(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3456 positive of 3838 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 General Discussion
 I'm Baaaaack!
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

magnaman
Male Standard Member
106 Posts

lake bluff, il
USA

Honda

Magna 700

Posted - 06/15/2020 :  7:01 PM                       Like
I'm Back In The Saddle Again! I'm Baaaaaak! Damn that was more appropriate than I initially thought! lol Ok, enough of nostalgic music. Man its been over 10 years since I have been on my bike. My 82 Magna 700 has not been operational for a while now and Life has intervened as well. So, its been a while. Just bought a 2004 BMW R1150RT with 48k on the clock and it is in great shape! Picked it up last Thursday and already put over 400 miles on it chasing down some of Wisconsin's rustic roads! A good portion of the time spent has also been in the parking lot too, brushing up on my slow speed skills. I came across a "ride like a pro" vid and it showed leaning my body the opposite way of the bike in slow speed maneuvers like a U-turn. I don't remember doing that. Probably why I was never very good at it. Anyway, having a ball and working on my skills. It's good to be... wait for it... Baaaaaaak!

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6937 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 06/15/2020 :  7:27 PM
Welcome back. If we can get a few more we might actually get some discussions going here.

Ride safe.
Go to Top of Page

Eagle Six
20 Posts

Snowflake, Arizona
USA

Kawasaki

ZX14R

Posted - 06/15/2020 :  7:40 PM
quote:
I'm Back In The Saddle Again! I'm Baaaaaak!

Good to hear you are "Baaaaaak!", rubber side down and keep the passion alive!!
Go to Top of Page

magnaman
Male Standard Member
106 Posts

lake bluff, il
USA

Honda

Magna 700

Posted - 06/17/2020 :  4:35 PM
Thank you, to you both. Discussions are good, and I look forward to them. I first signed up here about 3 months before I had bought my first bike, and I spent that whole time reading and learning. I think I read every post on the site! I can't tell you how much I learned. There is no doubt it opened my eyes and saved my tail on more than one occasion. This site has been indispensable to me. Thank you to all who have posted here over the years.
Go to Top of Page

Eagle Six
20 Posts

Snowflake, Arizona
USA

Kawasaki

ZX14R

Posted - 06/18/2020 :  2:08 PM
quote:
Originally posted by scottrnelson

Welcome back. If we can get a few more we might actually get some discussions going here.

Ride safe.

I think I joined this board last year and check it once a day on the days I'm checking other forums, but not sure why I do, doesn't seem to be much activity and I rarely have any input, but seems like some great members here (or were here!).
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6937 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 06/18/2020 :  3:20 PM
Many years ago this place had a lot going on. We would get a lot of new riders asking questions and lots of experienced riders answering them. Unfortunately, many of those with a lot to say eventually got kicked off due to the "three strikes and you're out rule". Other forums give the offender a week of vacation instead, then two weeks, then a month, then they get kicked off. But I don't make the rules here, I just know how to keep from breaking them.

If some of you newer people could ask a few questions, it might help. I've already said everything that I have to say, but I'll still occasionally share an experience. However, I'm not going to be the only one doing it here.
Go to Top of Page

Eagle Six
20 Posts

Snowflake, Arizona
USA

Kawasaki

ZX14R

Posted - 06/18/2020 :  3:42 PM
quote:
Originally posted by scottrnelson

If some of you newer people could ask a few questions, it might help. I've already said everything that I have to say, but I'll still occasionally share an experience. However, I'm not going to be the only one doing it here.

When I joined I read many threads and posts and got the idea it was a rather strict rules based forum, which is OK with me, but apparently may have rubbed others a bit wrong.

