(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3458 positive of 3841 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Polls
 Performance Modifications
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

Mikey
Male Senior Member
287 Posts

Benton, Kentucky
USA

Harley-Davidson

FLHTCI/XL/FXDL

Posted - 09/12/2005 :  3:46 PM   DetailDetail                        Like
Poll Question:
What engine performance modifications have you done to your motorcycle?
(Check all that apply)

Results:
Low restriction air filter   [78%] 21 votes 
Headers/Drag pipes/Low restriction mufflers   [81%] 22 votes 
High lift camshafts   [4%] 1 votes 
Headwork   [7%] 2 votes 
Boring/Stroking   [11%] 3 votes 
Nitrous Oxide Injection   [4%] 1 votes 
Supercharger   [4%] 1 votes 
High output ignition /Power Commander   [22%] 6 votes 
= Guests (13 ballots)

Poll Status: Closed  »»   Total Ballots: 27 »»   Last Vote: 09/25/2005 10:28 AM 

kiddal
Male Advanced Member
1561 Posts
[Mentor]

SE, Indiana
USA

Kawasaki

KLR650

Posted - 09/12/2005 :  4:28 PM
No "None of the above" option?
Go to Top of Page

DoubleDip
262 Posts

Erlanger, Kentucky
USA

Yamaha

650 V-Star Silverado

Posted - 09/12/2005 :  6:45 PM
None of the above
Bruce
Go to Top of Page

Gs82Seca650
Male Advanced Member
1990 Posts
[Mentor]

Southern, PA
USA

Yamaha

1982 XJ 650 R Seca

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  8:53 AM
I made a small modification to my stock exhaust last night. I drilled 4 evenly spaced holes at the back of the canister to open it up some. It made the exhust louder, but no where near obnixous. I took it out for a test drive afterwards and it ran strong, I am happy with it. I plan on adding a low restriction air filter over the winter or maybe scrapping the stock air box altogether and just putting K&N Pod filters on the bike. Of course there will need to be carb jettin changes if I go that route. I'll have to see if the budget will allow for it when the time comes.
Go to Top of Page

amhopf
Male Standard Member
216 Posts

Littleton, Colorado
USA

Honda

02 VFR800 ABS

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  9:45 AM
I also changed to larger jets and made my air box less restrictive by cutting some of the extra plastic out.
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6954 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  11:21 AM
There is more to performance than just acceleration.

How about getting forks and shocks reworked, brake improvements, and lighter wheels?
Go to Top of Page

Mikey
Male Senior Member
287 Posts

Benton, Kentucky
USA

Harley-Davidson

FLHTCI/XL/FXDL

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  11:53 AM
quote:
Originally posted by kiddal

No "None of the above" option?

You're right and I considered putting a "None of the Above" in after I posted the poll...sorry about that!
Mikey
Go to Top of Page

Mikey
Male Senior Member
287 Posts

Benton, Kentucky
USA

Harley-Davidson

FLHTCI/XL/FXDL

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  11:59 AM
quote:
Originally posted by scottrnelson

There is more to performance than just acceleration.

How about getting forks and shocks reworked, brake improvements, and lighter wheels?

I agree with you; I used engine modifications only just to simplify the poll answers. Would you care to post a poll based on chassis modifications?
Mikey
Go to Top of Page

Gs82Seca650
Male Advanced Member
1990 Posts
[Mentor]

Southern, PA
USA

Yamaha

1982 XJ 650 R Seca

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  1:50 PM
Amhopf,

What all was involved in the change to the larger jets? Did you have to get the carbs balenced then? Or do you only have on carb?

I am considering getting the tool to balence the carbs myself, just curious about your situation.......take care.
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6954 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  3:35 PM
To answer the last two posts:

I'm not interested in posting any more polls. I feel that there are way too many on this forum as is. I'm still waiting for the novelty to die down.

