(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3452 positive of 3834 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 General Discussion
 The annual Christmas Day ride
Previous Page | Next Page
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

aa6vh
Male Standard Member
165 Posts

Oxnard, CA
USA

Suzuki

Burgman 650

Posted - 12/27/2007 :  9:08 AM
Here in southern California, we were having Santa Ana winds on Christmas. The news reported that they clocked winds at 107mph in the Malibu hills that day.

I stayed home and played with the new GPS I got for the bike.

Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6925 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 1090 Adv R

Posted - 12/25/2008 :  1:28 PM
Although I did get the bike out today, it was a rather short ride. I rode about ten miles total to go pick up tickets for the movie Marley and Me and that was enough. It has been raining off and on for more than a day and has been quite windy, so even though the sun is shining right now, all of the roads are wet and many of them have small wet leaves all over them as well.

So I rode the motorcycle just to do it, but could not trust traction anywhere and rode very conservatively. But I'll get more riding in during the coming days, and might even pick up another bike if things work out for me.

Merry Christmas to all of you.
Go to Top of Page

Guzzimundi
261 Posts
[Mentor]

Palmeira, Coruna
Spain

Moto Guzzi

Breva 750

Posted - 12/25/2008 :  4:36 PM
Well its been sunny, crisp and windless here so it would've been a crime not to ride in these conditions. Also, the roads have been very quiet and empty so it has been a real pleasure. Delightful. Merry Christmas all.
Go to Top of Page

VodkaAndPickles
Male Advanced Member
589 Posts

Langhorne, PA
USA

Suzuki

Intruder 1500 LC

Posted - 12/25/2008 :  4:49 PM
I spent a good deal of today sanding off the rust that has accumulated on my exhaust pipes because of the salt. Tomorrow, I'll go buy some Permatex rust dissolver, apply that, then paint the whole thing over with Rust-Oleum. My formerly black pipes have now been sanded down to the bare metal.

So no riding today, or for the next couple of days either. I hope I can put the exhaust back on correctly, too.

My next bike (whenever that will be) will have the stock chrome exhaust. Hopefully that might prevent rusting (?).
Go to Top of Page
Niebor
Ex-Member

Posted - 12/25/2008 :  6:06 PM
LOL, This seems like a thread we'll revive, about once a year.

I took a short 40 mile hop to Castle Rock and back, just to be able to say I rode on Christmas day. I have a little tradition, try to sneak in a ride on Thanksgiving, Christmas Day and New Years Day. I call it a "Hat Trick".

Bike is running SWEET! Tad windy, no snow whatsoever, very little gravel. Road surface temp: 54F. The divide kept the last two big storms on the west side. Whole family over this morning, nice little ride this afternoon. Life IS grand!

Merry Christmas everyone!
Go to Top of Page

gymnast
4260 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, Idaho
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster Sport

Posted - 12/25/2008 :  8:02 PM
After coming back from a trip to the Quick Mart this morning (4 wheel drive through the slush, ice and snow) I put the truck back in the garage and gave the gave the bike a pat on the back fender as I went into the house.
Go to Top of Page

gdickelman
Male Advanced Member
1205 Posts
[Mentor]

Annandale, VA
USA

Moto Guzzi

California Vintage

Posted - 12/26/2008 :  1:29 AM
quote:
Originally posted by gymnast

After coming back from a trip to the Quick Mart this morning (4 wheel drive through the slush, ice and snow) I put the truck back in the garage and gave the gave the bike a pat on the back fender as I went into the house.

I spent about 2.5 hours cleaning the salty mess off the Guzzi (from my adventures in the snow storm a couple of weeks ago), then took her for a nice ride through DC and visited the National Christmas Tree and Menorah. The weather was beautiful and the ride was wonderful.

Go to Top of Page

Night Train
Male Advanced Member
1668 Posts
[Mentor]

Sydney, Nova Scotia
Canada

Kawasaki

2006 VN900

Posted - 12/26/2008 :  3:11 AM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
quote:
Originally posted by VodkaAndPickles

I spent a good deal of today sanding off the rust that has accumulated on my exhaust pipes because of the salt. Tomorrow, I'll go buy some Permatex rust dissolver, apply that, then paint the whole thing over with Rust-Oleum. My formerly black pipes have now been sanded down to the bare metal.

So no riding today, or for the next couple of days either. I hope I can put the exhaust back on correctly, too.

My next bike (whenever that will be) will have the stock chrome exhaust. Hopefully that might prevent rusting (?).