I don't have too many questions, I'm a relative new member here by post count but been riding for many years, had a lot of training, a lot of bikes and try to help others if they want. However, some of the training and skills I have developed may be frowned on by some of the 'experts' so I somewhat keep my mouth shut. Well, that's really not true, I probably never did learn to keep quiet!!!!
Go to Top of Page

magnaman
Male Standard Member
106 Posts

lake bluff, il
USA

Honda

Magna 700

Posted - 06/21/2020 :  6:58 PM
Well I purchased the R1150RT a week ago last Thursday and have so far put 800 miles on it. Today was the first day I started to feel comfortable riding it. I had an ST1100 for a short time but usually rode the Magna 700. Like Scott, it has taken me a while to get comfortable. I attribute that to getting more PLP as well as riding the lightly traveled roads around Wisconsin, getting familiar with riding again. It has been fun!
Go to Top of Page

Eagle Six
20 Posts

Snowflake, Arizona
USA

Kawasaki

ZX14R

Posted - 06/21/2020 :  7:17 PM
quote:
Originally posted by magnaman

Well I purchased the R1150RT a week ago last Thursday and have so far put 800 miles on it. Today was the first day I started to feel comfortable riding it. I had an ST1100 for a short time but usually rode the Magna 700. Like Scott, it has taken me a while to get comfortable. I attribute that to getting more PLP as well as riding the lightly traveled roads around Wisconsin, getting familiar with riding again. It has been fun!

That's an average of over 100 miles per day! Keep it up and this time next year you could have put over 30K miles on your Beemer! Along with the 48K when you bought it last week that total would finally get it broke-in!
Go to Top of Page

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17362 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 07/02/2020 :  9:40 AM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Those strict rules are simple: No h_a_t_e (the site will not even allow that word) speech. No misinformation. No politics.

If those offend people, they are better off elsewhere.

The reason discussions have largely stopped here is that I had a severe stroke that paralyzed the right half of my body and had to stop riding and spending time here articulating and drafting new safety tips. (I've recovered 99% of the use of my right side, by the way.)

Though no longer riding, I remain very actively involved as a Motorcycle Safety and Dynamics expert witness. Those safety tips you can read by clicking on the pink button at the top right of your screen are OFTEN referred to in court cases and have NEVER, not once, been challenged or dismissed. They can save your life and are there for you.

I've been wondering what those of you who still ride think of the newest computerized enhancements being added to top-of-the-line bikes. Anybody care to share what they know?

BTW, I'll take care of the slow performance of the site shortly. Sorry it decayed so much without my knowing about it.
Go to Top of Page

Eagle Six
20 Posts

Snowflake, Arizona
USA

Kawasaki

ZX14R

Posted - 07/02/2020 :  12:18 PM
quote:
Originally posted by James R. Davis

I've been wondering what those of you who still ride think of the newest computerized enhancements being added to top-of-the-line bikes. Anybody care to share what they know?

I recently purchased a 2020 Ninja 1000SX, it has ABS, TC, IMU, throttle-by-wire, cruise control, up and down quick shifter. It has a live lean angle indicator, and a maximum lean angle recorder.

I have only put about 1,800 miles on it. Despite some threshhold braking it hasn't as yet kicked in the ABS. I did test the traction control and it works fine. The maximum lean angle I have on the bike so far is 45 degrees and although I have braked a few time in a turn, I felt no effect of the IMU cornering control.

I average one training class per year and self-train in a lot and on the street often. With that said, every ride is a training opportunity. I would like to see others start out being well trained and developing their skills, before they start depending on fancy electro's to save them. On the otherhand I would not want to be the one who withheld the electronic ride controls from an untrained rider when it may have prevented him/her from getting hurt.
Go to Top of Page

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17362 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 07/02/2020 :  12:41 PM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Bravo! Thanks for the feedback I asked for.

There is nothing more important than training and experience to increase the odds in favor of the rider. Electronics may help, but the number of times I've seen or heard about the 'experienced' rider, who rode dirt bikes when he was a kid and nothing for 20 years after that, deciding he didn't need formal training. So he buys a brand new Harley-Davidson, mounts it in his driveway, and proceeds to crash into the parked car 50 feet down the road. "It fought me! It wouldn't let me turn!"

I've had to explain to any number of attorney's who've retained me that experience and training allow a relatively new rider to do some things preemptively - like cover their front brake lever, and why.