As for changing the jets in your carburetors, you can read about what was involved the last time I rejetted a bike here: http://www.ducatimonster.org/faq/faq_jetkit.html

Getting the carburetors balanced is a separate issue. In my case, they were balanced when I took them off to change the jets and remained balanced when I put them back on the bike.
Go to Top of Page

kiddal
Male Advanced Member
1561 Posts
[Mentor]

SE, Indiana
USA

Kawasaki

KLR650

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  4:51 PM
quote:

I'm not interested in posting any more polls. I feel that there are way too many on this forum as is. I'm still waiting for the novelty to die down.
Why do you visit the "Polls" forum?
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6954 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 09/14/2005 :  11:06 AM
quote:
Originally posted by kiddal

quote:

Why do you visit the "Polls" forum?

I visit "Active Topics" and the polls just show up. Besides, sometimes the text in the polls contain things worth commenting on, like how hard it might be to rejet carburetors.
Go to Top of Page

Gs82Seca650
Male Advanced Member
1990 Posts
[Mentor]

Southern, PA
USA

Yamaha

1982 XJ 650 R Seca

Posted - 09/14/2005 :  11:51 AM
Good article Scott, thanks for the link!

Did you have to consult with the jet kit mfg. in regards to the position of the circle clip on the needle? Did you have to take the carbs back off after you initially installed them to make the mixture screw adjustments? Finally how many carbs does your ducati's have? (I have 4 to deal with if I do this...not fun)
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6954 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 09/14/2005 :  1:47 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Gs82Seca650

Good article Scott, thanks for the link!

Did you have to consult with the jet kit mfg. in regards to the position of the circle clip on the needle? Did you have to take the carbs back off after you initially installed them to make the mixture screw adjustments? Finally how many carbs does your ducati's have? (I have 4 to deal with if I do this...not fun)

The Factory Pro jet kit recommended the middle clip position on the needle and that's what I used. I did have to consult with them about the float height, though, because I couldn't believe that they were recommending 14mm and my measurement for the factory setting was 9mm. A 5mm difference is very big here, but that's what it was supposed to be. And it worked very well with the new float height. I called Factory Pro on a Saturday and they were very helpful. I always recommend their jet kits when anyone asks.

Mixture screw adjustments can be made externally on the Mikuni carburetors. But I removed the carburetors one more time many months later to switch to a richer main jet and make the needle a bit leaner. After the second adjustment the carburetion was very close to perfect for all conditions.

The carbureted Ducatis have one carburetor per cylinder and all street bikes they've sold in the past 15 years have been V-twins, so the answer to the last question is two.
Go to Top of Page

Gs82Seca650
Male Advanced Member
1990 Posts
[Mentor]

Southern, PA
USA

Yamaha

1982 XJ 650 R Seca

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  6:47 AM
Thanks again for the reply Scott, I apprecieate it.
I think I am going to try to tackle this over the winter, I will probably go with Factory Pro based on your reccomendation.

I thought the Duc's were V-twins, but I wasn't sure. I think they are awesome bikes personally.

Thanks.

Edited by - Gs82Seca650 on 09/15/2005 6:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

jollyroger
Advanced Member
2157 Posts
[Mentor]

St. Charles, MO
USA

Harley-Davidson

Springer Classic

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  12:22 PM
quote:
...Besides, sometimes the text in the polls contain things worth commenting on, like how hard it might be to rejet carburetors.

This was my assertion when the polling started, that is, that it would kill discussions on what has become "polled" subjects.
For the most part, the topics are still discussed.
I personally agree with you on the polls, but have somewhat softened my stance:
1) I don't think it should be the first thing you see when you open this site--if you want to vote in a poll, you'll find it.
B) I think the polls should be stand-alone, where discussion of the poll is blocked...if you want to start a discussion, make a *new topic*.
Some of the topics of the polls would make decent discussion on the General forum, without the administrator having to resurrect old topics for rehash...MHO

Edited by - jollyroger on 09/15/2005 2:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

don_hud
Advanced Member
1077 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, Texas
USA

Yamaha

1997 Virago XV1100

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  2:51 PM
I agree that a poll does not require any comments or discussions. The purpose of a poll is to gather statistics. If it generates a lot of comments, then it probably should have been a discussion topic and not a poll. In that respect, that many of the recent polls have generated a lot of comments, polls have probably been over done. Probably because of the novelty of their newness.

So it would probably be better in the future to think about poll topics and the options provided, and do the selections provide any worthwhile statistical information or do they just ask for answers that can lead to additional explanations and discussions.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05