You might consider using BBQ paint on the exhaust. It withstands the heat much better and you may find you will be repainting it less. When you go to the chrome exhaust lots of wax as well as regular cleaning will keep the rust away. In any event I envy the fact that you were able to get out and ride. A slushy white Christmas here with falling temperatures and chilling winds.
Go to Top of Page

Victory
Advanced Member
633 Posts
[Mentor]

Pawcatuck, CT
USA

Victory

10th Anny Vision

Posted - 12/26/2008 :  5:37 AM
We had 9 inches of snow fall during the weekend and then rain on top of that and it turned into lots of ice. The day before Christmas we had lots of rain that washed all the bad stuff away.
The sun was breaking through the morning so I backed the bike out of the garage and went for a ride. I did over 100 miles and hit a new high temp, 48 degrees, since I bought the bike the Monday before Turkey Day.
She now has 1000 miles on her and needs a bath. I plan to bring her to work over the weekend and give her a good cleaning.
Her first Christmas was fun.
Go to Top of Page

SteveS
Male Advanced Member
1208 Posts
[Mentor]

Toronto, Ontario
Canada

Harley-Davidson

2018 Tri-Gliide

Posted - 12/26/2008 :  11:26 AM
Just a note to wish each of you a safe and happy Christmas. No way to ride in Toronto as city streets are covered with salt and ice and slippery streetcar tracks, but, like others I did give her a pat on the "head" as I headed off to the airport for a ride to ice and snow in Seattle. A lot like home except more sea food, hills and my son lives here.

Seasons greetings to all and for those of you who can ride. Go for it!

Steve
Go to Top of Page

VodkaAndPickles
Male Advanced Member
589 Posts

Langhorne, PA
USA

Suzuki

Intruder 1500 LC

Posted - 12/26/2008 :  8:01 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Night Train

quote:
Originally posted by VodkaAndPickles

You might consider using BBQ paint on the exhaust. It withstands the heat much better and you may find you will be repainting it less. When you go to the chrome exhaust lots of wax as well as regular cleaning will keep the rust away. In any event I envy the fact that you were able to get out and ride. A slushy white Christmas here with falling temperatures and chilling winds.

Thanks for the tip. I think the Rustoleum I got is BBQ paint.

Yeah, the weather on Christmas here was beautiful. Really warm.
Go to Top of Page

Cash Anthony
Female Administrator
1469 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, Texas
USA

Honda

Magna 750

Posted - 12/31/2008 :  11:12 PM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Happy New Year to all! And to all a safe ride, especially if you're getting out on the roads on the holiday weekend.

We took the bikes out from under the covers today, tried to start them, but didn't succeed in getting any miles covered: the batteries are both very weak from no riding at all since June, even with the occasional start to juice them up.

Still, after all these months of waiting to get back to riding, it was exciting to get into the gear, see if the helmet is still fitting as tight (it's practically unused so far, so the answer is 'yes'), and to see how much strength I have in my hands by now.

The answer to that last question is "noticeably less than I want," but I'll keep trying to build up my grip again. Jim will have to get a new battery for the Wing, it seems, so we won't be riding tomorrow -- it's likely to be rainy anyway -- but some time soon in the New Year, we'll give it a go again.

Here's wishing a safe and prosperous and healthy 2009 to all.

Cash
Go to Top of Page

(Deleted or Lost)

Posted - 01/01/2009 :  12:17 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Cash Anthony
We took the bikes out from under the covers today, tried to start them, but didn't succeed in getting any miles covered: the batteries are both very weak from no riding at all since June, even with the occasional start to juice them up.

Deltran Battery Tender Jr. from Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CITK8S
will keep your battery in good condition for only $24.04
Go to Top of Page

Cash Anthony
Female Administrator
1469 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, Texas
USA

Honda

Magna 750

Posted - 01/01/2009 :  5:35 PM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Would you believe I've *had* a battery tender sitting in my garage for several years without even trying it? (But thanks for the link.)

Tsk. Well, Jim tried it on my bike yesterday and it worked fine...but it's too late for the Wing's battery, and he'll have to get a new one.

They don't hold up very long in this hot climate anyway.

Cash
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6925 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 1090 Adv R

Posted - 01/01/2009 :  6:08 PM
While you people are keeping this topic alive, I need to report a great New Year's Day ride today. A friend of mine just purchased a BMW K1200R and wanted to put a few miles on it, so we did a 125 mile loop through the hills. I really enjoyed riding the XR650L through the hills. The occasional gravel patches and damp sections weren't nearly as much of a bother as they would be on my Ducati.

I think under-powered bikes are under-rated. The only time power was an issue was merging onto I-5 and trying to merge smoothly with the 80 mph traffic. That part would have been way easier on my Ducati. At least the XR650L can get up to that speed - barely.

