(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3456 positive of 3838 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Off Theme
 Gun Talk
 Another one of 'those' questions
Member  Discussion Topic Next Topic  

Mikeydude
Male Advanced Member
744 Posts
[Mentor]

Ft. Worth, Texas
USA

Harley-Davidson

03 FXD Super Glide

Posted - 09/19/2020 :  4:24 PM                       Like
We've recently gotten our carry weapons and the debate has come up over the proper care and cleaning.

Short version - what are the thoughts on oiling/lubing the inside of the barrel of a carry weapon? Is cleaning enough or do you use a CLP, or even a light lube?

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17362 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 09/19/2020 :  6:03 PM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Cash and I clean all contact surfaces and then follow by lubing them - lightly! I want only a thin film of oil left on the surfaces. I do not want them wet.

That includes the barrel. Especially on a carry weapon, more than a film attracts dust and particulates.
Go to Top of Page

Mikeydude
Male Advanced Member
744 Posts
[Mentor]

Ft. Worth, Texas
USA

Harley-Davidson

03 FXD Super Glide

Posted - 09/20/2020 :  11:42 AM
Thanks James - This came up because we were under the opinion of light lubing it, but a range instructor we recently spoke with said it's not necessary. There was talk about it affecting barrel pressure potentially causing problems. Then the mention of it burning off on the first round firing making it useless.

Is it more for rust prevention or to actually lube the barrel?

Go to Top of Page

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17362 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 09/20/2020 :  7:58 PM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Rust prevention.

BTW, the reason for only a light film instead of wet is to prevent slowing down that first bullet.
Go to Top of Page

Mikeydude
Male Advanced Member
744 Posts
[Mentor]

Ft. Worth, Texas
USA

Harley-Davidson

03 FXD Super Glide

Posted - 09/22/2020 :  8:20 PM
Thanks James - we kinda think alike... LOL!
Go to Top of Page

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17362 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 09/23/2020 :  9:02 AM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Your turn ...

I have multiple mags for my weapons and my guess is that you do too. I leave one mag empty in my safe because I worry that a full mag tends to weaken the spring in it and that will lead to misfires in the future. The problem with that is that I wonder, then, why have a spare mag at all?
Go to Top of Page

Mikeydude
Male Advanced Member
744 Posts
[Mentor]

Ft. Worth, Texas
USA

Harley-Davidson

03 FXD Super Glide

Posted - 09/23/2020 :  2:57 PM
I have 2 mags loaded at the house. Mine are 8 shot.

I had an instructor mention to me that most home invasions are usually done by more than one person - so a single mag might not be enough. It's the old adage - It's better to have and not need than to need and not have.

I carry a 2nd mag when going somewhere that I carry the pistol. I also take them both to the range to cut down on re-load time. They're cheap enough that it doesn't break the bank.

Note on the cleaning topic: I purchased some Hoppes #9 Bore Cleaner and it never dawned on me that it might be harmful to a nickel finish. I have a duo-tone pistol and Hoppes contains Ammonia. So I called both Bersa (gun manufacturer) and Hoppes for some answers. They said it won't harm the nickel finish as long as it's not left on there, and (according to Hoppes) should be neutralized with a light coating of oil. That was a good piece of info considering all the gun forums on the internet..
Go to Top of Page
   Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05