(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3459 positive of 3842 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 General Discussion
 Training wheels for motorcycles
Previous Page
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

capozzir
303 Posts

Leesburg, VA
USA

Honda

GL1800B

Posted - 01/14/2008 :  8:23 AM
quote:
Originally posted by majec5

hello everyone, I am new to this site and have some questions on this topic. I have tried doing some research on training wheels for a goldwing but am not finding much. My father just passed away and I inherited his Goldwing, the love of motorcycling is something my father and I always shared, before he died he told me that I should get training wheels put on the bike as I am to short to hold the bike up but he said that the ones I should have is not the retractable ones I have seen nor was he talking about having it turned into a trike. According to him I would be able to back the bike into them and attach them to the bike. I am learning how to ride and will not ride the goldwing until I am absolutely comfortable and know that I can be safe and responsible and being able to get these "training wheels" would help. After this long ramble my question is 1) is there such a thing that he is talking about 2) if so, where can I get them 3) anyone know an approximate cost and 4) Where can I find a motorcycle safety course. Thanks for all the help.

I believe the "kit" you may be thinking of is the Voyager Trike Kit. http://www.mtcvoyager.com/

At the price of this kit however, it would probably be less expensive to buy a smaller used motorcycle, learn to ride and then decide if you want/can tackle the larger Goldwing you have.
Go to Top of Page

WarHawk
Male Advanced Member
1796 Posts

Baytown, Texas
USA

Yamaha

'07 V-Star Custom

Posted - 01/14/2008 :  10:12 AM
Why think of them as "training wheels"

Think of them as low speed landing support...they retract when the bike has stability...so only when the bike is going slow do they come out
Go to Top of Page

theneanderthal
Male Junior Member
89 Posts

Ft. Walton Bch, FL
USA

Suzuki

gz250

Posted - 01/21/2008 :  5:29 PM
Looks to me like a great idea for those in need of the help but, can't you just see snagging one of those things on a lamppost or something while making a right turn. Ouch!

I attend a lot of rodeos and routinely see an older coyboy cruising the show grounds with a yamaha dirt bike equiped with bicycle type training wheels. The are mounted so as to maintain about six inches of clearence from the ground. Works well for him. Parking lot speeds
only though as far as I know.
Go to Top of Page

Warlock622
Male Standard Member
196 Posts

Shelby, North Carolina
USA

Suzuki

Intruder 800

Posted - 01/21/2008 :  6:45 PM
Haven't used this product but due to joint damage in my right hip, I dropped my bike cause my leg buckled with no warning at a stop sign, so I installed a Voyager trike kit on my Valk. Yeah, I get teased about having training wheels...but that's ok by me. I'm still in the wind and that's all that matters. Ride safe 'n keep the rubber side down!Warlock
Go to Top of Page

radan2
Male Advanced Member
1117 Posts
[Mentor]

Jacksonville, NC
USA

Moto Guzzi

2007 Breva V750 ie

Peer Review: 1

Posted - 01/21/2008 :  8:07 PM
Watch out about dissing the elderly: it is the one group we will all join if we live. If you seriously would prefer to live hard, die young, and make a beautiful corpse, stay the hell away from me.

There are many of us who are perfectly capable riders who will develop arthritis or gout, or have to have knee surgery or other orthopedic problems. Why should a person who is a good rider, safe and courteous, aware and capable, be prevented from riding because he is a veteran who has lost a leg from an IED, or an old person whose muscular endurance has been sapped by age?

It is no more a safety issue than the use by a paraplegic of a car with hand controls.

There are physical conditions that will prevent a person from operating a bike safely: serious uncorrectable vision problems, or dementia. But loss of leg strength can be overcome with devices like this or by the use of trikes.

I'd rather have an older rider with training wheels or a trike as a riding companion than a younger person with more testosterone than brains.