But even though these attorney's are pretty bright guys, usually, it's still funny to watch them as you explain counter-steering. They 'kinda' believe me when I do, but not really. That client of theirs who ran off the road as he was unable to handle a mild curve and died as a result, they probably didn't believe what they heard about counter-steering either.
Go to Top of Page

Eagle Six
20 Posts

Snowflake, Arizona
USA

Kawasaki

ZX14R

Posted - 07/02/2020 :  2:01 PM
quote:

But even though these attorney's are pretty bright guys, usually, it's still funny to watch them as you explain counter-steering. They 'kinda' believe me when I do, but not really.

I repeatedly see 'experienced' riders enter a curve a bit hot and cut it wide because they refuse to lean the bike, for fear they are going to low side, yet the speed they are entering and the radius of the turn requires a moderate amount of the lean somewhere about 30 degrees, I'm sure you see and hear of this as well. And, out of those there are a few who when running wide run out of road!

No amount of ABS, traction control or cornering control electronics are going to save a rider from running wide off the road, if they refuse to lean the bike and make the turn.

Perhaps someone will design a training bike something in reference to the 'No BS' bike that Keith Code uses at his California Superbike School, focusing on the new electronics, that students/instructors can use to safely (relatively safe that is) demonstrate things like cornering control. I know the manufactures of these fancy gizmo's have testing equipment and I'm sure they are expensive. Maybe the industry should get together to share the cost and make these bike simulators available to trainers such as the MSF, CSS and YCRS. I'm not holding my breath.

Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6937 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 07/03/2020 :  4:14 PM
quote:

The KTM 1090 Adventure R that I owned for a year and a half had traction control and ABS and four ride modes. The KTM 790 Adventure R that I own now also has those features, but they behave a bit differently. Both bikes came with throttle by wire, which is how traction control works.

Let me first mention the ABS. My 2008 KTM 990 Adv had that as well and I wasn't totally happy with it. The rear was too eager to kick in when slowing for turns. I would feel the vibration through the brake pedal and I know I wasn't close to sliding the tire yet. If I accidentally left it on in the dirt, it was difficult to get any braking action headed downhill in loose stuff. It basically prevented the brakes from doing enough to slow the bike in those conditions. And you had to be stopped to switch ABS off.

The ABS on the other two bikes is much better. In off-road mode, the 1090 basically turns it off for the rear but keeps it for the front. it behaves just how I want it to. On the 790, I'm not sure if off road mode changes the braking or just the engine behavior. I can't slide the rear wheel in the dirt unless I go into the menu and find another setting for the ABS to reduce what it does. Unclear why the 1090 and 790 don't behave the same. But overall, I like the ABS on these new bikes.

The traction control is interesting. When left in street mode, you can pull off into the dirt at the side of the road, stop, then start up and crank the throttle wide open and it won't spin the rear wheel, it will just gently pull out until you hit clean pavement, then the power comes on and it takes off. I think both bikes also have anti-wheelie control, but I've never really experimented to find out what that does. I just know that I've never had the front wheel off of the ground on either bike. Someday I would like to go to a drag strip and find out what it does, but as I get older I have less and less desire to do stuff like that.

I ride in the dirt a lot, quite a bit with the 1090 and as much as possible on my current 790. I try to switch to off-road mode as soon as I get to the end of the pavement, but sometimes I forget and the bike is very well behaved. It would be a problem trying to ride up a steep loose hill, but for most dirt roads it is well behaved. I can definitely spin the rear wheel in off-road mode if I want to.

Both bikes have a rain mode too, but I've only used it one time on the 1090. I was way up in the hills when I finally made it to pavement and it was wet, so I switched on rain mode. It makes traction control and ABS kick in sooner and cuts down the power - on the 1090 you "only" get 100 hp in that mode. I think it might reduce the power in that mode on the 790 too, but I don't really know.

I know that both bikes have lean angle sensors so that traction control will take effect sooner if you're leaned over than if the bike is vertical. I tend to regulate that myself, so I can't really say how effective it is. But it's nice to know that it's there.

I did a much more detailed write-up comparing the three bikes here:
https://bayarearidersforum.com/foru...php?t=540569

I like the computerized enhancements and even like knowing what my fuel mileage is (54 for the last 2000 miles on the 790, closer to 45 on the 1090).

This probably should be split off into a different thread. I would be happy to answer any questions that I haven't covered here.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05