(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3452 positive of 3834 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 General Discussion
 The annual Christmas Day ride
Next Page
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6918 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 1090 Adv R

Posted - 12/25/2006 :  10:19 PM                       Like
Ever since I moved to California in the late 80's, if I've had a motorcycle, I've gone for a ride on Christmas Day.

The first time was in about 1994 or so on the DR-350S of my then-teenage son. I had temporarily given up riding motorcycles, but he saved up and bought one and was willing to let his father take it out for an hour or so on Christmas Day. I remember it being a frosty morning that chilled me pretty good, but it was worth it.

The next year, he had signed it over to me in exchange for paying for his college, so I did the Christmas ride again. But I sold that bike and went another couple of years without.

Then in 1997, after buying the first Ducati, I've gone out every year except the one when it was raining.

What I like about riding on Christmas Day is that there is less traffic out on the back roads. The freeways are usually as busy as ever, but I stay off of those if I have a choice. Sometimes I'll ride around on city streets through Pleasanton, Dublin, and Livermore. Other times I'll make a run through a twisty road or two.

So today about 11:30, with the temperature in the low 50's, I was feeling the need for some twisties and rode about 75 miles mostly in the East Bay hills. The few cars or trucks that I caught up with were quick to pull over to let me by, but mostly I had the roads to myself. There were occasional damp spots, requiring extra caution. I was tempted to go faster on the damp straights and then ease up in the corners, but you never know when a deer or something will appear, so I kept reminding myself to back off a bit anywhere it was damp.

Anyway, it has been a great Christmas, made even better with a spirited ride at midday. I guess for me, spirited riding is part of the Christmas spirit. I hope all of you had a good Christmas too.

ksuguy
Male Senior Member
366 Posts

Wichita, KS
USA

Suzuki

V-Strom 650

Posted - 12/25/2006 :  10:41 PM
No riding for me today, I had to tote a bunch of miscellaneous holiday junk around in my truck.
Go to Top of Page

llbcsbiggs
Female Standard Member
223 Posts
[Mentor]

San Diego, CA
USA

Honda

Reflex

Posted - 12/26/2006 :  8:32 AM
Congratulations, Scott! Bryan and I both flew and went riding. We love the quiet on a holiday. Aren't we lucky to have families who know both that we love them and that our hearts need to be fed with some time on the road (or in the sky)?

Have an awesome New Year!

Shannon
Go to Top of Page

Cash Anthony
Female Administrator
1469 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, Texas
USA

Honda

Magna 750

Posted - 12/26/2006 :  10:53 AM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
We often have a holiday ride, but I think it's almost always been on New Year's Day. On Christmas morning, I'm usually still tip-toeing around wrapping presents, bleary-eyed , or putting the ones with food in them under the tree. (Now that the dog's getting older, she doesn't bother things that don't belong to her any more, but there was a time we did look up from dinner to see one of our huskies making off with a leg from the Thanksgiving turkey that was left too close to the counter's edge!)

It was cold, wet and blustery here yesterday morning. Then the sun came out, and it turned even colder after the wind stopped. Near freezing in the 'hood early today, so I think we'll hold off on the ride.

We're supposed to get another turn of storms at the end of the week, but it's still possible that we'll get our New Year's Day ride on Monday morning! It's amazing how quiet the streets are then.

Cash
Go to Top of Page
Niebor
Ex-Member

Posted - 12/26/2006 :  11:13 AM
Sheesh! Rub it in already!

We still have over a foot of packed snow everywhere. Main routes are plowed, and pretty much dry. The side streets and parking lots are still a mess. With more snow forcast for Wed/Thurs, New Years is looking a little doubtfull as well. In other words, a rather nasty case of PMS, (Parked Motorcycle Syndrome), going on around here!

Last year, we scored the hat trick, (rides on Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years), this year, we traded the Christmas ride, for a really white Christmas. Never know, around here, storms are rather hit and miss this time of year. Could still get two out of three.
Go to Top of Page

Sirius
Female Standard Member
202 Posts

EDM, AB
Canada

Harley-Davidson

Posted - 12/26/2006 :  12:05 PM
Merry Christmas Everyone!

In keeping with the spirit of your rides, I walked out to the garage and looked at my bike.

