(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3458 positive of 3841 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Polls
 Weak Side Turning II
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

Mikeydude
Male Advanced Member
755 Posts
[Mentor]

Ft. Worth, Texas
USA

Harley-Davidson

03 FXD Super Glide

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  11:38 PM   DetailDetail                        Like
Poll Question:
I was practicing in the parking lot and have realized that I really need a lot of work to get my right hand maneuvers as strong as my left hand maneuvers. James' mentioned to me once that it's common for some people to have issues with one side or the other, so I thought I'd see how many have issues and with which direction... The question was also raised if which hand you favor (left/right) has an influence.

(This was posted in another poll that was modified and flawed. Please vote again...)

Thanks

MikeyDude

(Thank you James for the do over!)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Do you have troubles with slow speed turning maneuvers and if so which direction is weakest? Are you right or left handed?

Results:
I have no issues and I'm right handed.   [19%] 14 votes 
I have no issues and I'm left handed.   [1%] 1 votes 
I have more trouble making right turns and I'm right handed.   [57%] 42 votes 
I have more trouble making right turns and I'm left handed.   [7%] 5 votes 
I have more trouble making left turns and I'm right handed.   [14%] 10 votes 
I have more trouble making left turns and I'm left handed.   [3%] 2 votes 
= Guests (20 votes)

Poll Status: Closed  »»   Total Votes: 74 counted  »»   Last Vote: 08/19/2006 1:30 PM 

Edited by - Mikeydude on 07/19/2006 11:39 PM

SteveS
Male Advanced Member
1208 Posts
[Mentor]

Toronto, Ontario
Canada

Harley-Davidson

2018 Tri-Gliide

Posted - 07/20/2006 :  10:31 AM
A question from a Lefty who has more difficulty with RH U-turns (not other sharp or wide RH turns ............ What practice technique can I add to my practice to help lay down some better "mussle memory".

It has to do, I believe, with the tendency to rollon or rolloff the gas when bringing the RH bar in close.
Go to Top of Page

che mike
39 Posts

Seattle, WA
USA

Suzuki

1989 GS500

Posted - 07/20/2006 :  1:32 PM
I have trouble making slow right turns in parking lot drills, but I don't think my handed-ness has anything to do with it. I think it's the fact that my throttle hand is the 'downhill' hand; at full right lock there's not much room between the right handgrip and the tank so i have trouble with throttle control. I've been working more on using the left hand to control speed for these slow drills but it's been difficult.

On faster turns, I find right turns more difficult than left turns because the same hand that's putting the steering input (pushing on the right handgrip) is also controlling the throttle.
Go to Top of Page

Sox Fan
Male Senior Member
419 Posts
[Mentor]

Kerhonkson, NY
USA

Suzuki

DL 650

Posted - 07/20/2006 :  2:54 PM
I'd have to agree with che mike 100%. I have more trouble with right hand slow turns, because I'm trying to control my speed with my throttle hand, whereas I should be using the friction zone instead.
Go to Top of Page

Mikeydude
Male Advanced Member
755 Posts
[Mentor]

Ft. Worth, Texas
USA

Harley-Davidson

03 FXD Super Glide

Posted - 07/20/2006 :  3:15 PM
Thanks guys on that one... I have exactly the same issue... The throttle hand being in an awkward position. I know that clutch control is the solution, but there are some subtle throttle tweeks that happen too. For me I lose that subtleness. In the MSF I blew the box on the right hand portion of it. I only missed by the front tire, but I didn't have the same confident control as I did going left.

The excersize I'm working on is one of James' suggestions...

From a dead stop, cut the bars to full lock then try and take off from that position with no more than 1 or 2 steps before picking up your feet. I can do this well going to the left, but to the right I almost dump the bike 80% of the time and have to abort.
Go to Top of Page
Niebor
Ex-Member

Posted - 07/20/2006 :  7:54 PM
Mikey,

For what its worth, i've been riding the same bike for over two years now, and have exactly the same issues you experience.

I also believe James is right, its a matter of enough parking lot time to get over it. But then, being somewhat, average in the 'chicken' category, I tend to read another book, instead of doing what I should, PRACTICE! But then, i'm rarely intimidated by a book. The feel of this big ol' cruiser at 45 degrees, at less than 40 mph, still intimidates me. Sure feels good at 60 though.
Go to Top of Page

Shadow5
Male Junior Member
45 Posts

Burlington, VT
USA

Honda

Shadow 500

Posted - 07/20/2006 :  9:14 PM
I just came in from some parking lot practice, and I'm pretty comfortable with a full lock U-turn to the right, but I'm a little hesitant on the left, and can never quite get to full lock.

Oh well, more practice!
Go to Top of Page

Nicolas27
Male Senior Member
364 Posts
[Mentor]

Atlanta, Georgia
USA

Honda

'06 Aero

Posted - 07/20/2006 :  10:51 PM
Wow, why are right-handed turns by right handers harder??

Throttle??

Is there another reason?

Maybe I have taken my turning skill for granted. I've never seemed to have a problem in either direction. I wasn't even aware that one side might be harder than the other.

Or perhaps, I'm better at one side and just never noticed it.
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6954 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 07/21/2006 :  7:23 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolas27

Throttle??

Since about 90% of people are right handed, of course you'll get more right handed people having issues with right turns if right turns are harder. On the current polls, left handers also have more issues with right turns.

