(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3452 positive of 3834 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Sharing of Lessons Learned
 Dumb to have taking this turn.
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

rkfire
Advanced Member
1713 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Posted - 09/11/2018 :  6:29 AM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend                        Like
Even dumber since I was coming from a visit with my friend injured in a solo bike crash.

On a back road and decide to make a ridiculously sharp turn, almost 180 degree, with a steep downhill approach, onto a very narrow road.

Seemingly no traffic at the time, the right turn is very sharp, and the apex is paved, but really a sharp downhill ramp. I will need most of the width of the road I am turning onto, to finish the turn. The road is barely capable of 2 cars traveling in opposite directions.

Well, I look and see no cars coming up this road, so I slow and take the steep ramp to turn. While in the middle of this ramp, handlebars turned to the right, a car comes up towards me. I need more than my half the road to complete the turn, so I have to brake. Well, we all know what happens when, downhill, bars turned, while going very slowly. I dumped the bike to the right. I really felt dumb, and this new to me bike is heavy.

The wise move would have been to find a better place down the original road, and turn around to have nearly a straight and level approach to this street. The road simply takes me to a town park, no urgency of any kind.

I'll attempt to link to google map, street view. Keep in mind the steepness of the "ramp" part doesn't show well the steepness of it.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.243...13312!8i6656

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17328 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 09/11/2018 :  8:11 AM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Yikes! Even with the images, that's hard to imagine being real.

Closest I ever came to something like that was riding up and then down a four-story circular ramp at an airport when it was raining. It's not until you get into it that you know you shouldn't be there on a motorcycle - and then you can't stop or change your mind. Oh, and I was following Cash who was riding her motorcycle, too.

Hope there was no damage or injury involved.
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6915 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 1090 Adv R

Posted - 09/11/2018 :  8:54 AM
Yep, that looks like a tricky turn alright. I would have swung wide and touched the center line heading into that one. But with an oncoming car, I can see how it would mess up your intended line. If you had only hit the rear brake, do you think you could have kept it upright?

I've done only one parking lot practice session on my new KTM, seeing how sharp I can make slow turns. I've had to put a foot down several times doing that. I know that more practice will help in the super slow stuff. It being a little taller and a little heavier than the bike it replaced still has me occasionally feeling slightly awkward sometimes on it.

That turn reminds me of this series of turns on Mosquito Road out of Placerville. Except that you can't come in from a different angle. It's narrow enough that two vehicles can't really pass on the curves, and it's very difficult to stay fully within the inside lane even on a very sharp turning dirt bike. The inside of the turns are steeper than what you were dealing with.
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.776...13312!8i6656
Go to Top of Page

rkfire
Advanced Member
1713 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Posted - 09/11/2018 :  12:58 PM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
I did scuff up the bag, fairing some, and mirror. I got a bump on my left leg, which makes no sense to me, since I went down on the right. The car driver did get out to help me upright the bike, which was fun too, the bike laying over and downhill.

Scott, since I was trying to make the turn at the apex, it was really a sharp turn, plus like I said, that part is really very steep like a ramp(the view just does not do that part justice). Once I discovered the car pulling up and blocking my intended path, I was trying to come to a standstill and put feet down. Little good that did, since with those elevation changes, I was not able to reach the ground to my right.

It was just dumb of me. I even remember the hint of the idea to go down the road and turn around at a safe place.

Coming from my 56 inch wheelbase, 471 lb. Bandit, to this 62 inch wheelbase, 630 lb. bike is a challenge for me at slow speed maneuvering.
Go to Top of Page

Eagle Six
Starting Member
9 Posts

Snowflake, Arizona
USA

Kawasaki

ZX14R

Posted - 09/11/2018 :  3:46 PM
Yea, things built up against you pretty quick, tight turn, downhill, off-camber, and on coming traffic.

