(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3458 positive of 3841 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Polls
 What Size?
Next Page
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

dalemllns
Male New Member
17 Posts

scottsboro, alabama
USA

Honda

shadow

Posted - 03/07/2007 :  5:37 PM   DetailDetail                        Like
Poll Question:
How many CC's was your first Bike? And give some input for guys who are thinking of buying a bike can go from.

Results:
125   [19%] 7 votes 
200-250   [8%] 3 votes 
300-350   [5%] 2 votes 
400-500   [8%] 3 votes 
600-800   [38%] 14 votes 
1000- and above   [22%] 8 votes 
= Guests (9 votes)

Poll Status: Closed  »»   Total Votes: 37 counted  »»   Last Vote: 03/14/2007 3:30 PM 

dalemllns
Male New Member
17 Posts

scottsboro, alabama
USA

Honda

shadow

Posted - 03/07/2007 :  5:39 PM
quote:
Originally posted by dalemllns

How many CC's was your first Bike? And give some input for guys who are thinking of buying a bike can go from.

I started with a 750 Honda. Not a large bike but not really a small one either. It felt good when I set on it and I had to have it.
Go to Top of Page

sixsigma
Male Advanced Member
801 Posts

Toronto, Ontario
Canada

Suzuki

Marauder vz 805

Posted - 03/07/2007 :  6:21 PM
I started with a then "mid sized 500 yamaha cruiser" felt good but light on the highway
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6954 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 03/07/2007 :  6:36 PM
Your choices don't go small enough. My first bike was a 100cc Kawasaki. It was slightly faster than a bicycle. But I accidentally discovered dirt riding with it, so it was a good bike to start on.
Go to Top of Page

Baggsy
Male Advanced Member
728 Posts
[Mentor]

Ottawa, Ontario
Canada

Suzuki

09 Wee

Posted - 03/07/2007 :  7:09 PM
It was an '82 Kawasaki KZ250 LTD for me.

It had a decent acceleration. A top speed of about 110 k/h ~ 65 mph and weighed in at a little over 300 lbs.

It would fit into the back of my dad's minivan, and insurance was under $250 per year.

Since it was so inexpensive and small I wasn't afraid to lean it way over.

It was a perfect starter bike.
Go to Top of Page

Thom Thumb
Advanced Member
1595 Posts
[Mentor]

Jordan, MN
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster XL883

Posted - 03/07/2007 :  8:36 PM
I'm kind of in the gap between the first two choices. I started on a Honda CB175. It was cheap, simple, reliable, cheap, easy to maintain, had a very comprehensive owner's manual, had enough power for highway riding, was light, and handled predictably. Did I mention it was cheap?

That bike never punished me for any mistakes I made. It was easy to pick up if I goofed in parking lot practice. It ran like a Swiss watch (probably sounded like one too). Got something like 100 MPG. Of course, I wanted MORE.

TT
Go to Top of Page

Marke Lane
Male Starting Member
3 Posts

Kansas City, MO
USA

Honda

97 GL1500

Posted - 03/07/2007 :  8:45 PM
Mine was a used Honda 1972(?) CB350. (34 years ago? Hurts to think that far back.)

A bit lacking in HP, which was good. Probably keep me out of some trouble I wasn't ready for. Javascript:insertsmilie('')

Remember my first long trip with it, Iowa to Colorado. Hit a nasty headwind in Nebraska. Wide open in forth gear and just making 45 mph.

As to what to get as a first bike? I get that question frequently in my BRC classes. Three things I tell them to consider: The bike has to fit your body. (If it hurts to ride it you won’t.) Think hard about buying a used bike. (Doesn’t hurt as much when you drop it the first time – and you will drop it! Also allows you to trade up without loosing much investment.) And last, size matters. I suggest staying in the 600 to 900 cc range. It’s powerful enough to ride the highway but small enough so they can focus on improving their skills without being afraid of the bike.

The comments are just in general. Each student is different.

My brother–in-law went from a 250 Rebel to a GL1100 in two months.Javascript:insertsmilie('')
Go to Top of Page

harleygal
Female New Member
16 Posts

Lunenburg, NS
Canada

Harley-Davidson

2006 Dyna Low Rider

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  5:25 AM
Hey, I started on a Honda Z50 at age 9. My first on road bike was a Honda XL 125, then I went up from there: Harley 883C and now Harley Dyna 1450. Fun isn't.

Go to Top of Page

Thom Thumb
Advanced Member
1595 Posts
[Mentor]

Jordan, MN
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster XL883

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  7:56 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Marke Lane

Mine was a used Honda 1972(?) CB350. . .my first long trip with it, Iowa to Colorado. Hit a nasty headwind in Nebraska. Wide open in FOURTH gear and just making 45 mph.

