(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3456 positive of 3838 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 General Discussion
 I'm thinking of adding aftermarket exhaust to 2012 bike
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

jlewisp
Male New Member
12 Posts

The Colony, TX
USA

Ducati

Multistrada 1200 S

Posted - 07/27/2020 :  2:20 PM                       Like
I'm thinking of adding aftermarket exhaust to 2012 Multistrada with 50k miles, good idea/bad idea?

Eagle Six
20 Posts

Snowflake, Arizona
USA

Kawasaki

ZX14R

Posted - 07/27/2020 :  3:36 PM
Hi Lewis,

I like some after market exhaust and also like some factory exhaust. It's pretty common for many riders to change some or all of the factory exhaust.

I like having a reason, so without your reason for changing things it may be pointless to give an opinion. Perhaps you can expand a bit on why you would consider spending the money for changes?

Perhaps you want a slip on to save a little weight and/or get a better sound. Perhaps you want to swicth to a full exhaust system to eliminate the cat and pickup some hp. there is probably some end goal you have considered? Having an idea of your goals I'm sure you will get more meaningful replies.
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6937 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 07/27/2020 :  8:21 PM
The last time I weighed a set of Ducati pipes, the carbon fiber Ducati Performance pipes were nine pounds less than the stock ones - 10.5 pounds vs 19.5 pounds.

After market pipes on a Ducati are to let the wonderful sounds out. But the various ones that I had were always too loud. I had Ducati Performance, D&D, and Fast by Ferracci pipes. I ended up modifying stock pipes on both the Monster and ST2 that I rode back then. The stock pipes sent the sound through three different chambers, going from the first to the third, then back the the middle and out a single tube. Removing a few internal pipes changed it so that the exhaust only went through two chambers. Not nearly as loud as the typical aftermarket pipes, but a little louder than stock. I have no idea what the inside of a Multistrada pipe looks like, but I doubt it's like the cans from the mid-90's.

The issue I had with the loud ones was that even with earplugs, the extra sound caused fatigue on longer rides. I don't know if the Harley riders have that issue or not. My XR650L has an aftermarket pipe, but it's not that loud until I get past half throttle. The pipe is worth about a 10% power improvement. I'm not touching the KTM.

So, jlewisp, what is the main reason you're considering an aftermarket exhaust?
Go to Top of Page

jlewisp
Male New Member
12 Posts

The Colony, TX
USA

Ducati

Multistrada 1200 S

Posted - 07/30/2020 :  8:15 AM
Just wanting to change things up a bit, so keep the I need a new bike at bay. It's the one thing I wish I had done when I first bought the bike. A little louder is ok, a few more horses is good, and they say the ecu update make's it even more responsive.
Go to Top of Page

Eagle Six
20 Posts

Snowflake, Arizona
USA

Kawasaki

ZX14R

Posted - 07/30/2020 :  4:40 PM
quote:
Originally posted by jlewisp

Just wanting to change things up a bit, so keep the I need a new bike at bay.

It's your money, $2000 for a new exhaust system or $20,000 for a new bike. Invest 10% to save 90%, that might be a good deal if it works.

For me, if I buy a bike to race, I most likely going to pure a bunch of money into exhaust, reflash, tires, suspension, brakes, etc. to get the most out of my core investment. If I buy a long distance tourer, I would probably be putting a bunch of stuff maybe like extra fuel cells, heated everything, larger wind screen, etc. to make it the most comfortable and capable ride for cross country touring.

What I did recently buy was a 2020 Ninja 1000SX Sport-Touring liter bike. I have about 2,500 miles on it and there is nothing I need for it (with the exception of a gel rear seat, because my wife insist). The factory exhaust will stay as is. The bike is everything I had planned it to be and I want to see how long a factory bike for $11,500 will suite me. In the past I was always hot for the latest gizmo farkle and that included full exhaust and a reflash. Now days I'm leaning for stock and sink the money into skills training.

But, that's just me, I wish you well with your quest, although getting a new bike is always better than a new exhaust, at least for me!!
Go to Top of Page

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17362 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 07/31/2020 :  2:08 PM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
What probably does not surprise most of you is that I'm frequently asked to opine on the subject of conspicuity. (Not just being seen but also being able to see.)

What has never been asked of me, however, is if I thought loud pipes are in any way potentially life saving. If asked, I'd readily admit that they are obnoxious and irritating to most people, but I've not yet formed an opinion about them being potentially life saving in nature.

Anybody want to toss in their opinion? or experiences? I'd sure appreiate it.
Go to Top of Page

Eagle Six
20 Posts

Snowflake, Arizona
USA

Kawasaki

ZX14R

Posted - 07/31/2020 :  4:17 PM
quote:
Originally posted by James R. Davis

Oh, I'm just full of opinion!!

I really like those well tuned pipes that sound like the bike is going fast when the bike is actually going fast. The exhaust that is almost silent when leaving or arriving in the neighbor at surface street speed which do not piss off the neighbors or friends, but when out in the canyons at high rpm sound something like a MotoGP bike cutting down the straight away!

Harley type of straight pipes, I'm not a fan. Obnoxious sport bike slip-ons that rattle my teeth going from block to block, I'm not a fan.

Are their some occurrences when a cage driver heard loud pipes coming and didn't run over the rider....probably, but where is the proof the loud pipes actually saved the day? I have heard a lot of claims, but haven't heard/seen any logical firm evidence.

I have Two Brother slip-ons on my ZX14r. They are quiet going through the neighborhood putting at 15 mph, and have a rasper when on the street. Louder than stock, but not real loud. They were on the bike by the previous owner. My wife likes them, I'm just OK with them. It certainly doesn't bother me to spend the money to replace them.

My other bike 2020 Ninja 1000SX still has the factory exhaust. A bit throaty when getting into the torque, but relatively quiet and I like it. Quiet in the neighborhood, quiet in traffic and quiet at highway speeds. I can hear the engine, but not an annoying blast from the exhaust.

I think rather than spend money or make modifications to the exhaust, if all that is wanted is be be heard for safety (as in loud pipes save lives), a better investment would be to add extra lights and color so one could be seen.

Hearing may help, but from what direction or where is the noise coming from. If other drivers/riders can see you, then the noise isn't necessary. Maybe a combination of lights, color, and noise is a better bet!

So I am also undecided, with the exception that I really don't like the obnoxious and irritating raw straight pipe that most often happens to be on a Harley or metric v-twin Harley wannabe.

Oh, disclaimer, I really like the sound of a straight piped Harley sitting there idling making that potato-potato-potato sound just on the edge of stalling out, which all gets ruined for me the moment the rider twist the throttle and blast my ears!!
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6937 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 08/01/2020 :  3:27 PM
quote:
Originally posted by James R. Davis

My main concern when riding is being visible to those that I'm approaching. The car at the side of the road that is about to pull out into my path or the oncoming car about to make a left turn across my path. I don't think loud pipes do much at all to help you get noticed by them. For riders in California that are splitting lanes in freeway traffic, they likely help people know you're coming from behind when they're looking to make a lane change into you, assuming they don't have their stereo up too loud.

When I'm stuck behind a group of straight pipe Harleys out in the country, especially when driving my convertible with the top down, it's totally annoying.

One reason that all of my helmets are bright colors is to help me be more visible to people that I'm approaching. I really have to wonder about the guy on a Goldwing or big adventure bike with the fluorescent yellow jacket but a black helmet. Because of the size of the fairings on those bikes, all you can see from in front is the helmet and their headlight. The jacket doesn't help much at all. Yes, they help people coming up behind you to see, but I consider that a very small percentage of the total risks from other traffic out there.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.29 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05