(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3458 positive of 3841 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Polls
 How long is your riding season?
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

kiddal
Male Advanced Member
1561 Posts
[Mentor]

SE, Indiana
USA

Kawasaki

KLR650

Posted - 10/13/2005 :  8:57 PM   DetailDetail                        Like
Poll Question:
How many months a year do you ride?

Results:
12   [46%] 44 votes 
11   [2%] 2 votes 
10   [10%] 10 votes 
9   [13%] 12 votes 
8   [9%] 9 votes 
7   [13%] 12 votes 
6   [6%] 6 votes 
5   [1%] 1 votes 
4   [0%] 0 votes 
3   [0%] 0 votes 
2   [0%] 0 votes 
1   [0%] 0 votes 
0   [0%] 0 votes 
= Guests (48 votes)

Poll Status: Closed  »»   Total Votes: 96 counted  »»   Last Vote: 11/12/2005 9:16 PM 

River
Male Advanced Member
506 Posts
[Mentor]

Chippewa Falls, WI
USA

Kawasaki

Concours

Posted - 10/14/2005 :  12:32 AM
I put in 10, but I'll ride more if weather allows... and of course less if that's the way the ice & snow come down.

^o^
Go to Top of Page

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17381 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 10/14/2005 :  12:35 AM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
We may have an occasional hurricane in Texas but they never last for as long as a month.
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6954 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 10/14/2005 :  7:55 AM
It's rare that I'll go two weeks without riding, and I don't ride if it's wet out. It's nice to not have to winterize my bikes.
Go to Top of Page

locopez
22 Posts

Folsom, Ca
USA

Harley-Davidson

FLHT

Posted - 10/14/2005 :  8:53 AM
I will not ride my Harley in the Rain. For a few reasons. One, and the most important I do not feel comfortable riding in the rain, as when it is dry. Not to say I won't if I am caught in the rain. But I try to avoid riding it in the rain. And secondly it takes so long to clean it after riding in the rain.

Now I have a 250cc scooter I will ride in the rain...feel 110% comfortable no matter the weather. There is something about it. I just dress to stay dry.

So I love to ride 12 months of the year. Feel very fortunate to be able to do that.
Go to Top of Page

SteveS
Male Advanced Member
1208 Posts
[Mentor]

Toronto, Ontario
Canada

Harley-Davidson

2018 Tri-Gliide

Posted - 10/14/2005 :  9:57 PM
Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ...........

After Min November until Mid April it is very dicey to ride around Toronto. Salt, frozen leaves, crud, etc. But it shore is temptin when we get the odd sunny day in Dec or Jan.

If I had known 35 years ago that I would become a m/c rider, I doubt I would have left Ted Gamble to run my home state.

I'll be listening to you lucky ones stories this winter. They will keep me primed for the spring thaw.
Go to Top of Page

Sandy Eggo
10 Posts

San Diego, CA
USA

Honda

'02 GL 1800

Posted - 10/16/2005 :  6:46 AM
I recently moved from Seattle to San Diego, so the riding season is definitely longer here. Until I've gone through a winter, I really don't know how frequently I'll be able to ride, but I've heard that the riding season is interrupted for a few days at a time by rain, not 4-6 months like it was in Seattle.
Go to Top of Page

amhopf
Male Standard Member
216 Posts

Littleton, Colorado
USA

Honda

02 VFR800 ABS

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  1:39 PM
when it's ski season, i may only get out a few times, and that's half the year. BTW, ski season starts this saturday, so time to buy some fuel stabilizer...
Go to Top of Page

SteveS
Male Advanced Member
1208 Posts
[Mentor]

Toronto, Ontario
Canada

Harley-Davidson

2018 Tri-Gliide

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  3:37 PM
quote:
Originally posted by amhopf

when it's ski season, i may only get out a few times, and that's half the year. BTW, ski season starts this saturday, so time to buy some fuel stabilizer...

Had the EXTREME PLEASURE of riding through your fine state after my visit to Sturgis this August. Some of the best riding and most beautiful country I've ridden in (no offence to our Ca. members, I just haven't ridden there ... yet).

Passed through your town on the way down to Durango so I could ride the Narrow Gauge RR back up to Silverton. What an adventure. I can only imagine what the skiing is like.