I may have it sold, the fellow will call me the first week of January.
Go to Top of Page

groundhog
Male Senior Member
255 Posts

Waverly, WV
USA

Harley-Davidson

Superglide 35th

Posted - 12/26/2006 :  7:01 PM
Here the situation is a bit different. I ride on New Years Day and have for many years. The difference is it on my horse and not the bike. Its been tradition here as long as I can recall to do this.
Go to Top of Page

Dawn
Advanced Member
712 Posts
[Mentor]

Los Angeles, CA
USA

Harley-Davidson

2007 Street Glide

Posted - 12/26/2006 :  7:15 PM
I love getting out on the holidays. The roads are quiet and the temps are usually great. I got out on Xmas Eve Day. I took one of the long (read popular) canyon passes in the area and didn't see any other bikes. It was great...yet kinda creepy.

This time of year we have a high potential for black ice in the canyons and shadows. I cancel more rides erring on the side of caution. How the day looks and feels at home can be WAY different just 30-45 minutes away.

Dawn
Go to Top of Page

Jerry Godell
Male Senior Member
441 Posts

Kansas City, kansas
USA

Harley-Davidson

FXD SuperGlide

Posted - 12/27/2006 :  9:55 AM
quote:
Originally posted by groundhog

Here the situation is a bit different. I ride on New Years Day and have for many years. The difference is it on my horse and not the bike. Its been tradition here as long as I can recall to do this.

What do you do on groundhog day?
Go to Top of Page

groundhog
Male Senior Member
255 Posts

Waverly, WV
USA

Harley-Davidson

Superglide 35th

Posted - 12/27/2006 :  6:17 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Godell

quote:
Originally posted by groundhog

What do you do on groundhog day?

Sit back and look for my shadow of course!

Edited by - groundhog on 12/27/2006 6:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

sixsigma
Male Advanced Member
801 Posts

Toronto, Ontario
Canada

Suzuki

Marauder vz 805

Posted - 12/27/2006 :  6:18 PM
Well I would have rode my baby but in all fairness to the storage guy? did not want to ruin his day but saw many bikes out here on Christmas day. I will however after my move make sure that I treat myself to that bike scoot on Christmas next year as I may have a little storage spot other than the bike place and I would love to bike in TO on the Christmas day (did it on Dec 15th which is absolutely unbelievable here in Canada) You all go safe,soft and sweet on yourselves and enjoy your Holiday
Go to Top of Page
Niebor
Ex-Member

Posted - 12/27/2006 :  7:59 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sirius

Merry Christmas Everyone!
I may have it sold, the fellow will call me the first week of January.

Had to ask... Plans for the next bike?
Go to Top of Page

amhopf
Male Standard Member
216 Posts

Littleton, Colorado
USA

Honda

02 VFR800 ABS

Posted - 12/29/2006 :  2:55 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Niebor

Sheesh! Rub it in already!

We still have over a foot of packed snow everywhere. Main routes are plowed, and pretty much dry. The side streets and parking lots are still a mess. With more snow forcast for Wed/Thurs, New Years is looking a little doubtfull as well. In other words, a rather nasty case of PMS, (Parked Motorcycle Syndrome), going on around here!

Last year, we scored the hat trick, (rides on Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years), this year, we traded the Christmas ride, for a really white Christmas. Never know, around here, storms are rather hit and miss this time of year. Could still get two out of three.

PS just got another foot, looks like one out of three if you happened to make it out on T-Day, I was in FLA.

PMS, I like that!

and to add insult to injury, the ski areas in the mountains are getting just a fraction of what Denver has seen. I have had to miss 3 days of work for snow reason (pun intended).

HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVEYONE!
Go to Top of Page
Niebor
Ex-Member

Posted - 12/29/2006 :  3:10 PM
Glad you made it in Andrew. DIA was all but shut down last week. This storm has been a bit friendlier, same amount of snow, but spread out over a couple days. We are now a bit over 3 feet on the ground, with more coming. Were going to be digging out for a while!

Oh well, the good news is the bike now has fresh oil throughout and I finally got around to servicing the forks. Only donated one knuckle to the process. Its ready to go!
Go to Top of Page

Cruiser35
Male Junior Member
44 Posts

Allentown, PA
USA

Kawasaki

vulcan 900

Posted - 12/29/2006 :  7:05 PM
I've been on vacation the last two weeks and the weather has been extremely mild in PA for this time of year. I've been riding nearly everyday. I even completed a covered bridge tour in my area. This has been the best xmas vacation yet. Problem is the temp. is bound to drop and the scooter will be put in storage until spring. I really envy those of you who have great riding temp. year round. Safe and happy new year to all.
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6918 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 1090 Adv R

Posted - 12/26/2007 :  2:14 PM
Rather than start a new thread, I figured it would be more appropriate to tack another message onto this one.

The weather was clear and dry yesterday for Christmas Day. My ST2 is in the garage with the clutch disassembled, waiting for a throw-out bearing, so I "had" to ride the 888 instead.

