(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3452 positive of 3834 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 General Discussion
 The annual Christmas Day ride
Previous Page
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

burhop.j
Male Junior Member
47 Posts

Metuchen, NJ
USA

Kawasaki

KLR 650

Posted - 12/28/2010 :  5:20 PM
Managed to take the bike out on Christmas day to test out the new presents Santa left me(and the bike) under the tree . I have to say I am quite happy to have a new 4 season 3/4 jacket that's quite warm instead of the summer mesh jacket. (Riding in 25-30~ degrees F with a summer jacket does not work, even with 2 fleeces and thermals). Best of all I managed to get some riding in before salt and snow started hitting the streets. 2 ft of snow w/ 4+ft snow drifts on the day/night after Christmas. Sigh.
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6917 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 1090 Adv R

Posted - 12/25/2013 :  6:32 PM
For many years now, I've tried to get out for a short ride on Christmas Day after we're done with all of the family activities. Sometimes I've done it in the morning, but usually in the afternoon. If it's dry, it is usually optimal riding condition, with no bugs, very little traffic, and not usually cold enough that traction is an issue. The temperature was in the 60's this year, which was perfect.

Last year I was 200 miles away at my daughter's house and I think it rained the year before, so it's been a while.

Before I could head out this morning, my daughter expressed interest in going out for a ride in the hills. But my wife wanted to go too, so that ruled out the motorcycle. We took the Mustang convertible, drove many miles with the top down, and verified that just about every restaurant is closed on Christmas Day. We finally settled on IHOP, because apparently they never close.

For sure, that drive ruled out the road I probably would have taken on the motorcycle, because that's where we went in the car. But there are lots of other choices around here, so I decided to go ride my favorite short (40 miles) ride that includes a few miles of dirt road.

This time of year, when the sun is always low in the sky, you have to be careful to not be heading right into the sun. That means that south is okay, but west is not desirable, especially later on. So I rode the 15 miles south out to the dirt part, headed east for 8 miles on the dirt, and had planned to just head back from there. But there was an interesting road right there that I don't remember riding, heading east, so I just had to try it out. The road was wonderful.

The issue, though, was that I wasn't sure if it came out at the freeway, and it was getting late enough that I really didn't want to have to come back on that road looking into the sun. It was another 8 miles until I came to the other end, right on Highway 50 where I wanted to be. I spent some time along the route wondering where it was going to come out, but eventually there started to be more houses and I was certain that in a place with that many people, they wouldn't be taking the small road I was riding up to go to work in the morning.

I don't normally like freeways, but when I have to head directly into the sun, they're the best type of road to be on. I just kind of leaned forward and used the top of my helmet to block the sun which would otherwise be in my eyes.

Once again I was marveling at how well the big KTM works on twisty road, on dirt roads, and on freeways. I especially like how well the Heidenau K60 tires do on all of those surfaces. I got in a rut on the dirt road and was able to climb right up the side of it and out without slowing down. I couldn't have done that with the previous tires I had on that bike.

Merry Christmas to all of you. I enjoyed this one.
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6917 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 1090 Adv R

Posted - 12/25/2017 :  2:51 PM
Looks like I've skipped reporting for a few years. Didn't do a Christmas ride last year because I was somewhere way too cold and snowy.

I filled up both bikes on Saturday and waited until today the pick which one to ride. I picked the quieter of the two. The ride was just one lap around the edges of the town I live in - Pleasanton. Unlike most other towns, there are very few neighborhoods here where you can go in one side and come out the other. That does a good job of keeping traffic out of the residential areas, but makes it much harder to get to the edges without a lot of backtracking. I mainly explored the neighborhoods on the other side of town from where I live.

I spent about an hour riding and went less than 30 miles. A nice mellow ride. Temperature was in the upper 50's.

This photo is right before turning around to come back out of one of the far away neighborhoods.

Merry Christmas to all!
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6917 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 1090 Adv R

Posted - 12/25/2018 :  2:47 PM
Thought I would have to give this up after moving to Idaho, but the temperature got up to 40 today, the roads were clear and mostly dry, so I went out for half an hour or so.

Gotta keep up the Christmas traditions!

Merry Christmas, all of you.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05