Go to Top of Page

nomad dan
Advanced Member
1276 Posts

Denver, Colorado
USA

Kawasaki

06 Vulcan Nomad 1600

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  6:10 PM
I put fuel stabilizer in my bike the first winter, then used up that tank riding and had to do it again. After a couple of times of that I decided that I must be a 12 month rider even though it snows a lot here.
I didn't ever bother puting stabilizer in after that because there will be a day here and there that has snow on the sides of the streets, but not any on the streets and I end up going for a ride. I find that good gloves, leather pants, leather jacket, and thermals and I can go 75mph for about 45 min without getting too cold. Can go a lot longer if the speed is only 30 or 40.
Someday I'll get heated gloves and vest
Go to Top of Page

firefly
72 Posts

Santa Monica, California
USA

Yamaha

vmax

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  9:39 AM
In Southern Cali its almost year round maybe 3 weeks of rain, I ride daily , but what I noticed is that if I park the bike for a week, I feel kinda clumsy when I start riding again for about half an hr, Why is that?

Edited by - firefly on 10/18/2005 9:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

don_hud
Advanced Member
1077 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, Texas
USA

Yamaha

1997 Virago XV1100

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  10:30 AM
quote:
I feel kinda clumsy when I start riding again for about half an hr, Why is that?

I think it is a mental thing. Motorcycle riding skill is mostly mental. First you have to be in the right frame of mind and know that you are ready to ride. To be a skilled rider you have to develop good hand/eye coordination to control your motorcycle. This takes practice and you loose some of that skill when you have not done it for a while.

It takes skill, practice and confidence in you abilities to feel like you are in control when you ride. You don't want to get over confident, but just have the confidence in your abilities that you can do what you need when you need to. Just take a minute to make sure you are ready to ride and in the right frame of mind before you head out, especially when you have not ridden in a while. Remember, it's something you've done many times before and this ride will be no different.
Go to Top of Page

amhopf
Male Standard Member
216 Posts

Littleton, Colorado
USA

Honda

02 VFR800 ABS

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  2:12 PM
quote:
Had the EXTREME PLEASURE of riding through your fine state after my visit to Sturgis this August. Some of the best riding and most beautiful country I've ridden in (no offence to our Ca. members, I just haven't ridden there ... yet).

Passed through your town on the way down to Durango so I could ride the Narrow Gauge RR back up to Silverton. What an adventure. I can only imagine what the skiing is like.

I took that train ride when i was little, what a great part of the state!
What route did you take to Durango? and how long did it take?
Go to Top of Page

rstnick
22 Posts

Keswick, Ontario
Canada

Kawasaki

1978 KZ650C2

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  7:15 PM
I will only be riding 7 months this year. April to end of October. I hope to be riding longer, and will if the weather allows. It's getting cold now though, with a low of 1*C/34*F for tonight. I have a ride planed with a group this weekend, but the weather office is calling for rain both days. Water and wet leaves are not fun to ride on.
Go to Top of Page

SteveS
Male Advanced Member
1208 Posts
[Mentor]

Toronto, Ontario
Canada

Harley-Davidson

2018 Tri-Gliide

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  8:21 PM
quote:

I took that train ride when i was little, what a great part of the state!
What route did you take to Durango? and how long did it take?

I don't remember all the route but we went to Rocky Mtn. State Park, Mesa Verde, and the San Juan Parkway. I guess we took two to three days, then two nights at the KOA in Durango before heading down to Santa Fe and our furtherest point, Ft. Sumner and Billy the Kid's Grave and Museum before turning East and visiting parts of Rt. 66, starting with the Museum in Tulsa.
Go to Top of Page
Niebor
Ex-Member

Posted - 11/05/2005 :  2:48 PM
Twelve is the easy answer. Though in Colorado one must keep an eye open for that one acceptable afternoon sometimes late November to say March. All other months offer several to many riding days.
Go to Top of Page

sixsigma
Male Advanced Member
801 Posts

Toronto, Ontario
Canada

Suzuki

Marauder vz 805

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  6:02 PM
I tend to agree with Steve however there are mitigating factors in Toronto and Ontario in general that would drop my activities as a re-entry rider from those that I call "extended months" due to the backwash of road debris - salt,gravel and other goodies... when I see those days in Jan or Feb I might be tempted to bend the rules but I recall vividly what "ballbearings and gravel salt debris have in common" to a biker
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.62 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05