(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3458 positive of 3841 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Polls
 What color helmet is the most visible during daytime?
Previous Page
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

FRE
Standard Member
219 Posts

Albuquerque, NM
USA

Kawasaki

Ninja 500

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  1:26 AM
Somewhere I read that yellow is the most visible color, so I bought a yellow helmet and a jacket with yellow and white stripes. Visibility was the ONLY consideration when I chose the color.
Go to Top of Page

Edster
Starting Member
5 Posts

Norfolk, Virginia
USA

Harley-Davidson

XL1200S

Posted - 01/13/2006 :  4:32 AM
I got a white full face I use for commuting and a black 3/4 for cruisin. Both are Arai and both are SNELL. This was before all the controversy. I'm going to add some reflective tape as well. And as I am USN I must wear the reflective vest. But I got the icon job so it looks cool.
Go to Top of Page

jboogie
26 Posts

santa monica, CA
USA

Triumph

Speed Four

Posted - 01/14/2006 :  5:55 PM
I use a silver RF-1000 Shoei with a shiney aluminum sticker on the back of the helmet.

BTW everyone is quoting crash statistics based on helmet color, but where are the sources of the claims, i would like to review.
Go to Top of Page

waverider
11 Posts

Victoria, BC
Canada

Kawasaki

Z750S

Posted - 03/18/2006 :  10:17 PM
quote:
Originally posted by jboogie

I use a silver RF-1000 Shoei with a shiney aluminum sticker on the back of the helmet.

BTW everyone is quoting crash statistics based on helmet color, but where are the sources of the claims, i would like to review.

jboogie - Here's a link to an Australian study that found white helmets to be involved in 25% less accidents than black helmets. It also found light coloured helmets to be involved in 19% less accidents than black.

http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/cont...328/7444/857

I wonder though if persons who choose white or light coloured helmets are generally more interested in riding safer and that is the reason or partial reason for the lower accident statistics???
Go to Top of Page
Niebor
Ex-Member

Posted - 03/19/2006 :  8:15 AM
Keep in mind, those who would choose to wear a highly visable color are also likely to be the safer riders. Therefore, the statistics may be somewhat slewed. Not to say visability is not a good thing. In fact, if a lighter color is merely associated as a safer rider, i'm all for it.
Go to Top of Page

FRE
Standard Member
219 Posts

Albuquerque, NM
USA

Kawasaki

Ninja 500

Posted - 03/19/2006 :  5:41 PM
My helmet is yellow. I chose the color because I'd somewhere read that it is more visible than other colors.

At least two posts indicate that riders with white helmets are involved in fewer accidents than riders wearing helmets of other colors. It is unclear how to evaluate that statement. If we had additional information, including what percentage of riders have the various colors, we'd be in a better position to determine the relative safety of the different colors. But even the, we couldn't be sure. It could be that unsafe riders favor different colors than safe riders favor.

Somewhere I read that for visibility, the color of the helmet is the most important, the color of the jacket is second in importance, and that the color of the bike doesn't much matter. Presumably that's because the bike is lower and therefore less directly in the line of sight of car drivers.
Go to Top of Page

BrianG
Male Standard Member
108 Posts

Oklahoma City, OK
USA

Honda

06' Goldwing Airbag

Posted - 04/16/2006 :  12:25 PM
I have a white full-face helmet. I also bought some cool reflective stickers which are obvious around the back of my head. They are highly reflective when headlights hit them at night. Also put reflective decals on the back of my bike for the same reason.

Thanks,
Brian G
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05