(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3458 positive of 3841 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Polls
 How many drops?
Next Page
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

kiddal
Male Advanced Member
1561 Posts
[Mentor]

SE, Indiana
USA

Kawasaki

KLR650

Posted - 11/04/2005 :  5:29 PM   DetailDetail                        Like
Poll Question:
How many times have you dropped your bike(s)?

(For any reason, wreck, drop at stop light, etc.)

Results:
0   [17%] 21 votes 
1   [31%] 38 votes 
2   [22%] 27 votes 
3   [11%] 13 votes 
4   [10%] 12 votes 
5   [2%] 2 votes 
more than 5   [7%] 9 votes 
= Guests (62 votes)

Poll Status: Closed  »»   Total Votes: 122 counted  »»   Last Vote: 12/04/2005 8:54 AM 

Bean
Male Senior Member
260 Posts

Pinellas, FL
USA

Kawasaki

94' Vulcan 750

Posted - 11/04/2005 :  6:06 PM
I honestly forget. It's either 3 or 4... maybe 5 if you count someone else causing it's fall. Each fall has been parkinglot type stuff. That's why my first bike I bought used ;)

Edited by - Bean on 11/04/2005 6:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6954 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 11/04/2005 :  6:10 PM
If you're talking about all 19 motorcycles that I've owned so far, I've dropped them dozens of times. Mostly the dual sports and pure dirt bikes while riding off road. You're not challenging yourself if you don't drop a dirt bike once in a while.

If we're just talking about what I own now, the answer would be zero.
Go to Top of Page
Niebor
Ex-Member

Posted - 11/05/2005 :  7:15 AM
quote:
Originally posted by kiddal

Occurs to me I answered the poll incorectly. Now three times come to mind. Most notable, ironic, and the only one on the street: A lady "on her way to a funeral". Two abreast, gabbing, i'm in the left track, 2-lane. My partners' eyes grow wide, I look back just in time to see the passing cars' fender headed for my front wheel. She passed on double-yellow, returned early. Too late, before I can make a move to correct, she had already contacted my front wheel. The inevitable result: Classic slow-speed high side, two 360's with the peg as the pivot. Her first comment: I have to go, i'm late for a funeral. My parter was on it! : Lady, you leave now and it will be YOUR funeral. Anyhow, proper accident report was completed without incident, and the lady went on to her funeral. Bike was ridable, her insurance rep was fair in settlement. Other two were on dirt bikes, unexpected tree across the trail and a tad bit more air than expected, awkward landing angle. Street incident was 1978, latest was 88' mabe 89. Happy to report a clean slate since.

Lee
Go to Top of Page

nomad dan
Advanced Member
1276 Posts

Denver, Colorado
USA

Kawasaki

06 Vulcan Nomad 1600

Posted - 11/05/2005 :  10:48 AM
My last one was a couple of weeks ago. Pulled into the driveway, stopped, deciding whether to put it into the garage or not, decided I was going out again soon so I'd leave it out. stepped off without putting the kickstand down.

If you have automatic responses like pulling in the driveway and putting the kickstand down and then get off; if anything disturbs the sequence you might be in trouble. For me stopping to think of whether to thumb the garage door opener and go in, or stay out and park disturbed the automatic proccess and when I stepped off my brain didn't warn me that we had ufinnished work.
Go to Top of Page

madjack
Male Junior Member
98 Posts

Lakefield, Minnesota
USA

Honda

2000 Valk, 85 V65

Posted - 11/05/2005 :  5:27 PM
There's 3 kinds of riders, those that HAVE dropped their bike, those that WILL drop their bike and those that LIE about it!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

rryman
24 Posts

Harrisonburg, Virginia
USA

Honda

GL1500

Posted - 11/05/2005 :  10:23 PM
Well, I only claimed one drop, but then I haven't been biking that long either. Fortunately, it happened in my garage. Only had the bike a couple days, was sitting on it, side stand up, engine off, getting the "feel" of it, when something on the dash distracted me (radio knobs or something), and by the time I realized it was going right, it was too late. I exited to the other side and let it go. sure enough, a Goldwing won't go over that far. Then I got to practice the "How to get your bike back up by yourself." I also imagined how embarassing it's going to be when I do it in front of people!!
Randy
Go to Top of Page

Lithorien
Male Junior Member
68 Posts

Bremerton, Washington
USA

Honda

Rebel 250 (CMX)

Posted - 11/05/2005 :  10:58 PM
In the low speed practice I do, when I started doing it, I constantly dropped the bike.

