(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3456 positive of 3838 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 General Discussion
 Speaking of electronics
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17362 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 07/02/2020 :  3:00 PM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend                        Like
I have been driving a new car and was surprised to notice that as I approached too closely the lane divide with my driver's side tire there was a mild self-correction being applied to my steering which took me back to the center of my lane.

Now I'm not objecting in any way to the existence of that capability in the car, though I think I should have been told about it.

And I don't believe anything like that exists for motorcycles, though I could be wrong about that.

How did the car know I was wandering? There were dashed white lines in place but no 'bots-dots' as well. And when I tried to test the mechanism again some time later, the car ignored my approaching that line. How did it know what was potentially my lack of awareness and when I was intentional?

Eagle Six
20 Posts

Snowflake, Arizona
USA

Kawasaki

ZX14R

Posted - 07/03/2020 :  8:04 AM
I know little to nothing about driver aids in later model cars. I see on commercials where they self correct in lanes if they sense a nearby object conflict.

A while back I read about a controversy that in some situations the sensors were not picking up smaller objects the size of motorcycles or bicycles in certain angles.

My knowledge is so thin I need to bail out of this conversation.
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6937 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 07/03/2020 :  4:38 PM
Back when I used to work, a friend of mine who also worked at the same company was involved in designing processors and co-processors to go into cars to help both with driving and the infotainment system. He specifically purchased a Honda Crosstour because it had the driving aids and he wanted to experience where the industry was at. He picked me up at the airport once and had the lane assist kick in more than once, since he was one of those who doesn't pay attention 100% while talking. That one used cameras to figure it out.

Personally, I don't want a car that is trying to be smarter than me, so I intend to stick with my 2005 (no automatic stuff whatsoever), and 2014 (very little help) Fords as long as possible, because I don't like the newer cars. For sure I don't want a motorcycle doing much more than ABS and traction control.
Go to Top of Page

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17362 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 07/03/2020 :  4:52 PM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Obviously some of us are 'old salts' who appreciate the classical functionality of our cars and motorcycles and think that at least some of the current enhancements are bastardizations.

I well remember thinking that automatic shifting automobiles might be a fad and hoping to never have to rely on that functionality.

Shifting was in many ways a learned skill that demonstrated how well you'd grown as a driver. The next time I worried about that was when some motorcycles were being created with automatics. No thank you.

On the other hand, rear-view cameras that come on when in reverse (on automobiles) seems like a very good idea.

Maybe growing old allows me to be kinder toward developers.
Go to Top of Page

Eagle Six
20 Posts

Snowflake, Arizona
USA

Kawasaki

ZX14R

Posted - 07/04/2020 :  8:24 AM
quote:
Originally posted by James R. Davis

Obviously some of us are 'old salts' who appreciate the classical functionality of our cars and motorcycles and think that at least some of the current enhancements are bastardizations.

quote:
Originally posted by James R. Davis

On the other hand, rear-view cameras that come on when in reverse (on automobiles) seems like a very good idea.

This past December I was in Apache Junction, Arizona attending a Kawasaki Good Time Roll Demo event at Arizona Kawasaki. I specifically was there to test drive the Ninja 1000SX (which I bought about a month ago). I also road just about everything they had making a day of it. When all the bikes were out on demos I asked to demo a Slingshot. I was amazed I liked it as much as I did. (OK George get to the point!)

On the return from the test ride I'm putting it back in the lot which requires backing in. I look in the mirrors and there is no body reference in those things! I look left, look right, nope I can see stuff back there but no reference, no body line to look down.

As I'm glancing back and forth to the rear view side mirrors I notice the center display has turned to a high definition rear view that I can actually see bright and clear what is behind. In that thing it was a welcome drivers aid.

In reference my cages are a 1987 F-250 PU and 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Lots of body line to make reference to and plenty of mirror size to see clearly what is behind. All except that area directly behind the rear bumper where a little kid could be missed. I will not call myself a fool for not having a rear camera on my old cages, but I would be a fool not to use one in any vehicle that came equipped with one. So, although I don't like all the new gizmo's, I have changed my mind about the rear camera and now consider it as a valid safety enhancement that maybe should be on all cars and trucks.
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6937 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 07/04/2020 :  9:41 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Eagle Six

As I'm glancing back and forth to the rear view side mirrors I notice the center display has turned to a high definition rear view that I can actually see bright and clear what is behind. In that thing it was a welcome drivers aid.
All new cars have the backup camera now. Some are better than others. The one in my 2014 Ford has some straight lines that show the width of the vehicle, but if you turn the wheel it has some other lines that show where you'll go at that angle. It makes it extremely easy to back into a parking spot and get it centered.

The drawback is that it's easy to get in the habit of not looking behind you, so you can miss people or traffic in parking lots coming from the side. The rear camera is one of the few things that I like on the newer cars.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05