(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3458 positive of 3841 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Polls
 Do you spend more time riding or discussing?
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6954 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 07/06/2006 :  11:27 AM   DetailDetail                        Like
Poll Question:
It was brought up another forum that most of us spend more time reading about motorcycles and discussing them than actually riding them. I know that I'm guilty of that as well. I'll even let you count time spent working on your motorcycle as "riding" time so this poll isn't too one-sided.

So do you spend more time riding your motorcycle or more time discussing motorcycles?

Results:
I ride more than I discuss motorcycles   [44%] 24 votes 
I spend more time reading and discussing motorcycles than riding   [56%] 30 votes 
= Guests (17 votes)

Poll Status: Closed  »»   Total Votes: 54 counted  »»   Last Vote: 08/05/2006 10:35 PM 

Sox Fan
Male Senior Member
419 Posts
[Mentor]

Kerhonkson, NY
USA

Suzuki

DL 650

Posted - 07/06/2006 :  11:43 AM
On a daily basis during the week the split is something like this:

Riding
30 minutes each way to work and back

Total - 1 hour

Reading/disussing
15 minutes in the morning during my coffee break
30 minutes at lunch time while I eat
15 minutes in the afternoon
30 to 60 minutes in the evening

Total - 1.5 to 2 hours

So over the course of a week it winds up being about 5 hours riding vs. 8 to 10 hours reading or discussing. Once in a while I'll take a ride at lunch, or I'll ride during the weekend, but I think the balance is still tipped toward "peripheral" activities.
Go to Top of Page

Nicolas27
Male Senior Member
364 Posts
[Mentor]

Atlanta, Georgia
USA

Honda

'06 Aero

Posted - 07/06/2006 :  3:24 PM
I commute to work which doesn't account for much, but I often ride long rides as well, which makes up for the difference.

I've put 4000 miles on my bike in 2 months. If I have discussed as much as that, I'd have 2000+ posts on this forum by now, probably.
Go to Top of Page
Niebor
Ex-Member

Posted - 07/06/2006 :  6:57 PM
This time of year, 50/50 is realistic. Cut out rain days, and really cold winter and snow days, I confess, more time reading than riding.

But then, If I find something new in reading, I get to try it out the next time I ride. More than a few good habits were the direct result of reading time.
Go to Top of Page

SteveS
Male Advanced Member
1208 Posts
[Mentor]

Toronto, Ontario
Canada

Harley-Davidson

2018 Tri-Gliide

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  4:25 PM
It's our two month SUMMER. I ride more than read until the season changes .....
Go to Top of Page

broo
Male Standard Member
112 Posts

Belleville, Ontario
Canada

Kawasaki

2006 Vulcan 900 LT

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  9:49 AM
I commute about 200km (120-130 miles?) a day. The first thing I do when I get to work is turn on the computer and check out this site...and continue to do so throughout the day. Lately it's probably been a 50-50 split for me but rain days make me lean more towards reading than riding for the purposes of this poll.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.35 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05