As you can see, 2016 fatalities are up somewhat over 2015 and up sharply over 2014. In my 2015 post I noted that Florida had posted the highest number of any state in over 25 years. That went down slightly in 2016. California, OTOH, went up significantly in 2016.

I'll post state data another time. If you have a question, ask away. If there's something you'd like to see, post it up and I'll do my best to dig up the numbers for you.

bachman1961
Male Advanced Member
2270 Posts
[Mentor]

colorado springs, co
USA

Honda

CB750 NightHawk

Posted - 11/26/2017 :  1:09 AM
Thanks for staying on this stuff Dan.

Your data postings always help remind me that in any endeavor (like climbing ladders and putting up Christmas lights)our age versus injury or worse is a factor in outcomes. IOW, my 'shortcut' thinking is the translation of FARS to mean;
"Be safe out there in everything we do and realize/manage risk factors."

We have a 70+ degree day for later and this mild weather makes me wonder about the progression of warming or climate changes such as; Will the long term yield stats showing a pattern as numbers related to longer riding seasons - more riding days per year? Seems like it will represent increases of incidents, then likely injury or fatalities. Is that a realistic assumption?

Edited by - bachman1961 on 11/26/2017 1:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6925 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 1090 Adv R

Posted - 11/26/2017 :  10:27 AM
quote:
Originally posted by bachman1961

Will the long term yield stats showing a pattern as numbers related to longer riding seasons - more riding days per year?
Fewer riding days per year in the hot places like Phoenix, Las Vegas, and Fresno.
Go to Top of Page

DataDan
Advanced Member
578 Posts
[Mentor]

Central Coast, CA
USA

Yamaha

FJR1300

Posted - 11/26/2017 :  12:33 PM
quote:

We have a 70+ degree day for later and this mild weather makes me wonder about the progression of warming or climate changes such as; Will the long term yield stats showing a pattern as numbers related to longer riding seasons - more riding days per year? Seems like it will represent increases of incidents, then likely injury or fatalities. Is that a realistic assumption?

Over the long term, rising average temperatures would seem to lengthen riding seasons, motorcycle miles traveled, and casualties (with Scott's reckoning of a shortened riding season in some locations noted).

However, normal year-to-year variation in weather is much greater than the predicted effect of climate change. For example, I looked at the January temp history for Minneapolis over the past 10 years. Average high ranged from 16F to 30F. That range, 14F, is something like 10 times the expected increase due to climate change over the next 30 years.

By then, the motorcycles will all be in museums, and the boldest among us will visit them on our autonomously operated electric scooters, encapsulated in our impact-absorbing gel suits.
Go to Top of Page

bachman1961
Male Advanced Member
2270 Posts
[Mentor]

colorado springs, co
USA

Honda

CB750 NightHawk

Posted - 11/26/2017 :  10:22 PM
quote:
Originally posted by scottrnelson

quote:

Will the long term yield stats showing a pattern as numbers related to longer riding seasons - more riding days per year?
Fewer riding days per year in the hot places like Phoenix, Las Vegas, and Fresno.

Very true.
I'm almost ashamed to admit (wuss factor) that I've skipped riding days here in C Springs just due to the hot sun and temps of 80 or more. This would be more the city rides and errands type thing , stop and go etc... As many of know, tee shirts and sandals are off limits.

A longer highway speed ride would probably be bearable.
Go to Top of Page

bachman1961
Male Advanced Member
2270 Posts
[Mentor]

colorado springs, co
USA

Honda

CB750 NightHawk

Posted - 11/26/2017 :  10:27 PM
quote:
Originally posted by DataDan

quote:

Over the long term, rising average temperatures would seem to lengthen riding seasons, motorcycle miles traveled, and casualties (with Scott's reckoning of a shortened riding season in some locations noted).

However, normal year-to-year variation in weather is much greater than the predicted effect of climate change. For example, I looked at the January temp history for Minneapolis over the past 10 years. Average high ranged from 16F to 30F. That range, 14F, is something like 10 times the expected increase due to climate change over the next 30 years.

By then, the motorcycles will all be in museums, and the boldest among us will visit them on our autonomously operated electric scooters, encapsulated in our impact-absorbing gel suits.

HA ! Well stated (although) sad news.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 1.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05