(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3458 positive of 3841 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Polls
 Lane splitting
Next Page
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

fz6yamaha
Standard Member
242 Posts

USA

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  7:31 AM   DetailDetail                        Like
Poll Question:
Do you agree that lane splitting should become legal in states where it is not now legal?

Results:
Yes   [45%] 49 votes 
No   [38%] 41 votes 
I would like it to be considered   [17%] 19 votes 
= Guests (42 votes)

Poll Status: Closed  »»   Total Votes: 109 counted  »»   Last Vote: 12/24/2005 10:45 AM 

swamp
10 Posts

Manchester, England
United Kingdom

Suzuki

SV650S

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  9:22 AM
In the UK it is legal. So if you have a traffic jam of a few miles long on the freeway / motorway would you just sit and wait in the queue for hours with all the cages. Makes using the bike seem pointless for daily commuting. Can you get booked by the police for lane splitting over there ?

I would think that America in general would want to get more people using bikes, and more efficient smaller forms of transport for that matter, rather than clog the roads with bigger SUV's and 4x4's using more gas and causing greater pollution. Giving more incentives to ride a bike and or smaller cars seems sensible and allowing bikers to lane split to beat very slow or stationary traffic on congested roads would be an incentive for people to ditch the SUV for the bike to get to work.

Go to Top of Page

Thom Thumb
Advanced Member
1595 Posts
[Mentor]

Jordan, MN
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster XL883

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  10:24 AM
I'm inclined to say "Yes", but with the provisoes;

That lane splitting only be permitted on roads where there are at least two lanes of traffic in each direction, the intent being to prevent splitting against on-coming traffic.

That lane splitting only be permitted in traffic jams.

Canyon crashers who pass cars on twisty roads in the face of on-coming traffic are not lane splitting.

TT
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6954 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  11:11 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Thom Thumb

That lane splitting only be permitted in traffic jams.

I define any traffic going less than the speed limit as a traffic jam.

Otherwise, I agree completely.
Go to Top of Page

Gs82Seca650
Male Advanced Member
1990 Posts
[Mentor]

Southern, PA
USA

Yamaha

1982 XJ 650 R Seca

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  11:19 AM
LOL Scott!

Swamp, I agree with a lot of what you are stating, and yes you can AND WILL be ticketed for lane splitting here in the states where it is illegal to do so. Even if it were legal, I still do not believe I would do it.

I couldn't agree more with your statement about getting more of my fellow americans to purchase scoots and smaller, fuel efficient vehicles.

We need to do something in this country (in my humble opinion) to cut back on our oil consumption, both for our environment and the economy.

If we could scale back our consumption by a notable margin, the oil companies would likely scale back the gas prices due to reduced demand for their product. I purchased a Honda Civic new this year and it gets very good gas milage. I do own a pickup, but it is not my everyday vehicle.

I doubt any change will occur over here until people are FORCED to do it by extremely high gas prices and the like. It's their choice though, and that's what makes America a great country, (again in my opinion)

Just some food for thought.

Edited by - Gs82Seca650 on 09/28/2005 11:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

swamp
10 Posts

Manchester, England
United Kingdom

Suzuki

SV650S

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  4:23 PM
Over here in the UK most bikers will 'filter' to the front of a queue of stationary or slow traffic if it is safe to do so. This is easiest on 2 or 3 lane carriageways with wide lanes. When the cars are stopped at the lights and if the light has just gone on red filtering to the front is safe IMHO. Also since bikes are so fast off the mark you soon get out of the way and back to a lane center when the lights turn green leaving the boxes behind. The only risky bit here is :-

1. Check for someone jumping the red light crossing your path before you gun it when your light goes green.
2. Try and not stall it at the front ;) makes you look stupid and gets you stuck between lanes of cars. Not nice.

