(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3452 positive of 3834 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 General Discussion
 Near miss this morning
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

tmonroe
Male Advanced Member
750 Posts
[Mentor]

Seattle, WA
USA

Kawasaki

ZX-10R

Posted - 06/06/2019 :  10:12 PM                       Like
https://youtu.be/j0babxtIRVM

I uploaded 3 minutes - the first 2 and a half minutes are very boring - just wanted to show that this was completely out of the blue.

The driver had a Washington State "Share the road with bicyclists" plate

I have the plate number - and a high quality, full video of my entire commute - does anybody have any idea where I could report this (would like the driver to at least get some kind of warning about this).

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6925 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 1090 Adv R

Posted - 06/07/2019 :  10:38 AM
It appears that the guy was making a lane change from behind you and cut it a bit close. Did you have less than two feet of clearance? If not, I would call that normal commute traffic, at least based on when I used to commute in California.

I don't see anything that you should have done differently. I would have been shaking my head after that, but otherwise keep on riding.
Go to Top of Page

kilodelta
Male Junior Member
55 Posts

Stafford, VA
USA

Suzuki

SFV-650

Posted - 06/09/2019 :  9:06 PM
I think it's ironic that the guy had a "Share the Road" plate.
Go to Top of Page

tmonroe
Male Advanced Member
750 Posts
[Mentor]

Seattle, WA
USA

Kawasaki

ZX-10R

Posted - 06/11/2019 :  5:26 PM
quote:
Originally posted by scottrnelson

It appears that the guy was making a lane change from behind you and cut it a bit close. Did you have less than two feet of clearance? If not, I would call that normal commute traffic, at least based on when I used to commute in California.

I don't see anything that you should have done differently. I would have been shaking my head after that, but otherwise keep on riding.

I could have easily reached out and touched his car.

I'm actually very used to vehicles I'm overtaking coming into my lane - I don't even consider those close cases anymore.

I posted video, and the original video is high enough quality that his plate number is easily readable. Plus I posted this on a few forums where LEOs might see. I figure I've done my part - if this guy is a habitual offender, it will catch up with him eventually.
Go to Top of Page

tmonroe
Male Advanced Member
750 Posts
[Mentor]

Seattle, WA
USA

Kawasaki

ZX-10R

Posted - 06/11/2019 :  5:34 PM
quote:
Originally posted by scottrnelson

Actually Scott, I sort of half-way expected you might give me a little grief for occasionally glancing down at my phone. I don't think you can see it in the video, but I have an app called "Waze" open, and it gives me information about traffic volume and hazards in more-or-less real time. I'll check it from time to time to give me an idea if there is heavy traffic (or anything else) coming up. If I know there is an upcoming backup, I can start adjusting for the possibility of having to stop quickly.
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6925 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 1090 Adv R

Posted - 06/11/2019 :  6:30 PM
quote:
Originally posted by tmonroe

Actually Scott, I sort of half-way expected you might give me a little grief for occasionally glancing down at my phone.
If you're not touching it, you'll get no grief from me. No different from using a GPS in my book. And I'm occasionally guilty of touching a few GPS buttons while riding, which probably isn't the safest thing to do if anything is happening at the time. But today I was a good boy and stopped the few times I needed to fiddle with my GPS.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.29 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05