(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3458 positive of 3841 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Polls
 Tire Brands
Next Page
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Gs82Seca650
Male Advanced Member
1990 Posts
[Mentor]

Southern, PA
USA

Yamaha

1982 XJ 650 R Seca

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  6:51 AM   DetailDetail                        Like
Poll Question:
What brand of tire do you prefer?
(OPTIONAL: after voting, post why you feel this way)

Results:
Bridgestone/Firestone   [12%] 11 votes 
Dunlop   [42%] 39 votes 
Cheng-Shin   [3%] 3 votes 
Michelin   [9%] 8 votes 
Avon   [8%] 7 votes 
Continental   [0%] 0 votes 
Pirelli   [2%] 2 votes 
Maxxis   [0%] 0 votes 
Kenda   [0%] 0 votes 
Metzeler   [22%] 20 votes 
IRC   [1%] 1 votes 
Other   [1%] 1 votes 
= Guests (47 votes)

Poll Status: Closed  »»   Total Votes: 92 counted  »»   Last Vote: 12/08/2005 3:48 PM 

Thom Thumb
Advanced Member
1595 Posts
[Mentor]

Jordan, MN
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster XL883

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  9:08 AM
I prefer inflated tires, with good tread on them.

I'm not a sophisticated rider, and I don't push the envelope. For me, tires are like pork chops - I never met one I didn't like.

TT
Go to Top of Page

Gs82Seca650
Male Advanced Member
1990 Posts
[Mentor]

Southern, PA
USA

Yamaha

1982 XJ 650 R Seca

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  9:12 AM
Hi Tom,

I am with you on that one. When I bought my scoot earlier this year, I think the dealership installed cheng-shin's on it (they are an off brand) I don't have any problem with them personally but I, like you, do not push the envelope enough to notice a difference. The Cheng-Shin's did seem to have good wet weather traction, in the one storm I got caught in this year.
Go to Top of Page

johnm
39 Posts

tacoma, wa
USA

Kawasaki

VN750

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  9:18 AM
Though I tend to agree with you, Thom. I can't say I agree 100%.

From personal experience, performance oriented tires impart a different feel and (for me) a certain added amount of confidence.

I have Bridgestone S11 Spitfires on my Vulcan; a multi-compound sport touring tire. Compared to the off-brand touring tires that were on the bike, they are a vast improvement. Where the offbrand tires BAD or unsafe? By no means, but the Spitfires were a distinct improvement in turn-in, cornering stability, and wet traction.

I have similar experiences with automotive tires.

Edited by - johnm on 11/09/2005 9:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

don_hud
Advanced Member
1077 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, Texas
USA

Yamaha

1997 Virago XV1100

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  9:44 AM
When I bought my bike back in April, the tires on it were dry rotted. So I started looking for the original tires and they are made any more. So I started looking at all brands that would fit the wheels trying to find the best deal on a good quality tire. I was impressed with the Dunlop D404, so I order a set. Mounted them, balanced them and put them on the bike. They have been fine tires and after about 3000 miles, no problems at all.

I have heard a lot about the Metzlers, but they were a lot more expensive and I doubted if the price difference was equal to the value difference, so I went with the Dunlops.

Go to Top of Page

SteveS
Male Advanced Member
1208 Posts
[Mentor]

Toronto, Ontario
Canada

Harley-Davidson

2018 Tri-Gliide

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  10:21 AM
When I replaced my original tires at 27,000km I had the same Dunlops installed (Americade last year). Now that I will need replacements when my real riding season starts in the spring, I will likely do the same with one exception. There is a wider tire (1/4") for the rear that requires no change in fitment, so I'll give that a try.

A couple of my buds ride on Metzlers and report at least 50% longer ware but, I'll stick with dunlop at least one more round.
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6954 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  10:49 AM
The Bridgestone BT-020 tires have worked well for me on two different bikes. I like them because they have good traction (they stick well), don't need to be warmed up first, and get longer mileage than other sport touring tires that I've tried (Dunlop, Michelin). I'll be trying Avon AV45/46 tires next time, on the recommendation of other sport touring riders that I respect. Supposedly they're better in every way except possibly cold behavior.