Tight right-hand turn: Once when I had *just* started by accidentally twisting the throttle, forgetting I had a clutch, and having my front wheel meet the curb at about a 45-degree angle. Once by misjudging my weight and leaning on the bike a *little* too far to the right.

Powerstop: Three times, all doing the same thing. Locked up my front tire by squeezing the brake as hard as I could, and all three times the bike's front tire went left until the handlebars couldn't turn anymore and I went down. I suspect that, because just locking up the front tire shouldn't dump me, that I did something else stupid (such as possibly locking up the rear wheel) to go down.

Swerving: Once. Threw my weight (and the bike) harshly to the right, met the curb, went down.

I will say those were all within two weeks of me starting to ride.
Go to Top of Page

kiddal
Male Advanced Member
1561 Posts
[Mentor]

SE, Indiana
USA

Kawasaki

KLR650

Posted - 11/06/2005 :  2:53 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Lithorien

I suspect that, because just locking up the front tire shouldn't dump me...

Locking up the front is a sure way to go down if you don't unlock it immediately.
Go to Top of Page

timbo
Advanced Member
594 Posts

Uxbridge
United Kingdom

BMW

R1100S

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  11:54 AM
I've been riding for nearly 30 years. I haven't dropped a bike while riding for more than 20, but I do drop my bike from time to time while manouvering (on the drive, parking etc.). Once a big bike starts to go, it goes.

Tim
Go to Top of Page

Oldcoot
Starting Member
4 Posts

Florence, OR
USA

Kawasaki

Z1000

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  9:42 PM
quote:
Originally posted by kiddal

In 44 years I find that there are all kinds of reasons for "dropping" a bike. Almost all involve stupidity (at least in my case.
Go to Top of Page

marsam
Male Advanced Member
510 Posts
[Mentor]

Birkirkara
Malta

Yamaha

Dragstar & Vmax

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  7:30 AM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
I dropped the bike once so far and it was embarassing as it happened on my very first group ride.
Go to Top of Page

Picnic
37 Posts

Tucson, Arizona
USA

Kawasaki

Vulcan 500 LTD

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  9:59 PM
Once, counting only street bikes... dirt bikes dont count!!! :P
Go to Top of Page

xcell315
Starting Member
1 Posts

Monett, MO
USA

Yamaha

Warrior

Posted - 11/30/2005 :  8:18 AM
Not yet on the street.....many times in the dirt but I assume we are not talking about the dirt here.
Go to Top of Page

jacine
18 Posts

Phoenix, AZ
USA

Yamaha

Vstar 650 Classic

Posted - 12/02/2005 :  9:56 PM
Dropped it once in the driveway, pulled in expecting to park in the garage, but car was there. Stopped and started coasting backwards. Had no choice but to drop or learn how to drive backing up.
Go to Top of Page

Lithorien
Male Junior Member
68 Posts

Bremerton, Washington
USA

Honda

Rebel 250 (CMX)

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  8:26 PM
quote:
Originally posted by jacine

Dropped it once in the driveway, pulled in expecting to park in the garage, but car was there. Stopped and started coasting backwards. Had no choice but to drop or learn how to drive backing up.

Uhm.. what about putting on your brakes and standing there for a bit until you could walk it back far enough to find a better parking spot?
Go to Top of Page

FRE
Standard Member
219 Posts

Albuquerque, NM
USA

Kawasaki

Ninja 500

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  1:01 AM
I dropped my bike twice in the first two weeks I had it. I haven't dropped it since, but I've had it only 3 months.

