(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3456 positive of 3838 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 General Discussion
 Wind Updraft
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

Mikeydude
Male Advanced Member
748 Posts
[Mentor]

Ft. Worth, Texas
USA

Harley-Davidson

03 FXD Super Glide

Posted - 03/27/2021 :  7:41 PM                       Like
I'm not sure if this is the right forum... feel free to move it if needed.

I've been dealing with an updraft on my scoot forever but I couldn't really locate it. When I ride at highway speeds (in the wind especially) my face shield will sometimes pop up. I can feel it lifting my helmet. It causes buffeting that rattles my helmet which, in turn, rattles my eye-glasses and screws with my vision a little. And it makes my helmet to helmet headset almost useless with wind noise.

I thought is was caused by my windshield at first but it feels like it's coming from below. So today I felt around and located it. I put my left hand on the right side just above waist level and a few inches forward of my belly. It seems to be coming from around the air cleaner area. It blows almost straight up directly into my face. It doesn't seem to be very big - maybe the diameter of a soccer ball - but it has quite a bit of push to it. When I shield it with my hand both the noise and the buffeting are diminished by a lot.

Does anyone have any experience with this phenomenon and maybe some solutions?

Thanks!

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6949 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 03/28/2021 :  7:41 AM
That's going to be a bike-specific issue. None of mine have had strange streams of air like that. But both of my current bikes have my face about even with the bars when I'm riding at speed.

I'm curious what helmet you use. A Shoei helmet is going to keep the face shield in place with something like that, which is why I like them. I have two AFX dual-sport helmets that could probably have a similar issue, though.
Go to Top of Page

Mikeydude
Male Advanced Member
748 Posts
[Mentor]

Ft. Worth, Texas
USA

Harley-Davidson

03 FXD Super Glide

Posted - 03/28/2021 :  3:04 PM
My helmet is an HJC. I agree it's a bike issue.

I looked at some deflectors online and I don't know if that would solve it. They all attach to the forks or triple tree. I can't seem to wrap my head around the idea that that is where it's coming from.
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6949 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 03/28/2021 :  5:05 PM
The air has to go past the forks to get to whatever is sending it up to your face. Disrupting the air there could very well solve the problem.
Go to Top of Page

Eagle Six
34 Posts

Snowflake, Arizona
USA

Kawasaki

ZX14R

Posted - 04/01/2021 :  8:46 AM
Just a thought, I would find some stiff cardboard, some duck tape and experiment. Cut it, shape it, tape it. Test ride. Again, make it larger, smaller, different shape, test ride. When you discover what works you can look for something more permanent to solve the issue.

Of course whatever I taped on I would assure it did not interfere with turning lock-to-lock, brake and clutch cables and suspension before test riding.
Go to Top of Page

Mikeydude
Male Advanced Member
748 Posts
[Mentor]

Ft. Worth, Texas
USA

Harley-Davidson

03 FXD Super Glide

Posted - 04/04/2021 :  10:57 AM
The deflectors I've looked at all attach to the triples. Since I have a windshield they wouldn't work. I was hoping someone here had some experience with them. The weird part is that it's only on my right side and not both.
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6949 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 04/05/2021 :  9:13 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Mikeydude

I was hoping someone here had some experience with them.
The few people that are regularly on here have bikes that are shaped quite differently, so they're not likely to experience the same issue. I would suggest trying to find a forum with a lot more bikes like yours and ask there.

I regularly visit forums specific to my two bikes and I can usually get a quick answer for common issues.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.26 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05