BTW, in my opinion, the only people who look good driving convertibles are women. A woman in a convertible looks daring and exotic. A guy in a convertible looks like he should wear a sign saying, "If my willie were bigger, I would have bought a bike instead."
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6955 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 01/21/2008 :  10:55 PM
quote:
Originally posted by radan2

BTW, in my opinion, the only people who look good driving convertibles are women. A woman in a convertible looks daring and exotic. A guy in a convertible looks like he should wear a sign saying, "If my willie were bigger, I would have bought a bike instead."

So what does it mean if I own two bikes AND a convertible?

Go to Top of Page

radan2
Male Advanced Member
1117 Posts
[Mentor]

Jacksonville, NC
USA

Moto Guzzi

2007 Breva V750 ie

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  12:21 AM
quote:
Originally posted by scottrnelson

quote:

That your wife won't let you own three bikes.
Go to Top of Page

bkikkert
Male Advanced Member
847 Posts
[Mentor]

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada

Harley-Davidson

Ultra Classic '08

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  9:58 AM
Right on Radon2....I think these are great inventions for those who have weak legs and still want to ride. I suppose all the negative comments are coming from younger riders who some day may appreciate these. I can see no problem with this discussion on a safety site as a rider with this device is a lot safer than a rider with weak legs. What is wrong with an avid rider continuing to enjoy motorcycling by using extra wheels rather than going back to a car or buying an expensive, bulky trike? Assuming this device has been thoroughly tested as advertised and there is no malfunction, someone please explain to me how riding with such a person would be a safety hazard....and also remember there are malfunctions on regular motorcycles....
Go to Top of Page

sixsigma
Male Advanced Member
801 Posts

Toronto, Ontario
Canada

Suzuki

Marauder vz 805

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  5:35 PM
quote:
Originally posted by howard.v

It is a good idea in concept. It could always use a little refining. I met a rider a while back who has a Goldwing, but doesn't ride anymore. He said he doesn't have any problems while he is at speed, but when he comes to a stop, he is no longer able to hold the bike up. This would have been good for him.

It is not a hindrance. If a rider can safely operate his machine with or without these wheels, More power to him.

I tend to agree with howard.v. As I tend to advance in age, I am blessed that I do not have disabilities (O.K. other than those aches and pains associated in advancing in age) however I do note that associates and friends of friends who admire my bike (and free spirit)are definitely potential bike owners however are sometimes those afflicted with a disability. Witness one young lady with several pins in her leg through medical malpractice who just "beamed" when I showed her the website.

Just my thoughts however I share the spirit
Go to Top of Page

Red Dragon
Male Starting Member
2 Posts

Barnesville, ga
USA

Kawasaki

KZ 440 LTD

Posted - 03/14/2008 :  2:13 PM
Its about time, Having been a rider for years and recently going through 3 botched surgeries on my left knee. It would be nice to get back out on the road and enjoy.
Safety wise...... as long as this product has been fully tested and certified, Why not?????

I agree most of the negative comments probably come from the younger generation of riders. To them, pay-back is hell when you get older----Watch your tongue!!!!!

If you can ride safely.............Ride on!!!!!!!!!
(no matter your limitations!!!!!!!!!!!)
Go to Top of Page

Donald1684
Male Standard Member
217 Posts

Edison, NJ
USA

Honda

Shadow Spirit 750

Posted - 03/14/2008 :  9:37 PM
Red Dragon,

You said:

I agree your view. But there comes a time in our life when someone has to say: You are not riding/driving safely and are a danger to yourself and others.

I have told my sons that when I move to Florida and buy a Grand Marquis they are to take my keys away!!!

As to the other Yays and Nays on this subject, check this guy out.

http://www.motorcyclemojo.com/featu...soldier.html
View video 1 first.

Jim from NJ
Go to Top of Page

degaboh
Female Senior Member
258 Posts

Houston, TX
USA

Kawasaki

Ninja EX250R

Posted - 03/15/2008 :  8:51 PM
My initial impression when I clicked the link and saw the ad about the training wheels was also that if you need them, maybe you need to either practice more or stay off a bike.

Why?

Because that website starts with: "Don't want to give up riding but have problems controlling your bike at low speeds?"