It's hard to have experience with a lot of different tire brands unless you put lots and lots of miles on your bike.
Go to Top of Page

Mikey
Male Senior Member
287 Posts

Benton, Kentucky
USA

Harley-Davidson

FLHTCI/XL/FXDL

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  11:54 AM
I voted for Dunlop because that is what came on the Harleys. I am up for a new rear tire on the Electraglide; I would consider an Avon or a Metzler if they can match the front tire white wall style. I know that sounds like a lame reason but I don't need to change the front tire as it has lots of tread depth.
Go to Top of Page

John Henry
Male Advanced Member
535 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Harley-Davidson

2005 FLHRCI

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  5:12 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mikey

I voted for Dunlop because that is what came on the Harleys. I am up for a new rear tire on the Electraglide; I would consider an Avon or a Metzler if they can match the front tire white wall style. I know that sounds like a lame reason but I don't need to change the front tire as it has lots of tread depth.

I run Metzelers and like them, and they should have a WW to match your Dunlop. I have the wide whitewalls on my Road King Classic.

If I were you, though, I might just put another Dunlop on the back until both front and back need changing, or get rid of the front. That way, you have the same brand on both front and back.
Go to Top of Page

SteveS
Male Advanced Member
1208 Posts
[Mentor]

Toronto, Ontario
Canada

Harley-Davidson

2018 Tri-Gliide

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  8:18 PM
quote:
Originally posted by John Henry

I run Metzelers and like them, and they should have a WW to match your Dunlop. I have the wide whitewalls on my Road King Classic.

If I were you, though, I might just put another Dunlop on the back until both front and back need changing, or get rid of the front. That way, you have the same brand on both front and back.

John, I agree about having a matched set. Will you say why you like the Metzelers?

And I am wondering if it is common for a front tire to outlast a rear? If so why?

Go to Top of Page

Indiana Randy
2118 Posts
[Mentor]

Fort Wayne, Indiana
USA

Honda

2000 Magna V4 750

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  8:02 AM
Steve, I also prefer and run Metzlers. (ME 880) I've found them to handle better than other brands and they tend to last longer... and very good on wet roads.

Yes, it's common for the rear to wear out sooner than the front.

Go to Top of Page

kiddal
Male Advanced Member
1561 Posts
[Mentor]

SE, Indiana
USA

Kawasaki

KLR650

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  12:32 PM
quote:
Originally posted by fxstSteve

And I am wondering if it is common for a front tire to outlast a rear? If so why?

The rear works a lot harder. All the acceleration is through the rear tire while the front is just "pushed" along. If you feel the tires after riding, the rear is usually hotter.

The fronts last about twice as long for me. I think that's pretty common.

The rear's will wear out in the middle and the front's will generally wear out slightly left of center. (Right of center for countries who drive on the "wrong" side)
Go to Top of Page

TedGamble
Standard Member
214 Posts

Murfreesboro, TN
USA

Honda

GL1800A

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  1:03 PM
Tires vary so much across intended bike models and manufacturers that I don't see how any responses to this poll could be useful. Perhaps you did not realize that tires DO differ depending on their application.

Consider this for example. The Metzler ME880 is probably the best tire that you can put on a Yamaha Royal Star Venture. Bridgestones, on the other hand, ride "like a truck" on the Venture. BUT, if you are talking about a Goldwing, Bridgestones are the hands-down tire of choice and Metzlers cause more head shake than any other brand (on the Goldwing). This is not just my opinion, this is from comparing my experiences with hundreds of owners of the the two above-mentioned bikes and tires.

For the results of this poll to have any reasonable value, you'd have to be more specific in your questions such as "Which brand of tire do you prefer on an R1" or "Which brand of tire do you prefer on a Gold Wing".

