(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3459 positive of 3842 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Polls
 Training
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

kiddal
Male Advanced Member
1561 Posts
[Mentor]

SE, Indiana
USA

Kawasaki

KLR650

Posted - 11/15/2005 :  9:43 PM   No DetailNo Detail                        Like
Poll Question:  (Only members can see/vote)
What types of training have you done?

Results:
MSF Basic Course   [70%] 74 votes 
MSF Experienced Course   [26%] 28 votes 
Parking Lot Practice   [83%] 88 votes 
Read Motorcycle Book(s)   [71%] 75 votes 
Watched Motorcycle Video(s)   [45%] 48 votes 
Track Day(s)   [8%] 8 votes 
Racing School   [3%] 3 votes 
Lessons from a friend   [29%] 31 votes 
Other riding course   [15%] 16 votes 

Poll Status: Closed  »»   Total Ballots: 106 »»   Last Vote: 12/14/2005 6:43 AM 

Bean
Male Senior Member
260 Posts

Pinellas, FL
USA

Kawasaki

94' Vulcan 750

Posted - 11/15/2005 :  10:11 PM
I assume sites such as this one are considered a "book".
Go to Top of Page

jollyroger
Advanced Member
2157 Posts
[Mentor]

St. Charles, MO
USA

Harley-Davidson

Springer Classic

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  7:15 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Bean

If it is, I'd hate to see your local library...
Go to Top of Page

kiddal
Male Advanced Member
1561 Posts
[Mentor]

SE, Indiana
USA

Kawasaki

KLR650

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  7:30 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Bean

No. A book is a book. "Sites like this one" are assumed of all voters.
Go to Top of Page

gary
Standard Member
143 Posts

Kingston, New York
USA

Honda

1100 Shadow '99

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  2:40 PM
I have taken lots of courses over the years and have read many books on motorcycles plus watched a few videos and one I like well is : Ride like a proIII by Jerry "Motorman" Palladino. A friend of mine that has only been riding a 250cc two months watched it and after three hrs in parking lot was doing so well that I let him try the procedures on my 1100cc and I was amased how well he handled it. I tell you it is well worth the $35 no matter how long you have ridden or how good you think you are.
P.S. I don't make any money from this, wish I did.
Go to Top of Page

rryman
24 Posts

Harrisonburg, Virginia
USA

Honda

GL1500

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  10:40 PM
I haven't yet "read" any books on motorcycling, but I read every one of the "tips and techniques" on this site, and it has done me a world of good. Along with adivce from my friends who have much more experience than me, I've managed to get by. MSF courses where were full when I applied, but plan on getting in in the spring. Right now, we're being very careful. Got in about 100 miles Sunday, mostly on the Skyline Drive. Good
experience-35mph, and lots of turns to practice on.
Randy
Go to Top of Page
Niebor
Ex-Member

Posted - 11/18/2005 :  1:11 PM
Many lessons over the years. Including those which include road-rash. Needless to say, one takes stock in what happened, and what is necessary to avoid repeat performance. Have to say this site provides many more specifics than I have collectively gained over the years. Great site, I have really enjoyed it!

Lee
Go to Top of Page

tmonroe
Male Advanced Member
752 Posts
[Mentor]

Seattle, WA
USA

Kawasaki

ZX-10R

Posted - 11/23/2005 :  4:08 PM
Took the MRC (old MSF basic rider course)

Read cover to cover Proficient Motorcycling, Proficient Motorcycling 2, and Street Strategies (I even had David Hough sign my copy of Street Strategies)

Took the ERC on my first bike ('02 SV650)

Took the ERC on my second bike ('00 CBR929)

Somewhere in there bought "Twist of the Wrist 2". (Proof positive that professional motorcycle racers probably shouldn't try being authors.)

Bought the Jerry Paladino video (eh, its okay - but he needs to get over himself - for the record, the MSF official cirriculum teaches everything he does except dragging the rear brake in low speed turns - and I do like the "cross" setup he uses, even if he borrowed it from police motorcycle training.)

