(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3458 positive of 3841 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Polls
 bike for keeps
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

rolog
Standard Member
107 Posts

city of smiles
Philippines

Ducati

2004monster620

Posted - 01/06/2006 :  8:13 PM   DetailDetail                        Like
Poll Question:
if you were to pick just one bike to ride for the rest of your life what would it be?

Results:
an american v-twin   [39%] 76 votes 
a german bke   [9%] 17 votes 
an italian v-twin   [5%] 9 votes 
a japanese inline four   [16%] 32 votes 
a japanese twin   [20%] 39 votes 
a single cylinder   [1%] 2 votes 
some other bike..   [11%] 22 votes 
= Guests (147 votes)

Poll Status: Closed  »»   Total Votes: 197 counted  »»   Last Vote: 01/13/2006 9:00 PM 

Edited by - rolog on 01/06/2006 8:29 PM

kiddal
Male Advanced Member
1561 Posts
[Mentor]

SE, Indiana
USA

Kawasaki

KLR650

Posted - 01/06/2006 :  10:27 PM
I would choose based on type of bike, not type of engine.
Go to Top of Page

Thom Thumb
Advanced Member
1595 Posts
[Mentor]

Jordan, MN
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster XL883

Posted - 01/06/2006 :  11:01 PM
If I had to choose one bike to last indefinitely, I'd pop for a Honda Gold Wing. They are opposed 4 or 6 cylinder bikes, which I didn't see among the choices.

Wings have a well-documented reputation for durability. I suppose I'd get bored after a while, but that's a question for another survey.

TT
Go to Top of Page
Niebor
Ex-Member

Posted - 01/07/2006 :  7:48 AM
Exactly the reason I went for "other" Thom. Wing or Valkerie appear on the horizon. Depends on which way she wants it to go
Go to Top of Page

madjack
Male Junior Member
98 Posts

Lakefield, Minnesota
USA

Honda

2000 Valk, 85 V65

Posted - 01/07/2006 :  8:24 AM
I love my Valk, I don't know of any other bike I'd rather have at this moment.
Go to Top of Page

norton
Standard Member
105 Posts

Durango, Colorado
USA

Norton

75 Mk 3 Interstate

Posted - 01/07/2006 :  10:11 AM
I really like my Wing, it is a very smartly engineered motorcycle. I have put over 200,000 miles on the Gold Wings that I have owned over the years and they have never let me down. (Thats saying something about their quality)!

This summer I was able to put 1100 miles on a BMW CL 1200. It felt very precise (like a swiss watch),solid, and smooth! It has made its way to the top of my wish list. For that reason, I voted German.

Everyone needs a spare bike right? I want both.

Edited by - norton on 01/07/2006 10:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

timbo
Advanced Member
594 Posts

Uxbridge
United Kingdom

BMW

R1100S

Posted - 01/07/2006 :  4:41 PM
for those of us not in the USA, it does appear to be a horribly biased poll. Knowing that most of the memeber are American, putting "an American V Twin" as the first option does seem a bit fishy!

The view from over the pond

Tim
Go to Top of Page

tprgriffin
Starting Member
6 Posts

Belchertown, Ma.
USA

Harley-Davidson

2004 Fatboy

Posted - 01/08/2006 :  4:45 PM
To me it's all about the personal preference and having been riding for the past 40 years I have my own preference. I started with a Honda CB160 when I was 16 and have moved through various Hondas,Yamahas,Ossas,and Kawasakis. However I am now on my Third Harley and probably will never change. To me motorcycles are like art and whatever looks good to the owner is the right one.
Go to Top of Page

don_hud
Advanced Member
1077 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, Texas
USA

Yamaha

1997 Virago XV1100

Posted - 01/08/2006 :  7:36 PM
quote:
for those of us not in the USA, it does appear to be a horribly biased poll. Knowing that most of the memeber are American, putting "an American V Twin" as the first option does seem a bit fishy!

The view from over the pond

Tim

I'm not sure what or why you seem to think that the survey is fishy. If you want to comment about your favorite bike, no one is stopping you. And since the creator of the poll is located in the Phillipines, I can see no reason why he would be showing bias toward American made motorcycles. Listing American V-twin as the first option comes no where near making the poll horribly biased.

Just my view from this side of the pond.
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6954 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 01/09/2006 :  8:16 AM
I'm curious how many people chose a different bike than what they're riding now. I would bet it isn't very many.
Go to Top of Page

amhopf
Male Standard Member
216 Posts

Littleton, Colorado
USA

Honda

02 VFR800 ABS

Posted - 01/09/2006 :  9:35 AM
The Interceptor I want is a Honda with a V-4 engine.
Go to Top of Page

SteveS
Male Advanced Member
1208 Posts
[Mentor]

Toronto, Ontario
Canada

Harley-Davidson

2018 Tri-Gliide

Posted - 01/09/2006 :  10:22 AM
My next bike, when I have saved the sheckles ....... I'll trade up to an Ultra. Seems I do more touring each summer and it would be nice to have the extra storage room, locking facility, shorter wheel base and ease of handling, to name but a few of the goodies.
Go to Top of Page
Niebor
Ex-Member

Posted - 01/09/2006 :  10:24 AM
quote:
Originally posted by scottrnelson

I'm curious how many people chose a different bike than what they're riding now. I would bet it isn't very many.

I chose a different one. Currently ride the v-twin, which tops the list. I chose "other", because the Wing or an older Valkerie appear to top my list at the moment. I had no clue Honda had taken the Valkerie to a v-twin. I am far more interested in a HO/4 or perhaps even the 1800 HO/6. Either will obviously perform well. Smooth run and ride are my top priorities. If Honda and the others abandon the horizontal motor in favor of v-twins, I will probably add BMW to the list of contenders. I have no quarrel with V-twins, up to say, about 600 cc. Beyond that, the individual strokes are simply too noticeable.

Lee
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05