Go to Top of Page

Gs82Seca650
Male Advanced Member
1990 Posts
[Mentor]

Southern, PA
USA

Yamaha

1982 XJ 650 R Seca

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  1:18 PM
quote:
Originally posted by TedGamble

Tires vary so much across intended bike models and manufacturers that I don't see how any responses to this poll could be useful. Perhaps you did not realize that tires DO differ depending on their application.

Sorry you feel that way Ted, but I respectfully disagree. There are many different makes/models of bikes represented on this board. Some members may have similar bikes and the information may be useful to them.

Of course I realize that tires wear differently depending on the application. My question was not wear/performance related. I was looking for those with good experiences with a perticular brand and if so why. I have owned and ridden many different makes/models of scoots, so getting a wide variety of responses IS helpful to me. Who knows what make/model scoot I may own next? Getting heads-up on a good tire for that bike is useful information.

That's my opinion and why I started this poll.
Go to Top of Page

TedGamble
Standard Member
214 Posts

Murfreesboro, TN
USA

Honda

GL1800A

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  9:29 PM
Gs82Seca650,

I do agree with you that some tires are generally better than others, but it still comes down to which specific tire on which type of bike is where "the rubber meets the road" so to speak.

Dunlop, Metzler, Avon, and others all have great tires in some applications, but none of them are the best across the board for all applications. I just feel that it's too complicated to make a blanket statement across the board as to which tire is best.

And, by the way, I do appreciate you removing the negative karma - Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

wood02
Starting Member
2 Posts

USA

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  5:11 AM
Great mileage from the Dunlop...about 15,000 miles on the rear TWICE! I am going to be changing the front and the rear this winter. I religously check tire pressure.
Go to Top of Page

Victory
Advanced Member
633 Posts
[Mentor]

Pawcatuck, CT
USA

Victory

10th Anny Vision

Peer Review: -1

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  6:18 AM
I voted for Avon. I LOVE my Avons. I had good luck with the Dunlops that came with my Victorys but the Avons feel like my bike is wearing sneakers. I get a better feel from the Avons in rain and twisties. They feel more confident. Of course I have them at max pressure, 50 lbs., cause that's where I like them for the way I ride.

If you are thinking of checking out other tires try to find someone that has a bike like yours and the tires you are thinking of and ask them to swap out bikes for a ride. I have a lot of friends that will do that. The agreement is you pay for any damage. This will give you an idea of how the tires feel. Remember that will not be the only thing you feel. Different seat, newer/older fork fluid, different air pressure, different adjustment on the shock(s) and several other things.
Go to Top of Page

Duane
Male Advanced Member
863 Posts
[Mentor]

Buffalo, New York
USA

Suzuki

Boulevard C90T

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  9:52 AM
I don't really care what brand they are. If it is recommended in my owners manual I'll buy 'em.

Duane
Go to Top of Page

travismhood
64 Posts

american canyon, ca
USA

Yamaha

xs750 sf

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  5:03 PM
I've got two bikes with "Continentals" from the mid 1970s on them and they're still road worthy. don't know if they make them like they used to. I think that (understandably) people go for traction over durability. But how many are really hanging off @ 160MPH through hairpins? I believe that Continentals are French. Boycot if desired.
Go to Top of Page

kiddal
Male Advanced Member
1561 Posts
[Mentor]

SE, Indiana
USA

Kawasaki

KLR650

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  9:15 PM
quote:
Originally posted by travismhood

I've got two bikes with "Continentals" from the mid 1970s on them and they're still road worthy.

You have 30 year old tires on your bike?
Go to Top of Page

travismhood
64 Posts

american canyon, ca
USA

Yamaha

xs750 sf

Posted - 11/13/2005 :  12:55 AM
Well, Yes. four tires all together. But there on spare motorcycles. I finally replaced the rear on the most ridden bike. It looked like it could keep going but I felt there may be some evil curse on it. It should be dead? I put TONS of miles on that sucker. I've got the Purdy virago now and won't be treating it so neglectfully. Says somthing for Contenintal though. They may be my next purchase if I can get them off the rack. I'm a lazy shopper.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.68 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05