Now that you have shared it, my first thought in the future, if I should face a similar decision will most likely be, go down the road find a good turn around, or another route. Thank You rkfire.
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6915 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 1090 Adv R

Posted - 09/11/2018 :  4:06 PM
quote:
Originally posted by rkfire

I got a bump on my left leg, which makes no sense to me, since I went down on the right. The car driver did get out to help me upright the bike, which was fun too, the bike laying over and downhill.
I've had quite a bit of practice of dumping bikes while I'm still standing afterward. Done it at least ten times with my XR650L, half in dirt and half in parking lots or other slow speed stuff. Done it once with the KTM 990 before I sold it. Riding dirt bikes helped me learn that skill.

In fact, a month or two back I got out of shape on a steep rocky uphill trail and fell over. I'm pretty sure it's the first time in at least ten years that I've actually fallen off of a bike and hit the ground. Speed was pretty much zero (or possibly negative) when that happened.
Go to Top of Page

rkfire
Advanced Member
1713 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Posted - 09/12/2018 :  10:20 AM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Ha Scott, I know, was a long time ago, but I too rode dirt bikes. The thing with this one was, I was desperately attempting to keep the new to me bike upright. I lost.

I think too, that I was very much concentrating on a tricky turn, and failed to see a car coming up that street timely. I looked before turning there, but a moment later I see the car. Too late at that point.

Looking at a BMW microfiche, just the saddlebag lid is over $700....geesh. Think I'll try to figure out some sort of covering material.
Go to Top of Page

Dagwood
Male Starting Member
2 Posts

Sacramento, CA
USA

Honda

ST1100

Posted - 10/24/2018 :  2:15 PM
quote:
Originally posted by scottrnelson

Yep, that looks like a tricky turn alright. I would have swung wide and touched the center line heading into that one. But with an oncoming car, I can see how it would mess up your intended line. If you had only hit the rear brake, do you think you could have kept it upright?

I've done only one parking lot practice session on my new KTM, seeing how sharp I can make slow turns. I've had to put a foot down several times doing that. I know that more practice will help in the super slow stuff. It being a little taller and a little heavier than the bike it replaced still has me occasionally feeling slightly awkward sometimes on it.

That turn reminds me of this series of turns on Mosquito Road out of Placerville. Except that you can't come in from a different angle. It's narrow enough that two vehicles can't really pass on the curves, and it's very difficult to stay fully within the inside lane even on a very sharp turning dirt bike. The inside of the turns are steeper than what you were dealing with.
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.776...13312!8i6656

Ah! You know Mosquito Road! I'm in Sacramento. I use Forresthill Road from Auburn often as a practice stretch. Have ridden Mosquito Ridge out of there with friends a few times. Your profile says you're in Idaho, but... are you actually in Northern California?
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6915 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 1090 Adv R

Posted - 10/25/2018 :  6:47 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Dagwood

Ah! You know Mosquito Road! I'm in Sacramento. I use Forresthill Road from Auburn often as a practice stretch. Have ridden Mosquito Ridge out of there with friends a few times. Your profile says you're in Idaho, but... are you actually in Northern California?

I lived 30 years in Northern California with five of those in Folsom. But I've retired, cashed out, and moved to where there is a lot of good dirt riding available. I loved California while I was there, but I'm not really missing it now.
Go to Top of Page

bachman1961
Male Advanced Member
2268 Posts
[Mentor]

colorado springs, co
USA

Honda

CB750 NightHawk

Posted - 11/23/2018 :  2:22 AM
quote:
Originally posted by James R. Davis

Yikes! Even with the images, that's hard to imagine being real.

Closest I ever came to something like that was riding up and then down a four-story circular ramp at an airport when it was raining. It's not until you get into it that you know you shouldn't be there on a motorcycle - and then you can't stop or change your mind. Oh, and I was following Cash who was riding her motorcycle, too.

Hope there was no damage or injury involved.

Aha ! I recall a longer version of that story you shared here in the past. I'm encouraged my memory of years reading of lessons and experiences here still "sticks" somewhere in my grey matter hinterlands.

That turn !! Got one of them here in this town over by Cheyenne Canyon near Broadmoor/old NORAD. Thankfully I've never needed to consider such a maneuver or challenge although I'm pretty sure the line of sight is better and no downslope either.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.32 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05