(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3459 positive of 3842 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Polls
 What color helmet is the most visible during daytime?
Next Page
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

dandrewk
Standard Member
156 Posts

San Rafael, CA
USA

Ducati

Multistrada 620 Dark

Posted - 10/10/2005 :  12:55 PM   No DetailNo Detail                        Like
Poll Question:
I have asked this question to dealers and riders. Opinions seem to differ.

IMHO, no helmet color is better than another at night. Wearing a halo or reflective stickers help here.

Results:
Wine Red   [3%,2%] 3 votes 
Candy Red   [3%,3%] 4 votes 
Silver   [14%,4%] 12 votes 
White   [17%,41%] 38 votes 
Graphics   [3%,9%] 8 votes 
= Guests (26 votes)

Poll Status: Closed  »»   Total Votes: 65 counted  »»   Last Vote: 11/10/2005 3:44 PM 

Gs82Seca650
Male Advanced Member
1990 Posts
[Mentor]

Southern, PA
USA

Yamaha

1982 XJ 650 R Seca

Posted - 10/10/2005 :  1:18 PM
Why was this poll locked? I would have responded with white, but that's just my opinion. I also like white to reflect as much sunlight/heat energy as possible. I do feel it makes a difference in that regard as I have had black helmets in the past.
Go to Top of Page

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17384 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 10/10/2005 :  1:20 PM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
It appears that a new poll that has NO EXPIRATION DATE specified appears to behave like the expiration date is NOW. I will check it out but for now I will change this poll to have a nearterm closing date and open it.
Go to Top of Page

Gs82Seca650
Male Advanced Member
1990 Posts
[Mentor]

Southern, PA
USA

Yamaha

1982 XJ 650 R Seca

Posted - 10/10/2005 :  1:22 PM
10-4, thanks James.
Go to Top of Page

Thom Thumb
Advanced Member
1595 Posts
[Mentor]

Jordan, MN
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster XL883

Posted - 10/10/2005 :  3:37 PM
Wouldn't having a halo pretty much imply that one is not a very safe rider?

TT
Go to Top of Page

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17384 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 10/10/2005 :  3:40 PM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Nope. It would imply that the person wasn't (past tense) a safe rider, but was otherwise a pretty decent fella.
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6955 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 10/10/2005 :  6:07 PM
Yellow shows up better than white. Orange often shows up better than yellow, but only KTM and Kawasaki make bikes that go with Orange.

My vote would have gone with yellow if it had been one of the choices.
Go to Top of Page

kiddal
Male Advanced Member
1561 Posts
[Mentor]

SE, Indiana
USA

Kawasaki

KLR650

Posted - 10/10/2005 :  6:32 PM
The research I have read always points to white being the most "under-represented" in accidents. Whether it's because it's more noticable or not is another question, I guess.

quote:
Originally posted by dandrewk

IMHO, no helmet color is better than another at night.

You really don't think there is a difference between seeing a black object and a white one at night?
Go to Top of Page

amazngrace
Male Standard Member
204 Posts

Townsend, Virginia
USA

Kawasaki

1986 Concours

Posted - 10/10/2005 :  7:31 PM
I for one do not have any doubt that a white helmet is more easily seen at night than a helmet of any color that is dark.However, in the overall big picture of the entire bike and rider being seen, I think helmet color is pretty low on the scale.

Reflective material on the helmet goes a lot farther in enhancing your visibility to others than the color of the helmet.

White and black are the only colors I've owned, but I always put scotchlite on the sides and back.

...ED

Go to Top of Page

Mydlyfkryzis
274 Posts
[Mentor]

West Milford, NJ
USA

Honda

1991 Nighthawk 750

Posted - 10/10/2005 :  7:35 PM
FWIW, I have an HJC AC-11 Zeek, a LOUD black/white/red grphic design.

NJ requires 4 Square inches of reflective surface on the helmet.
At the State inspection, the inspector looked at my helmet. I pointed out the American Flag on the back was reflective material. He said it didn't matter as the Helmet was brightly colored and didn't need the material. The Bike ahead of me, who's owner wasn't around when the inspector started on my bike, came out of the MV office with reflective tape, added it to his helemt and showed the inspector. He then got his sticker. His helmet was Flat Black (a half helmet, as many Harley Riders are apt to wear).

So evidently, NJ regards Brightly colored Helemts to have the same noticeability as a helemt with added reflectability.

