(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3458 positive of 3841 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Polls
 Headlight Modulator
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

kiddal
Male Advanced Member
1561 Posts
[Mentor]

SE, Indiana
USA

Kawasaki

KLR650

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  7:06 PM   DetailDetail                        Like
Poll Question:
Do you have a headlight modulator?

Results:
Yes, I think it is effective   [17%] 15 votes 
Yes, I don't think it's effective   [0%] 0 votes 
No, but I'm thinking about it   [40%] 34 votes 
No   [43%] 37 votes 
= Guests (34 votes)

Poll Status: Closed  »»   Total Votes: 86 counted  »»   Last Vote: 11/16/2005 7:57 PM 

plainsman
16 Posts

Gardner, KS
USA

Honda

Shadow Spirit 1100

Posted - 10/25/2005 :  1:03 AM
This is the greatest "be seen" helper ever invented. Since I installed this thing, at intersection situations where I had the right-of-way, I've had NUMEROUS cage drivers look at me, start to pull out, and suddenly hit their brakes and stop. That flashing light catches their eye and it won't turn loose.

Don't misunderstand me - I'm prepared to take other action, but the flashing headlight makes it unnecessary MOST of the time - not always.
Go to Top of Page

FRE
Standard Member
219 Posts

Albuquerque, NM
USA

Kawasaki

Ninja 500

Posted - 10/25/2005 :  12:22 PM
Although it's reasonable to have a poll on this, it is not a very scientific way to determine the effectiveness of headlight modulators. I hope that a more scientific way can be used to quantify exactly how effective modulators are.

I have one but, since I just started riding, I have no way to evaluate it objectively. I have not had anyone turn in front of me. That may be because of the modulator, but maybe no one would have turned in front of me without it. It seems reasonable that it is effective, but we really should have better information.
Go to Top of Page

Indiana Randy
2118 Posts
[Mentor]

Fort Wayne, Indiana
USA

Honda

2000 Magna V4 750

Posted - 10/25/2005 :  12:52 PM
FRE, welcome. Good question. I doubt there are statistics available to validate or negate any improvement in safety with use of a headlight modulator.

We'd have to know % of MC with a modulator, % of miles those bikes drive compared to all MC, % of accidents from the headlight modulator group, % of accidents with another vehicle that could be attributed to 'not being seen', and on and on.

What I know from experience is this; BEFORE the headlight modulator it was not unusual for a cage to pull out in front of me. AFTER the modulator was installed, it's RARE a cage pulls out in front of me.

Color me SOLD on Headlight Modulators.

I wonder if wandering around the modulator websites might yield some stats.
Go to Top of Page

FRE
Standard Member
219 Posts

Albuquerque, NM
USA

Kawasaki

Ninja 500

Posted - 10/25/2005 :  2:16 PM
Randy,

Yes, it would be very difficult to get accurate statistics. Meanwhile, we'll just have to go by testimonials and by what seems reasonable.

I used to shut off my modulator when waiting behind a car at a red light, but I too often forgot to turn it back on. Therefore, I have started just leaving it on.
Go to Top of Page

kiddal
Male Advanced Member
1561 Posts
[Mentor]

SE, Indiana
USA

Kawasaki

KLR650

Posted - 10/25/2005 :  2:25 PM
quote:
Originally posted by FRE

...it is not a very scientific way to determine the effectiveness of headlight modulators.

No poll on this site is advertised to be either scientific or representative. Take them for what they're worth.

This site does not represent the "average" motorcyclist very well. 17% of the respondents here have a modulator. I'd estimate that's at least a 17 times higher rate than I've observed. There are many other similar examples in other polls.

Edited by - kiddal on 10/25/2005 2:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

SteveS
Male Advanced Member
1208 Posts
[Mentor]

Toronto, Ontario
Canada

Harley-Davidson

2018 Tri-Gliide

Posted - 10/25/2005 :  2:38 PM
I have never seen a modulator on a motorcycle in my travels thus far. BUT I did see the first one on a car yesterday. It was on a Taxi. I had a mixed reaction to it. On the one hand I got to see how THEY DO DRAW ATTENTION, but on the other I generally think Taxis here in this city draw too much attention anyway due to their wreckless habits.

Go to Top of Page

timbo
Advanced Member
594 Posts

Uxbridge
United Kingdom

BMW

R1100S

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  10:49 AM
One big problem I see with Modulators (They are 100% illegal over here) would be that if everyone had them, driving would be a nightmare. Think about it

Tim
Go to Top of Page

kiddal
Male Advanced Member
1561 Posts
[Mentor]

SE, Indiana
USA

Kawasaki

KLR650

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  11:14 AM
quote:
Originally posted by timbo

One big problem I see with Modulators (They are 100% illegal over here) would be that if everyone had them, driving would be a nightmare.

Not to worry. I've seen less than a dozen or so in 16 months. There is no mad rush for modulators. Hopefully, that makes me stand out from the crowd a little.

Is there anything that is 50% illegal?
Go to Top of Page

timbo
Advanced Member
594 Posts

Uxbridge
United Kingdom

BMW

R1100S

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  11:25 AM
quote:
Originally posted by kiddal

quote:
Originally posted by timbo

One big problem I see with Modulators (They are 100% illegal over here) would be that if everyone had them, driving would be a nightmare.

Not to worry. I've seen less than a dozen or so in 16 months. There is no mad rush for modulators. Hopefully, that makes me stand out from the crowd a little.

Is there anything that is 50% illegal?

Ha!

I am desperately trying to think of a witty answer & failing. I know as soon as I click "post new reply" I will think of it. Rats!

Tim

(The phrase in French is "L'esprit d'escalier" which is the moment on the stairs when leaving, and you think of the witty response you should have made)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05