Weather was a mix of sunshine and fog, more sunshine than fog. I love living in Northern California.
Go to Top of Page
rioguy
Ex-Member

Posted - 01/01/2009 :  7:36 PM
quote:
Originally posted by scottrnelson

While you people are keeping this topic alive, I need to report a great New Year's Day ride today. A friend of mine just purchased a BMW K1200R and wanted to put a few miles on it, so we did a 125 mile loop through the hills. I really enjoyed riding the XR650L through the hills. The occasional gravel patches and damp sections weren't nearly as much of a bother as they would be on my Ducati.

I think under-powered bikes are under-rated. The only time power was an issue was merging onto I-5 and trying to merge smoothly with the 80 mph traffic. That part would have been way easier on my Ducati. At least the XR650L can get up to that speed - barely.

Weather was a mix of sunshine and fog, more sunshine than fog. I love living in Northern California.

Personally, I think the smallest bike that will do the job is the most fun. There is a lot of peer pressure to "move up." Personally, I don't see a need to go above about 650 cc unless it's for riding 2 up or something.
Go to Top of Page
Niebor
Ex-Member

Posted - 01/01/2009 :  8:18 PM
We also managed a pretty good ride today. Rioguy posted of it elsewhere.

LOL, He's not getting any "peer pressure" from me to move up. That scooter is a runner! We have occasion, merging into traffic and such, where opening things up a bit is appropriate. The Burgman accelerates to merge speeds quickly and handles steep mountain grades with ease. If my Harley can outrun it in any category, it would only be well beyond prudent riding speeds.

Our ride today ride wraps up my hat trick, riding on Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years. I'm pleased, we usually get snowed out of one or more. The mountains have been getting pummeled. The plains east of the divide, although a bit windy, have been very rideable all winter, so far.

So, we have plenty of snow, and the temps are normal for this time of year. It doesn't appear to be "global warming". Must be the snow-blower I bought a couple years back.
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6925 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 1090 Adv R

Posted - 12/25/2010 :  1:44 PM
I was tempted to do the Christmas Day ride on Christmas Eve because it was a beautiful sunny day yesterday with rain predicted today. But I held off and after fixing breakfast this morning for my wife and daughter and opening the gifts, it was okay with them for me to leave for a couple of hours.

The temperature according to my digital thermometer (that was a Christmas gift from my son a few years ago) said mid-40's on the temperature, but it was colder in the hills. I wore my warmest riding gear and was quite comfortable except that my chin felt cold for a while, reminding me that I forgot my Buff to cover up that one tiny bit of exposed skin. The roads through the local hills were mostly clear with some damp patches and a few leaves here and there. Traffic was light, as expected. It was noticeably warmer ten miles south of here and I could feel it cooling off more while coming back as I got closer to home. A few tiny drops accumulated on the bike as it was parked in my driveway after the ride, before I put it away. It's raining now, so my timing was good.

I rode about 60 miles total and enjoyed every minute of it. This is one Christmas tradition that I intend to keep.

Merry Christmas to all of you.

This is me on my way, photographed by my daughter:
Go to Top of Page

SuperRookie
Male Standard Member
116 Posts

Brooklyn, New York
USA

Ducati

'04 M620ie

Posted - 12/25/2010 :  5:22 PM
Merry Christmas to all. I may have jumped the gun and put my bike away a few weeks too early. I think the avg temp was about 40 but now we're down in the 20s on an everyday basis. Although there are a few intrepid souls on the road, we're expecting 6-12" of snow tomorrow night into Monday. The End.
Go to Top of Page

bachman1961
Male Advanced Member
2268 Posts
[Mentor]

colorado springs, co
USA

Honda

CB750 NightHawk

Posted - 12/26/2010 :  1:12 AM

Scott;

Sounds like a nice day for the ride and with little traffic. Your description reminds me of how typical those temperatures are for Colorado 'mild to warm' winter days and ride options where it often warms to the 40's by mid day.
Aside from the high country where things get dicey fast (although warnings are usually well in advance), the eastern prairie offers many miles of choice. The side of 'the hill' I live on is off the seasonal norm for snow by over a foot at this point in the year.
Anyone too spoiled by twisties or bored by miles of flat terrain and sometimes, unequaled visibility might gripe but riding all year and not having to hibernate the bike is enough of an upside for me. I did get a bit inspired by the holiday food and too light on sleep so I chose to skip the Honda tonight and drive the cage.

However, your post inspired me to go visit the trip reports again... nothing like photos and stories to whet the two-wheeled appetite and redirect my discipline.

~brian
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.64 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05