Probably if I drop it again, it will be in a low speed maneuver, such as in a parking lot or while stopping at a red light.
Go to Top of Page

DRPanther
Male Junior Member
26 Posts

Appleton, Wisconsin
USA

Harley-Davidson

2001 XL883C

Posted - 03/05/2006 :  3:12 PM
I haven't dropped my Sportster yet, but my '82 Yamaha XJ650J, I've laid down twice. Once at a stop light, and once in the driveway. I was trying to put it up on the center stand...

-Dan
Go to Top of Page

FRE
Standard Member
219 Posts

Albuquerque, NM
USA

Kawasaki

Ninja 500

Posted - 03/19/2006 :  5:27 PM
quote:
I haven't dropped a bike while riding for more than 20, but I do drop my bike from time to time while manouvering (on the drive, parking etc.). Once a big bike starts to go, it goes.

That's exactly why I gave up on the BMW 1150RT that I bought. Fortunately, the BMW dealer permitted me to reverse the transaction and get my Ninja 500 back, AFTER I paid almost $1500 for the damage caused to the BMW by dropping it 3 times in the 5 days I had it. It was a wonderful bike except at low speeds or when standing still or backing up, when it was too heavy, too tippy, and too high for me to deal with. According to the BMW dealer, a rider with more experience would feel comfortable with it even if he could put only one toe down. As near as I can tell, many would disagree.

Not only was the BMW too hard to keep up, but it wasn't always possible to pick it up when dropped. The time I dropped it on its left side, I was able to pick it up by using the recommended technique. The handle on the left side, which was probably intended to facilitate putting the bike on the center stand, helped in picking it up. However, there was no place to grab onto on the right side, except for the handle bars, and two hands are required to pick it up. Also, when dropped, it would go way down, unlike a Gold Wing, and was too low to back up against the seat.

I still want to get a bike suitable for touring, but one that is light and handles like a sports bike. Someone suggested the Honda VFR800 / Interceptor, which I may consider. It has good hard saddle bags as an option. When I sat on one, walked it forward and backward and tipped it from side to side, it didn't seem too hard to handle. It was a little bit too high; I couldn't get both feet quite flat on the ground. However, if even one inch can be removed from the seat foam, it should be OK. It has over 100 HP, which is more than I need, but that shouldn't be a problem. I just might buy one.
Go to Top of Page

oleg232000
Male New Member
16 Posts

brooklyn new york, ny
USA

Suzuki

gsxr 600

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  10:34 AM
Once so far. I was trying to pull a u turn from the road onto the sidewalk where i decided to park the bike. The road pavement was fine, but when i hit the sidewalk and didnt realize i was on an inclined driveway, so i messed up. I let go of throttle way too much, so know i am still turning, on an incline, with no throttle = dropped bike. So the bike came to a stop on like a 20 degree slant, which caused it to basically fall to its side. I didnt put my right foot down fast enough, so now i am trying to lift the bike back up with my left side (arm leg). WHich worked for a second until the bike just slowly came to the ground on top of my right leg. I could have moved it, but i said NAAHhh, dont want to scratch the plastic. Boy was i stupid. My knee was killing me for like a week. But i did save the plastic.
Go to Top of Page

alignm2
Male Junior Member
97 Posts
[Mentor]

potomac, md
USA

Yamaha

v-star

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  8:45 PM
I think I have the classic dropped bike story. I was finishing the last part of my MSF course and while waiting for my turn to do the exercise du jour (I cannot remember which one it was, but I digress) my attention wavered and I just let go of my bike. The instructor was adamant during the lecture part of the course that we should lift the bike with our legs and that our bikes would be heavier than we would imagine. I bent my legs, grabbed the bike by the handle bars, made sure that the front brake was fully engaged and gave a mighty heave. The 250 Hondas that we used were VERY light and the bike went up VERY quickly and I proceeded to flip it onto the other side. Two drops at once! They made me fill out two accident reports. I guess if you have to drop a bike, it's always better to drop one of these than one of yours.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.66 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05