(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3458 positive of 3841 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Polls
 Do you cover your brake lever?
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

dandrewk
Standard Member
156 Posts

San Rafael, CA
USA

Ducati

Multistrada 620 Dark

Posted - 09/09/2005 :  2:30 PM   DetailDetail                        Like
Poll Question:
There seems to be two schools of thought on this. Hough in his book recommends wrapping your fingers around the front brake grip for faster reaction times. Others think that this may lead to accidental accelerations (hitting a bump, etc.), so best to keep all finger on the grip.

Then there are those who only wrap -some- fingers around the lever.

Myself, I am trying to get used to keeping all four fingers around the brake lever. It was uncomfortable at first - hard to keep fingers extended and also control the throttle. After awhile, and adjusting hand position, I got used to it.

Results:
All four fingers around brake lever   [9%] 7 votes 
Two fingers on brake lever, two on grip   [22%] 17 votes 
Depends - I put fingers on brake lever ONLY in city streets, not freeway (or vice-versa)   [40%] 31 votes 
All four fingers around grip   [27%] 21 votes 
Moot point - I never use that front brake   [1%] 1 votes 
= Guests (42 votes)

Poll Status: Closed  »»   Total Votes: 77 counted  »»   Last Vote: 12/06/2005 5:16 PM 

Edited by - dandrewk on 09/09/2005 4:58 PM

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6954 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Peer Review: 1

Posted - 09/09/2005 :  3:49 PM
This poll wasn't open long. I missed the vote...

I'll move a few fingers to the brake lever if I think I might need to make a quick stop, like when lane splitting. Otherwise everything is on the grip.
---------- Edit ----------
I guess "someone" could maybe fix the poll software so that they need to remain open for a full week, or 24 hours, or something else reasonable. This one was closed again after only about 2 hours, then something changed and it reopened.

This isn't the first time a poll was created and closed itself the same day, even though the poll creator wanted to set it to one year.

Edited by - scottrnelson on 09/09/2005 5:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

dandrewk
Standard Member
156 Posts

San Rafael, CA
USA

Ducati

Multistrada 620 Dark

Posted - 09/09/2005 :  4:24 PM
quote:
Originally posted by scottrnelson

This poll wasn't open long. I missed the vote...

I'll move a few fingers to the brake lever if I think I might need to make a quick stop, like when lane splitting. Otherwise everything is on the grip.

Scott - it's still open. I just voted.
Go to Top of Page

kiddal
Male Advanced Member
1561 Posts
[Mentor]

SE, Indiana
USA

Kawasaki

KLR650

Posted - 09/09/2005 :  4:49 PM
quote:
Originally posted by dandrewk

Depends - I put fingers on brake lever ONLY in city streets, not freeway (or vice-versa)

This is the closest to what I do, but is not a very good description of what I do.

I cover the brake lever with 2 fingers (which is what I always use to brake) any time I feel a "threat". By threat I mean a car that may invade my right of way, a blind cross street, an intersection or anytime I feel "a lot" of things are happening at once. This could be anywhere at any time.

A better title may be "Do you cover your brake lever?". It's a little confusing what exactly you are asking.
Go to Top of Page

dandrewk
Standard Member
156 Posts

San Rafael, CA
USA

Ducati

Multistrada 620 Dark

Posted - 09/09/2005 :  4:58 PM
quote:
Originally posted by kiddal

A better title may be "Do you cover your brake lever?". It's a little confusing what exactly you are asking.

Done.
Go to Top of Page

Bean
Male Senior Member
260 Posts

Pinellas, FL
USA

Kawasaki

94' Vulcan 750

Posted - 09/10/2005 :  1:49 AM
I hover three fingers.
If I Know I'm about to use the break I switch to four. Same with the clutch.
I selected the four finger option in the poll since that's the closest to my answer.
Go to Top of Page

travismhood
64 Posts

american canyon, ca
USA

Yamaha

xs750 sf

Peer Review: -3

Posted - 09/10/2005 :  9:16 PM
God blesses slow thinkers with fast reactions.

I guess I'm from a third school of thought

Brakes: The proverbial security blanket. I understand it on the circle track because you pretty much know what to expect. In my opinion; covering the brakes just makes you a high strung individual and trouble will seek you out. I pay attention to reading the road and those on it. It's a waste of valuable (and limited) mental capacity, to worry about when you may have to brake. you'd be more likely to be supprised and lock em up. The throttle and steering gets me out of a lot more trouble than breaking wich sometimes leads to trouble. What if the needed emergincy manuver was to swerve or accelerate and you were anticipating the brake pull.

Four fingers on the brake. Hit a hole, lose grip, break teeth on tach or pop an unwelcome wheel stand. Two fingers. How strong can you pull with only two fingers as opposed to the slower reaction but added effectiveness of grabing a hand full of brake lever.

My foot is already covering the rear brake and that will probably slow me faster than two fingers. Also (people really disagree with me on this) I'm not afraid to stop hard with both tires smoking and I reccomend to all that they practice crazy swerves and lockups in safe locations. It's the difference between life and death. Many times we hear "there was nothing he/she/I could have done to avoid the accident" We cannot react to a situation we are not equiped to deal with; while another rider may have rode right through it.

Sharpening skills comes from practice, not experience. Experience makes you more complaceint about doing the same old things that you were doing in the first place. It matters not, how many times you get ran over by a Volvo. You'll never be a better rider untill you learn how to do the things that you fear doing.
Go to Top of Page

kiddal
Male Advanced Member
1561 Posts
[Mentor]

SE, Indiana
USA

Kawasaki

KLR650

Peer Review: -2

Posted - 09/10/2005 :  10:55 PM
quote:
Originally posted by travismhood

(people really disagree with me on this)

This is the only part of the post I agree with. The rest is junk.
Go to Top of Page

dandrewk
Standard Member
156 Posts

San Rafael, CA
USA

Ducati

Multistrada 620 Dark

Peer Review: -3

Posted - 09/11/2005 :  1:50 AM
quote:
Originally posted by travismhood

God blesses slow thinkers with fast reactions.

I guess I'm from a third school of thought

Brakes: The proverbial security blanket.

<snip>

I have only one response.

R.I.P.
Go to Top of Page

travismhood
64 Posts

american canyon, ca
USA

Yamaha

xs750 sf

Peer Review: -1

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  11:44 PM
What no fire power? If there is a better way to skin a cat, clue me in. Am I too dogmatic? I must revise one of my thoughts after getting to know my receintly purchased 1996 Virago 750. Two fingers on the front provides stopping power comparable to stomping on the rear. I've ridden plenty of machines but the ones that I'm most familiar with are antiquated and the old triple's so heavy that I'm tempted to use "flintstone augmentation" when stopping. So I've been trying it and I still don't see what the deal is. ?? I especially think that It sacrifices handling and throttle control. Seems to be next to impossible to completely close the throttle, maintain a propper grip and effectivly get full use out of the brake.

If potshots is all I recieve for (at least some merit contributed).. Well I guess that there's some intertainment in that. I can't complain. Will the tongue face help?
Go to Top of Page

timbo
Advanced Member
594 Posts

Uxbridge
United Kingdom

BMW

R1100S

Posted - 09/23/2005 :  6:03 AM
Travis,

If what you are saying is that you don't cover your brake lever, fine. I don't either.

As to practicing emergency stops, also fine. But what you are saying about stamping on the rear brake is pretty dubious. Rear wheel lock ups should be discouraged, and your phrasing of what you do could be easily misinterpreted by new riders.

Tim

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.43 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05