(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3456 positive of 3838 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 General Discussion
 Training fatality, September 2020
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

DataDan
Advanced Member
582 Posts
[Mentor]

Central Coast, CA
USA

Yamaha

FJR1300
Peer Review: 1

Posted - 09/29/2020 :  9:03 AM                       Like
A woman was killed in a training crash on September 27, 2020, in Columbus, Indiana. According to the Columbus Republic, a woman participant age 66 "lost control of a of 2020 Can Am Ryker and went off of the course and struck a metal storage container".

The training site is at the Columbus Municipal Airport, possibly here (Google Maps link).

Eagle Six
20 Posts

Snowflake, Arizona
USA

Kawasaki

ZX14R

Posted - 09/29/2020 :  11:20 AM
I suppose a storage container would be very much like a brick wall! I'm making some assumptions here and we know how that goes. It was a beginners course, could that have been the MSF Basic Riders Trike Course? I never paid much attention to it, but it doesn't seem to me they would have provided her with a 2020 model year 600/900 cc machine, as the BRC 2 wheel that I'm familiar with has students on 250cc class bikes. Regardless we know for a new rider (even experienced riders) on a 600cc bike, that gets away from us, things happen much faster than a 25 hp type machine, not that a little bike can not hurt us, just saying.

Or perhaps it was a mechanical failure, although I would think not likely. Or, perhaps there we some modifications or accessories that interfered, although I would think the instructors would have spotted anything adverse during the morning inspection.

Regardless, her family has my sympathy as this is not what was expected and we know regardless of details, it could have been prevented. It's another sad event. Perhaps Dan, as a training tool, you will be able to post the details when they are available.
Go to Top of Page

DataDan
Advanced Member
582 Posts
[Mentor]

Central Coast, CA
USA

Yamaha

FJR1300

Peer Review: 1

Posted - 09/29/2020 :  4:48 PM
The Ryker appears to be a pretty basic machine with a 600cc engine (900 optional), automatic transmission, and stability control starting at $8500.

According to MSF, for their 3-wheel basic course, "You may bring your own 3-wheel motorcycle, or one may be provided." However, Can-Am has their own training program, and Columbus, Indiana, is one of the listed sites. So I don't know whether this class was MSF or Can-Am or whether there's any difference between them--could be MSF curriculum, MSF-trained instructors, but subsidized by Can-Am.

It's unlikely that additional information will be available. All I have is the Republic story and the view of the range from the Google satellite.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.21 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05