(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3459 positive of 3842 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Polls
 Reaction Time
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

Bean
Male Senior Member
260 Posts

Pinellas, FL
USA

Kawasaki

94' Vulcan 750

Posted - 02/04/2006 :  1:23 PM   DetailDetail                        Like
Poll Question:  (Only members can see/vote)
http://www.fetchfido.co.uk/games/re...ion_test.htm (Requires Flash)

This is a quick test to see what your reaction time is.
You'll be given an average after the test completes five times.
For the Poll, round Up your Average score.
Only take the test once to insure your score doesn't get faster with practice.. most of us don't get to practice crashing afterall.

Results:
.40   [0%] 0 votes 
.38   [0%] 0 votes 
.36   [0%] 0 votes 
.34   [14%] 2 votes 
.32   [0%] 0 votes 
.30   [14%] 2 votes 
.28   [7%] 1 votes 
.26   [14%] 2 votes 
.24   [7%] 1 votes 
.22   [29%] 4 votes 
.20   [7%] 1 votes 
.18   [7%] 1 votes 
.16   [0%] 0 votes 

Poll Status: Closed  »»   Total Votes: 14 counted  »»   Last Vote: 02/07/2006 3:43 PM 

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17384 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 02/04/2006 :  1:31 PM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
This is a fascinating exercise.

I am particularly interested because I have maintained, despite studies that claim to the contrary, that unexpected threats are usually reacted to (meaning that they have been recognized and a decision is made to do something - like brake) in less than one second. Some studies have indicated it takes an 'average person' as much as 1.6 seconds to react to an unexpected threat which, it seems to me, is FAR beyond the 'normal' of motorcycle riders.

I would like you to think about the last time you were doing a slow speed maneuver and (though it is the wrong thing to do, generally) you stabbed at the ground with your down foot when you thought the bike might fall over. I guarantee you did that in far less time than 1.6 seconds (or even 1 second) or you were already eating asphalt.
Go to Top of Page

OB
Male Advanced Member
529 Posts

Houston, TX
USA

Buell

1125CR and others

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  9:05 PM
Well, simple tests like the one recommended really only measure reaction time. You don't have to rank what you see to determine if it is a threat or determine what course of action you need to take if it is.

The referenced test is easy. See a color change and hit the mouse button. Don't have to determine if an action is required. Don't have to determine what action to take.

Therefore, the test doesn't include the other important parts of a good mental strategy. I would tend to think that the studies you mentioned are closer to the truth, although they may be a tad high. This test doesn't test the total time it takes you to react to dynamic decisions and reactions you need to make on the street. Obviously this is my opinion, however, it is strongly held (for this snapshot in time).

quote:
Originally posted by James R. Davis

This is a fascinating exercise.

I am particularly interested because I have maintained, despite studies that claim to the contrary, that unexpected threats are usually reacted to (meaning that they have been recognized and a decision is made to do something - like brake) in less than one second. Some studies have indicated it takes an 'average person' as much as 1.6 seconds to react to an unexpected threat which, it seems to me, is FAR beyond the 'normal' of motorcycle riders.

I would like you to think about the last time you were doing a slow speed maneuver and (though it is the wrong thing to do, generally) you stabbed at the ground with your down foot when you thought the bike might fall over. I guarantee you did that in far less time than 1.6 seconds (or even 1 second) or you were already eating asphalt.

Edited by - OB on 02/23/2006 9:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

weigle
18 Posts

Chattanooga, TN
USA

Honda

Shadow Spirit 750DC

Posted - 03/03/2006 :  11:34 PM
wow, i've been sitting at home and drank a 6-pack of beer and actually scored BETTER under the influence than sober. All though the scores are close that doesn't mean DUI is ok. I wont even drink 2 beers if I'm on the bike, but I think it's interesting the scores don't differ after a 6-pack - but in fact get better. I actually took the test 3 times and came out with a faster reaction time than sober all 3 times. I don't know how valid this test is. Perhaps reaction time doesn't differ but it's judgement that's influenced.
Go to Top of Page

Thom Thumb
Advanced Member
1595 Posts
[Mentor]

Jordan, MN
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster XL883

Posted - 03/04/2006 :  11:59 AM
quote:
Originally posted by weigle

. . . I actually took the test 3 times and came out with a faster reaction time than sober all 3 times. I don't know how valid this test is. Perhaps reaction time doesn't differ but it's judgement that's influenced.

Weigle, only the first time counts. There is a learning curve that allows you to do better with repeated attempts. That defeats the purpose of the test, which is to find your reaction time to a NEW situation. That said, I took the test twice. My results indicate that my reflexes are slower than the norm - which I knew, and which is why I tend to allow more cushion than most people would.

The test is not really all that scientific. And beer surely makes it less so. I'm glad you don't drink and ride.

Be Safe!
TT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05