I always add reflective material to my helmet. The moving, reflective light has to help at least a little with the motorcycle invisibility factor.

Edited by - Mydlyfkryzis on 10/10/2005 7:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

amazngrace
Male Standard Member
204 Posts

Townsend, Virginia
USA

Kawasaki

1986 Concours

Posted - 10/10/2005 :  7:40 PM
Kiddal, To tell the truth, I don't see many bikers with white helmets anymore. Maybe that accounts for the accident stats ?

...ED
Go to Top of Page

dandrewk
Standard Member
156 Posts

San Rafael, CA
USA

Ducati

Multistrada 620 Dark

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  11:19 AM
My bad - I completely forgot yellow. Most likely it is tops in visibility, save for safety orange.

Still, it was interesting to see that white scored highest. I keep thinking white would blend too much in bright, sunny light, and that perhaps silver or bright (candy) red would get more votes.
Go to Top of Page

ZKP
Starting Member
2 Posts

Stockton, CA
USA

Harley-Davidson

Street Rod

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  2:34 PM
In my opinion I'd prefer a sunshine yellow in daytime. White would be second choice because Highway patrol's helmets are usually white - we all watch out for them

But there's some evidence to a white helmet being the better choice as published in a 2004 study by the British Medical Journal
here
Go to Top of Page

kiddal
Male Advanced Member
1561 Posts
[Mentor]

SE, Indiana
USA

Kawasaki

KLR650

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  4:24 PM
quote:
Originally posted by amazngrace

I don't see many bikers with white helmets anymore. Maybe that accounts for the accident stats ?

The statistics reflect the ratio. So the relative popularity of white is not important in the calculations.

Go to Top of Page

Indiana Randy
2118 Posts
[Mentor]

Fort Wayne, Indiana
USA

Honda

2000 Magna V4 750

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  4:29 PM
I read studies that conclude WHITE is the most visible colored helmet day or night. I've read studies that indicate reflective material on ANY color helmet dramatically improve presence at night.

I have a reflective 'halo' around my full face helmet and it DOES illuminate in others lights.

I've noticed other riders with helmets and have seen that the most obvious were the white helmets and least obvious were the black helmets. If the debate is over white or yellow or silver, I'd conclude it doesn't matter as long as it's a light color. Bonus points to those who have reflective tape on the helmet also.

If you really want to take it a step up, there are LED lights you can affix to the back of your helmet which flash/shine when you apply the brakes.

Go to Top of Page

dandrewk
Standard Member
156 Posts

San Rafael, CA
USA

Ducati

Multistrada 620 Dark

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  5:21 PM
Well, I couldn't decide between yellow, white, silver or blue (the color of my bike). So I went for all four.

Go to Top of Page

marsam
Male Advanced Member
510 Posts
[Mentor]

Birkirkara
Malta

Yamaha

Dragstar & Vmax

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  12:47 PM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
I think yellow is only better than white during daylight in bad weather and especially fog.
Go to Top of Page

SteveS
Male Advanced Member
1208 Posts
[Mentor]

Toronto, Ontario
Canada

Harley-Davidson

2018 Tri-Gliide

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  2:46 PM
Since I own a white helmet. I won't argue. I also use silver and black with orange flames.

My rain jacket is orange and I feel very visible useing it in any condition when visibility is anything but 100%
Go to Top of Page

kiddal
Male Advanced Member
1561 Posts
[Mentor]

SE, Indiana
USA

Kawasaki

KLR650

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  7:32 PM
This seems to support white as most visible:

http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/cont...328/7444/857

Go to Top of Page

BadaBing
Male Advanced Member
1196 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Harley-Davidson

Heritage Classic 04

Posted - 10/21/2005 :  10:31 PM
quote:
Originally posted by scottrnelson

Yellow shows up better than white. Orange often shows up better than yellow, but only KTM and Kawasaki make bikes that go with Orange.

I have to agree with ScottRNelson with yellow. Intuitively, one would think white was the most visible color, but based on the physiology of the eye with its array of cones and rods, it has been demonstrated the yellow gets one attention the quickest.

Ciao,

BadaBing
Go to Top of Page

aleks
Male Junior Member
78 Posts

Galilee
Israel

Suzuki

GZ

Posted - 10/23/2005 :  3:05 AM
quote:
Originally posted by scottrnelson

I actually think that yellow isn't better than white. If you check the statistic about accidents/color, you will see that yellow was involved more than other colors. Yellow is like sun light.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.61 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05