(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3458 positive of 3841 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Polls
 Loud Pipes
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

kiddal
Male Advanced Member
1561 Posts
[Mentor]

SE, Indiana
USA

Kawasaki

KLR650

Posted - 09/09/2005 :  2:29 PM   DetailDetail                        Like
Poll Question:
Have you modified your exhaust system in any way to change the sound of your motorcycle?

Results:
Yes   [44%] 39 votes 
No   [49%] 44 votes 
Yes, but I regret it   [1%] 1 votes 
Not yet, but I plan to   [6%] 5 votes 
= Guests (47 votes)

Poll Status: Closed  »»   Total Votes: 89 counted  »»   Last Vote: 10/05/2005 6:09 PM 

Edited by - kiddal on 10/05/2005 7:52 PM

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6954 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 09/09/2005 :  3:46 PM
Yes, but only a tiny bit louder. Like from 78 to 85 dB, not the typical 100+ that so many Ducati (especially Monster) riders seem to like.
Go to Top of Page

kiddal
Male Advanced Member
1561 Posts
[Mentor]

SE, Indiana
USA

Kawasaki

KLR650

Posted - 09/09/2005 :  8:40 PM
quote:
Originally posted by scottrnelson

Yes, but only a tiny bit louder. Like from 78 to 85 dB, not the typical 100+ that so many Ducati (especially Monster) riders seem to like.
What did you do to make it a "little" louder?
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6954 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 09/10/2005 :  11:38 AM
quote:
Originally posted by kiddal

What did you do to make it a "little" louder?

The Ducati mufflers have three chambers. Exhaust comes into chamber 1, goes through some tubes to chamber 3, goes through some more tubes to chamber 2, then through one tube that passes through chamber 3 and out the back. Cutting off the tubes in either chamber 2 or chamber 2 makes the engine sound like a proper Ducati, but not significantly louder. I opened up the middle and cut out the tubes in chamber 2 to shorten the path a little bit.

The engine sound gets out, but it's not deafening.
Go to Top of Page

marsam
Male Advanced Member
510 Posts
[Mentor]

Birkirkara
Malta

Yamaha

Dragstar & Vmax

Posted - 09/10/2005 :  1:15 PM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
I have replaced my stock mufflers on my Dragstar with Highway Hawk pipes. They are much louder than stock and if I had to do it allover I wouldnot select such a loud set.

On the other hand the previous owner of my Vmax had modified the original mufflers with a popular mod that is done to improve on the sound of the bike. In this case I would have never done this mod as it has altered the stock muffflers by drilling holes behind the endplate. It is non reversible and I don't like such mods.
Go to Top of Page

DoubleDip
262 Posts

Erlanger, Kentucky
USA

Yamaha

650 V-Star Silverado

Posted - 09/11/2005 :  12:51 PM
As a matter of fact when I set out on this adventure of scooter riding the bike I originally bought had a straight pipe on it and different jets and whatever else you have to do when you go to a straight pipe. I made the dealer change it back to stock cause I couldn't tolerate all that noise!!!!!!!

I appreciate and like the low throaty rumble of a big twin but I have abused my ears and hearing sufficiently in my life and must now cherish the hearing I have left.

Bruce
Go to Top of Page

Gs82Seca650
Male Advanced Member
1990 Posts
[Mentor]

Southern, PA
USA

Yamaha

1982 XJ 650 R Seca

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  1:54 PM
Hey Bruce,

I am with you bud. I like the rumble of a big twin (especially the harley V-twin!! ) But I DO NOT like the harley's with the drag pipes. In my opinion they are just obxinously loud and have no sound quality. The "screamin eagle" slip-on's give it a nice rumble without being too loud.

Just my .02 though.
Go to Top of Page

RyMan
25 Posts

Hoosick Falls, New York
USA

Yamaha

VStar 1100

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  2:44 PM
I have Cobra pipes (Slash Cut)& a K&N filter. Bike sounds great & I believe I bumped up the torque & horsepower with adding both of them.
Ryman
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05