(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3459 positive of 3842 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 General Discussion
 Totaled - what does that mean?
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17396 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 06/29/2022 :  8:43 AM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend                        Like
Have you ever seen the results of an accident where the insurance company declared that the wrecked vehicle was 'totaled' when you saw what appeared to be only superficial damage?

I mean, say a motorcycle's front-end was crushed but the rest of the motorcycle was virtually pristine? That engine and body and luggage and upholstery was like new after the accident. Surely you wouldn't consider it 'totaled' yet the insurance company does.

Why?

Insurance companies are like any other business, trying to make a profit. If, after evaluating the cost to repair a vehicle they conclude that it will cost more than the vehicle was worth at the time of the accident, that vehicle has been totaled. They are right - from their perspective. I assure you that they do not credit sentimental value in their calculations.

While I'm in no position to speak for or against insurance company methods, I have had opportunity to look behind the scenes and observe what at least one such company goes through to determine what their liability is following an accident. I was amazed to see the documentation and effort put into determining (apparently, at least to me, all in good faith) what their liability was.

Don't forget, your policy may have a co-pay or deduction clause to it. That, too, in my opinion, is fair.

Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05