I'm sure it has to do with where the throttle is, and how it's more difficult to work when it's tight against the tank. The trick is to set a steady throttle and use the clutch for control in tight right hand turns.

Since we drive on the right side of the road, I make regular U-turns going left, but very rarely make a tight right turn. But I had lots of practice at it when I used to ride a dirt bike.
Go to Top of Page

kiddal
Male Advanced Member
1561 Posts
[Mentor]

SE, Indiana
USA

Kawasaki

KLR650

Posted - 07/21/2006 :  10:56 AM
Probably has a lot to do with one's bike as well. The KLR has wide handlebars and it's harder for me to control the throttle on an extreme left which seems to leave me in the minority. Extreme rights put the throttle in a pretty convienent place for me.

My issue may be opposite on something with narrower bars like most sport bikes.
Go to Top of Page

marsam
Male Advanced Member
510 Posts
[Mentor]

Birkirkara
Malta

Yamaha

Dragstar & Vmax

Posted - 08/05/2006 :  10:43 AM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
I have chosen the troubled doing left handed turns and I am left handed. the last option.

But I guess that the reason why we favour turning one way rather than the other is more determined by the side of the road we drive/ride on. In Malta we drive/ride on the left hand side of the road so our U turns (where allowed) take place to the right. So I guess that there developes a natural desire to turn (and feel comfortable turning) right rather than left in a place where you have a choice, such as in a parking lot.

The fact that the highest response, from a mostly American membership on this forum, is the one opposite to mine goes to confirm my theory.

Kiddal also has a point with the style and reach of the handlebars. On the dragstar I have to splay my legs out wide so that I can apply full handlebar lock on either side as grips almost reach the tank where my kness usually are (I'm 6' 2"). With this awkward turning position I still favour right handed turns as I don't think I would be able to operate the clutch properly in the friction zone at that extreme left turning position.

Edited by - marsam on 08/11/2006 5:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

WarHawk
Male Advanced Member
1796 Posts

Baytown, Texas
USA

Yamaha

'07 V-Star Custom

Posted - 08/10/2006 :  5:57 PM
My MSF instructor says right hand turns are usually harder because all our life we are used to doing things to the left
Go to Top of Page

Seleena
Female Standard Member
120 Posts

Ottawa, Ontario
Canada

Yamaha

XS650 HS 1984

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  12:06 PM
quote:
Originally posted by scottrnelson

quote:
Originally posted by Nicolas27

Throttle??

Since we drive on the right side of the road, I make regular U-turns going left, but very rarely make a tight right turn. But I had lots of practice at it when I used to ride a dirt bike.

I have never thought of this. I always go to the right of our driveway and make a left U turn to face forward again. I never turn right for a U turn. Sometime I need to practice me thinks.
Go to Top of Page

Mikeydude
Male Advanced Member
755 Posts
[Mentor]

Ft. Worth, Texas
USA

Harley-Davidson

03 FXD Super Glide

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  2:54 PM
quote:

Since we drive on the right side of the road, I make regular U-turns going left, but very rarely make a tight right turn.

Well, tight is a subjective term here. Left turns in general are wider than rights, with the exception of U-turns. Every right turn you make is tighter than the left, but I've not had the opportunity to make a right U-turn in actual driving conditions.

Hmmm... 62% (so far) have troubles with right turns. I wonder what the mechanics are that cause this. Lack of practice? Arm position? Or just being right side drivers?

Edited by - Mikeydude on 08/11/2006 2:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6954 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  3:33 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mikeydude

Hmmm... 62% (so far) have troubles with right turns. I wonder what the mechanics are that cause this. Lack of practice? Arm position? Or just being right side drivers?

I think it's the position of the throttle and the awkwardness of working the throttle when it's close to the tank.
Go to Top of Page

Mikeydude
Male Advanced Member
755 Posts
[Mentor]

Ft. Worth, Texas
USA

Harley-Davidson

03 FXD Super Glide

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  3:42 PM
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Mikeydude

I think it's the position of the throttle and the awkwardness of working the throttle when it's close to the tank.

I agree Scott... at least in my case. I know when doing James' excersize with the bars cut to full stop to the right, I feel very awkward and uncomfortable.
Go to Top of Page

batman
Male Standard Member
139 Posts

Royston, Cambs
United Kingdom

Kawasaki

ZX-6R

Posted - 08/19/2006 :  10:54 AM
In the UK, to do a U turn on a normal road its a right hand turn, and I failed the test twice cos I put a foot down due to losing power in the middle of the turn, for this very reason.

When you move the right grip in towards the tank the angle between your arm and the grip changes, so you have to compensate by twisting your wrist more to maintain the throttle angle. It appears most people get this subconciously, but I couldn't. Nearly drove me bats**t.

Edited by - batman on 08/19/2006 10:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

miggz
Male Junior Member
58 Posts

Las Cruces, NM
USA

Kawasaki

EX650r

Posted - 08/27/2006 :  11:55 PM
I was noticing that. Im more cautious and 'new' turning right. Left is more 'natural'.
I need to get out to the parking lot again. I havent been able to practice for 5 days... got a nail..dealer had to order tire

I was going to practice keeping weight over to the left at very slow right turning and u turn practice. keeping the torso vert. and over the wheels. I jumped on my mountain bike and did some slow extreme right turns, and circles leaning the bicycle way right and observed how my body acted as a counter balance and was always over the wheels.

of course moderate speed turns are not as difficult but still more so than left.

Miggz
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.62 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05