A big advantage is that is puts you in front of all the cars and trucks creating some distance and space between you and them once your light goes green. Although you usually just catch up to the cars in front queuing at the next set of lights or the ones you left behind catch you up.
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6954 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  4:37 PM
To add to what Swamp said, when I'm in a car and coming up on a "stale green light", I'm usually chanting "stay green, stay green". When I'm on a motorcycle I'm usually chanting "go red, go red". Red lights are a great opportunity to get past groups of traffic.
Go to Top of Page

fz6yamaha
Standard Member
242 Posts

USA

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  8:45 PM
Well my friends, the US is doing something, little by little, first the gas prices are killing us and second the hybrid cars sales are increasing, been Prius and CIvic the number ones, at home we are researching to go Hybrid and see how it goes, but that is another pole. In europe hybrids sales are off the hook because the gas prices may get all the way up to $5 a gallon.

So , bigger demand, lower cost, more hybrid, I do not want to speed in my car I just want to save in gas, if I want speed I will leave for the track.

Go Hybrids.

Here is a good site about these type of fuel efficient cars.
http://hybridcars.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mydlyfkryzis
274 Posts
[Mentor]

West Milford, NJ
USA

Honda

1991 Nighthawk 750

Posted - 10/07/2005 :  4:44 PM
I am for limited lane splitting. Filtering up to the front at a red light, highway traffic jams under 10moh.. Fairly safe stuff.

I don't like lane splitting on the highway at the speed limit. I know driving in the cage I have been startled by bikers illegally splitting when it wasn't prudent to do so. I tend to look for bikers, but when they are going 20 MPH faster than traffic and pass between 2 cars, it is very startling. It is not good to startle people.

Go to Top of Page

locopez
22 Posts

Folsom, Ca
USA

Harley-Davidson

FLHT

Posted - 10/07/2005 :  8:55 PM
quote:
Originally posted by scottrnelson

To add to what Swamp said, when I'm in a car and coming up on a "stale green light", I'm usually chanting "stay green, stay green". When I'm on a motorcycle I'm usually chanting "go red, go red". Red lights are a great opportunity to get past groups of traffic.

I am for the go red...when I am on my bike.....
Go to Top of Page

marsam
Male Advanced Member
510 Posts
[Mentor]

Birkirkara
Malta

Yamaha

Dragstar & Vmax

Posted - 10/13/2005 :  1:20 AM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Lane splitting is legal in Malta. I wouldn't mind it being legalised in all US States. The problem appears to be, from what I'v read in other posts on this board, that lane splitting in certain parts of the US is not accepted or supported by cage drivers.
Go to Top of Page

locopez
22 Posts

Folsom, Ca
USA

Harley-Davidson

FLHT

Posted - 10/13/2005 :  8:32 AM
Marsam,

Even where it is legal...the cage driver either don't know it legal or upset because they are left sitting in the traffic. I believe that most do not know that it is legal.
Go to Top of Page

Lithorien
Male Junior Member
68 Posts

Bremerton, Washington
USA

Honda

Rebel 250 (CMX)

Posted - 10/30/2005 :  11:26 PM
I would say no, because from what I've seen of it done here in WA (illegally, I believe, for this state) it seems like a dangerous activity that invites accidents. Especially considering the proximity of your bike to the cars, with drivers who may end up being very aggrivated at your (it seems) arrogance at cutting in the line. It seems to invite road rage, from my perceptions, and that's never a good thing.
Go to Top of Page

qball
18 Posts

Los Angeles, CA
USA

Honda

CBR600RR

Posted - 10/31/2005 :  12:22 PM
Well I live in Los Angeles where lane splitting is legal. The only condition is that it be done in a "safe and prudent manner". Because of the utterly obsene level of traffic, anyone who rides a motorcycle regularly will eventually learn to lane-split out of frustration, and will eventually come to embrace lane splitting.

Having said that, I actually do respect the argument that it startles drivers, encourages road rage, and can be dangerous if not done properly. If lane splitting was limited so it was only legal for
* traffic jams/very slow moving traffic, and
* pulling to the front of the queue at red lights,
I actually wouldn't have a problem with that because these are the main circumstances where riders are compelled to lane-split, lane splitting under these circumstances is relatively safe, and it relieves traffic congestion because motorcycles are out of the way to make room for more cars.