It basically says that if you don't have slow speed control but you don't have the patience to learn, use these wheels and it'll all be good. Anyways that's my impression of the website.

It seems like the real use for these wheels would be what others have stated above, for those that can't hold up the bike. I don't think it should be used for those that actually do have problems controlling a bike at low speeds (which is not the same as can't hold up the bike).

Am I misunderstanding things, are those two things actually the same?

-Z

Go to Top of Page

degaboh
Female Senior Member
258 Posts

Houston, TX
USA

Kawasaki

Ninja EX250R

Posted - 03/15/2008 :  10:47 PM
quote:
Originally posted by scottrnelson

quote:

Scott, it means you should give the car to me and learn to live with the two beautiful bikes you already have.

Go to Top of Page

Red Dragon
Male Starting Member
2 Posts

Barnesville, ga
USA

Kawasaki

KZ 440 LTD

Posted - 03/17/2008 :  7:48 PM
[quote]Originally posted by Donald1684

Red Dragon,

You said:

I agree your view. But there comes a time in our life when someone has to say: [i]You are not riding/driving safely and are a danger to yourself and others.

I feel the same way but feel the need to point out.......I have seen all to many younger generation riders that need their license pulled...... Their careless driving techniques are gonna kill someone someday.
Better to find an empty cliff and ride off with the death-wish some of them carry. Bill
Go to Top of Page

killaclown
Starting Member
2 Posts

Elbow, tx
USA

Norton

Commando

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  5:05 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Deseret Rider

I have a photo taken in Santa Anna, Texas (rediculous name for a town not far from San Antonio ---isn't it?).

Santa Anna, Texas is a VERY long way from San Antonio. But yes, it's a strange name for any town in Texas considering the past, but the name actually came from Comanche war chief Santanna.
Go to Top of Page

Tecpatl4
Male Senior Member
394 Posts

Columbus, OH
USA

Triumph

Bonneville

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  5:09 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Niebor

Heres an interesting product. Electro/hydraulic training wheels. Designed for the rider that would otherwise have to consider a trike.

http://www.safetyfeatures.com/

I saw something similar last night at bike night. The wheels were bigger and it wasn't quite as polished, but essentially that was it. There was a girl who weighed maybe 100 pounds who said she wanted to get some because her Triumph was too big for her.

Of course, selling her bike was never even mentioned
Go to Top of Page

Donald1684
Male Standard Member
217 Posts

Edison, NJ
USA

Honda

Shadow Spirit 750

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  7:31 PM
I sent the site to my Harley son with the missive that he should ever see me with this, he is to be merciful to me and take me out and shoot me.

Jim from NJ
Go to Top of Page

biocoach
Male Senior Member
259 Posts

Falls Church, Va
USA

GAS GAS

Posted - 08/15/2008 :  2:39 PM
Old topic but someone drug it up.

I see nothing wrong with the idea. If you're fine with guys riding trikes or sidecar rigs when they can't go two wheeled, what's wrong with this device? Have you seen how expensive sidecars and trikes are these days!?!? Furthermore, one of the best parts of riding is the lean through the turns. You lose that with trikes and sidecars (well not articulated sidecars). The countersteering and side to side makes riding so much more fun. I'd highly dislike to the h^ate power to have to give it up if I didn't have to.

Those of you denouncers must be in flat areas without twisties!
Go to Top of Page

killaclown
Starting Member
2 Posts

Elbow, tx
USA

Norton

Commando

Posted - 08/15/2008 :  11:56 PM
In response to the detractors of devices like this and those who think it's sacrilege to have more than 2 wheels, I think riding a bike safely is 99% mental. Lots of things can go wrong with a human being's body, but their mind is still intact. I applaud innovators that come up with things like this, making bikes accessible to more people. It takes very little strength to use the throttle, clutch and brakes, but keeping a bike upright at stops alone might keep many from riding and something like this takes care of that. Hats off to these riders who WANT to be safer to those around them while the maniacs in 4 wheelers continue their insanity and are accepted as normal.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05