Rider coach training (training you take to become a motorcycle instructor)

Took the BRC on my GL1800 (part of rider coach training)

Endless hours in parking lots practicing low speed turns... on my CBR, my ST1100 and my GL1800. For the record, the CBR is no where near as manueverable as either other bike. The ST is so manueverable, its like sitting on a barstool. I guess riding a figure 8 box in less than 2 parking spaces is impressive on a Goldwing, but at this point, its pretty routine... (I'm thinking about maybe putting low speed manuevers to music and filming a music video )

Not that its impressive or anything, but just about every MSF class I've taught (around 50 now), I've spent the first 20 minutes or so both days practicing low speed manuevers, weaving, and stopping on student bikes (just making sure the bikes are ready for students). There are like 6 or 7 different small bikes models that I'm pretty handy with.

Took 2-fast's track school.

Couple of track days.

And of course, hours going over the material on this and other motorcycle websites.

I think I'm doing well for only having ridden for 3 years - and I'm still hungry for more, so if anybody has any suggestions for something that might improve my skills, I'm open. A few years ago, I read about some guy teaching the same course that motorcycle officers take, and they provided KZ1000's. If anybody has any details, I would be interested.

Edited by - tmonroe on 11/24/2005 5:17 AM
Go to Top of Page
Niebor
Ex-Member

Posted - 11/24/2005 :  11:39 AM
Wow Tom! Thats quite a list. I know i'll catch some flack for this one. I have been riding since about 1968. At 10 years old, the Honda trail 90s' exhaust would routinely burn the ever lovin out of my right calf when I would stand it. We knew nothing of helmits or leather. But somehow, I survived. Over the years, and various encounters with things that did, and did'nt work, one learns lessons. Some more painfull than others. In my mind, the objective of a site like this is to share experience, that reduces the number of painfull, or worse experience. As I approach 50 years, I have perhaps finally reasoned that substituting a reading experience for a lesson in hard knocks can be a good thing.

I guess my point would be that I find myself feeling rather belittled for not having completed the training some consider mandatory for one to properly operate a motorcycle. For what its worth, I feel the same about religion. My job is to respect an individuals' preference, not judge, and lead my life in a manor i'm comfortable with. I am quite comfortable with my experience in both.
Go to Top of Page

kiddal
Male Advanced Member
1561 Posts
[Mentor]

SE, Indiana
USA

Kawasaki

KLR650

Posted - 11/24/2005 :  4:26 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Niebor

...I find myself feeling rather belittled for not having completed the training some consider mandatory for one to properly operate a motorcycle.

Why? By whom?

I'm completely self-taught and I don't feel that way.
Go to Top of Page
Niebor
Ex-Member

Posted - 11/24/2005 :  5:49 PM
Oh, I guess a recent poll led me to that conclusion. Perhaps in error. I do concede the structured environment classes present is an excellent opportunity to test the absolute limits. An ice driving class in Steamboat Springs CO was quite entertaining. Pushing Saab 900t's beyond the limit. I did not mean to sound like i'm opposed to training. I really hope to get my youngest son, and wife, through Harley's Riders Edge program next spring.
Go to Top of Page

marsam
Male Advanced Member
510 Posts
[Mentor]

Birkirkara
Malta

Yamaha

Dragstar & Vmax

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  7:12 AM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Over here there is no provision of professional rider training/education. What I know is the result of what I read from this forum as well as the good number of books out there that have been mentioned above. I strive to practice the tips and techniques I read so I guess that can say that I am also self taught as there is no one available to tell me what I'm doing right and what I'm doing wrong.
Go to Top of Page

uncledrunkie
Standard Member
130 Posts

Southern Illinois University Carbondale, Illinois
USA

Kawasaki

Vulcan 500ltd

Posted - 12/11/2005 :  7:25 PM
I am the type of person who can read a how too book all day and have no clue. I like to actually have someone show me how to do then read about it. I then practice practice practice.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.6 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05