My personal experience in this area has been that a some drivers are quite polite and will make room, most don't care that much, and a small percentage get angry (but really can't do much about it).

So in areas where lane splitting is not already legal and traffic is a problem, I think it should be made legal under the specific conditions I mentioned above.

Go to Top of Page

Lithorien
Male Junior Member
68 Posts

Bremerton, Washington
USA

Honda

Rebel 250 (CMX)

Posted - 10/31/2005 :  4:45 PM
quote:
Originally posted by qball

...it relieves traffic congestion because motorcycles are out of the way to make room for more cars.

That's an extremely good point to bring up. Do you have any information on how much it helps congestion? I'd like to think there's been at least one study done on the effects of lane splitting.

If this is true, that's a good argument for it.
Go to Top of Page

locopez
22 Posts

Folsom, Ca
USA

Harley-Davidson

FLHT

Posted - 11/02/2005 :  9:49 AM
Unfortuantely I have a story that I just experienced about a week ago. This is one of the reason most cage drivers get upset at motorcycle riders. I was riding into work on the freeway. I was in the fast lane, going freeway speed. I notcied in the mirrors a bike approaching at a hig rate of speed. It was early in the morning, the commute was fairly light. I was riding in the right position of the lane. This guy passes me on the left, then cuts right in front of me an splits between two cars to get off the freeway...so he crossed four lanes. To get to the off ramp. The way I firgure it he will not live much longer riding like that. It is really sad that cage drivers have to experience this, and lump all rides into their hate memories. The guy was lucky I was paying attention and did not drift over...for that matter so am I. This really upsets me. I enjoy having the option to split lanes in traffic. And guys like this make it look like a bad practice. Oh well ride safe.
Go to Top of Page

FRE
Standard Member
219 Posts

Albuquerque, NM
USA

Kawasaki

Ninja 500

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  1:16 AM
I think that lane splitting should be legal only when the traffic has stopped dead. Perhaps it should be limited to roads which have lanes wide enough to make it safe in which case signs should state whether lane splitting is permitted or not.

I've heard that where lane splitting is legal, some car drivers don't know that it is legal and sometimes take dangerous action to stop a bike from lane splitting. Where it is legal, car drivers should be alerted to the fact to prevent such problems.
Go to Top of Page

qball
18 Posts

Los Angeles, CA
USA

Honda

CBR600RR

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  7:06 PM
quote:
Originally posted by FRE
I think that lane splitting should be legal only when the traffic has stopped dead.

Here in L.A. that's something like most of the time
Motorcycle cops here aggressively lane split (Good for them IMO. After all, they have to get to incidents, accident scenes, etc.) A driver would have to have some kind of audacity to try to cut off a cop. I personally have never been endangered by a cage driver trying to prevent me from splitting. More people actually try make a little room than try to cut me off.

But having said that, I try not to piss anyone off and try to only do it when traffic is going very slow or stopped dead (which again is like all of the time around here).
Go to Top of Page

Edster
Starting Member
5 Posts

Norfolk, Virginia
USA

Harley-Davidson

XL1200S

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  5:41 PM
I did it when I was in Japan (legal) but am sketchy to do it in Virginia, 1. it is illegal. 2. Road Rage from the cagers.
BTW Americans are some of the rudest drivers in the world. That's so disappointing.
Go to Top of Page

aa6vh
Male Standard Member
165 Posts

Oxnard, CA
USA

Suzuki

Burgman 650

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  9:38 AM
Recently there was a big flap in the San Francisco bay area when a local disk jockey was complaining about lane splitting, and advocating that cagers open their car doors on the bikers splitting lanes.

Needless to say the response from the motorcycle community was swift and loud - and said disc jockey has been having to profusely apologize since.

If you want to read more:
http://www.motorcycledaily.com/17ja...06_woody.htm
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6954 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  10:47 AM
If you have a few hours to kill and want to read a lot more, you can try this one: http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/f...eadid=149060
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.68 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05