I couldn't find my neck warmer, but it turned out that I really didn't need it. The temperature was in the low 50's and my leathers were warm enough, as long as I kept the zipper up all the way to my neck. I rode almost 75 miles, just like last year, but on more open roads so there really wasn't any concern for dampness on the roadway.

There was very little traffic, which was great. I saw maybe ten other motorcycle out and every single one of them returned my wave.

One thing that I probably shouldn't have done was to ride for a few miles on a straight section of freeway at the edge of the Central Valley near Tracy. With so little traffic, I found it hard to resist finding out how fast my Ducati can go when I came to a big gap in traffic. I still don't know what the top speed it, but I did spend a few seconds at a speed faster than I had ever gone on that bike. Then my concern for safety took over and I slowed it down much closer to legal speeds.

The rest of the trip was twisties and the city streets of Livermore and Pleasanton. Then back home to help prepare the Christmas dinner and finish off the day.

I hope the rest of you had a great Christmas, like I did.
Go to Top of Page

gtscpe
Standard Member
110 Posts

san diego, ca
USA

Honda

'06 Goldwing

Posted - 12/26/2007 :  2:51 PM
I live in San Diego. Weather was great over the weekend. I went for a ride up in the hills, Mt Laguna, then Mt Palomar. The day before, I rode over the twisties to Palm Springs.

A little cold at Mt Laguna, 34' at about 10 in the morning. Warmed to about 63' down below. Hardly any car traffic on the road. And even less "bikers". Stopped at the top of Palomar and ended up talking with 3 separate solo riders. Then we left one at a time.

Should be just as nice next weekend!
Go to Top of Page
Niebor
Ex-Member

Posted - 12/26/2007 :  5:14 PM
LOL, Man, Talk about the same story, for both of us! We got a nice ride in on Thanksgiving, but low and behold, it started snowing late evening Christmas Eve. Snowed all day yesterday, 6-8" on the ground. So, we're all dug out, main streets are nearing rideable, but our side streets need another couple days. Oh Ohh, were expecting snow again tomorrow. Rats!!!

Glad you got a good ride in Scott, I'm jealous!
Go to Top of Page

jnmobley
Male Senior Member
261 Posts

Carson, Virginia
USA

Triumph

2007 Speedmaster

Posted - 12/26/2007 :  5:27 PM
I too took a short Christmas Day ride. It was 51 degrees with no precipitation and very nice but about 10 miles into my ride I had to switch to reserve. As there were no stations open I decided to head for the barn so that I would have enough gas left to get to a station today. Of course today is cold and raining so even getting gas is postponed. The short ride I did get in was great!
Go to Top of Page

AZJohn
Male Standard Member
133 Posts

Clarkdale, AZ
USA

Honda

05 Shadow Spirit 750

Posted - 12/26/2007 :  7:20 PM
I'm in Neibor country for a few days, arriving between snowstorms, it seems. Back home in Arizona I had a great little Christmas Day ride around the backroads of Sedona. I'm still testing the limits of both my bike and the idiot who rides it and I'm pretty sure that even though I stretched both a little on the holiday, that I have not reached my personal redline. Not much riding going on here this week. 6-8" yesterday, and about that expected again tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

radan2
Male Advanced Member
1117 Posts
[Mentor]

Jacksonville, NC
USA

Moto Guzzi

2007 Breva V750 ie

Posted - 12/27/2007 :  3:50 AM
I had gone to visit my sister for Christmas, and came home Christmas afternoon as she and her husband went to visit their daughter and grandchildren.

The temperature was in the 50s, the air very clear and crisp, and a little damp, since we had some rain (a real Christmas present to everyone in this state). The roads were mostly dry.

My route takes me down parts of I-95 and I-40, and along NC-24 and US-13. Traffic was very light. Everyone who had a fireplace appeared to be using it; the smell of wood smoke was heavy in the air in most of the residential areas I went through. Christmas yard decorations were fully lit. I had been tempted to take an alternate route which used more backroads, but I started late and wanted to get home before dark.

There were lots of places where kids were out with new bikes or 4-wheelers. At one place, the family had built a fire in a 55-gallon drum and appeared to be roasting marshmallows. In another, there appeared to be a huge family reunion; about a dozen cars parked along the road or in the yard, and a big touch football game going on in an open field beside the house. There was a consistent wind, and I saw at least three groups out flying kites. One was a very elaborate kite structure, with several kites on the same string, following after each other like a flock of birds.

Although the road was clear, I felt no desire to rush. I stopped on the way to get off the bike and walk around, and allow my hands to warm up (I was not wearing my thickest gloves).

Very pleasant ride.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.69 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05