Marke, didn't the CB350 have a five speed transmission? Must've been a heck of a headwind - did you see Dorothy and Toto blowing by?

My CB175 wasn't much, but it would do a legitimate 75 MPH. Are you like me - wishing you still had that first bike?

TT
Go to Top of Page
Niebor
Ex-Member

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  9:26 AM
Interesting! I also took the smallest option, as my first ride, and for years, owned was a Honda Trail 90. The Cushmans were all worn out by the time I was old enough to care about riding.
Go to Top of Page

nomad dan
Advanced Member
1276 Posts

Denver, Colorado
USA

Kawasaki

06 Vulcan Nomad 1600

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  11:15 AM
Thinking you meant, what size bike was your first street bike, I voted with what my first street bike was.

Most of us that rode dirt bikes before riding on the street had much smaller dirt bikes than our first street bike.
Go to Top of Page

dalemllns
Male New Member
17 Posts

scottsboro, alabama
USA

Honda

shadow

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  11:55 AM
quote:
Originally posted by nomad dan

Thinking you meant, what size bike was your first street bike, I voted with what my first street bike was.

Most of us that rode dirt bikes before riding on the street had much smaller dirt bikes than our first street bike.

Sorry I wasn't Clearer about that. Yeah I mean the first street bike. The one you have the most memories of. I have told some friends who are thinking of getting their first bike to come here. They're alot of good things to be learned here of safety and techniques. And just general knowledge. So if the majority of guys who are still riding today started on a Honda rebel I'm gonna recomend something of that size.... Thanks guys (and Gals).
Go to Top of Page

WarHawk
Male Advanced Member
1796 Posts

Baytown, Texas
USA

Yamaha

'07 V-Star Custom

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  2:10 PM
I brought an old '82 Honda Silverwing back to life, it was a 496cc, it ran AWESOME once I got the carbs and the tank cleaned up

Even had more than enough power to push me (250+lbs) and my wife (130+lbs shhh..dont tell her I told) down the freeway at 70MPH all day long without a problem
Go to Top of Page

fnotneyrod
Male Junior Member
34 Posts

Cornish, ME
USA

Honda

96 Goldwing sidecar

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  2:33 PM
My first street bike was a 1971 Norton 750 Commando. Black with gold lettering on the tank.

When I got it, in '74, it had 6 inch over forks and a bobbed rear fender and it sat so high they had to straighten out the side stand, so IT would touch the ground, before the tank. I replaced the forks and fender, and set the rest of the bike back to stock; made it handle like a totally different machine

People complain about Brit bikes, but that Norton never left me stranded, and I rode it about 500 miles a week.

Wish I still had it.
Go to Top of Page

kazen
Male Junior Member
31 Posts

Layton, UT
USA

Kawasaki

Vulcan 900 Classic

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  3:33 PM
My first bike is also my current, a Vulcan 900 Classic (which is missing from the list of choices so I picked the 800cc choice).
Go to Top of Page

Marke Lane
Male Starting Member
3 Posts

Kansas City, MO
USA

Honda

97 GL1500

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  6:17 PM
Thom: Yes, it was a five speed. It was a really nasty headwind. Still, that CB350 didn't seem to have much power to spare anyway.

Do I still wish I had it?

While I do think about once in a while, it's in a thankful way. Thankful that the Wing is sooooo much nicer.

But the 350 did teach me about motorcycle mechanics. I could remove the engine, do a top end overhaul, and put it back in four hours. (Did it many times to fix the cam chain tensioner.) Can’t do that with the Wing!
Go to Top of Page

dalemllns
Male New Member
17 Posts

scottsboro, alabama
USA

Honda

shadow

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  2:45 PM
Well so far the majority of guys are like me. From 600-900 ( sorry that wasn't there friend) and a few guys over a 1000 CC's. Its intresting to know this because I guessed it would be more smaller bikes than larger ones. Thanks for answering this poll guys. And check out the article about trucks and trailers as this is a very important caution we should all be aware of... Be safe All
Go to Top of Page

debodezine
18 Posts

Sterling, Co
USA

Kawasaki

900 Vulcan Classic

Posted - 03/10/2007 :  11:29 PM
the first bike I had was a 1982 yamaha 185 exciter when I was 16 then when I turned 20 I got a 1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 then I went to a 750 Vulcan in 92 got rid of it in 93 and didnt have another one till about 3 weeks ago when I bought a 2006 Kawasaki 900 classic LT which I love and plan on keeping for about a year then trading in and getting a 1500 or so
Go to Top of Page

ricstir
Male Starting Member
1 Posts

Fort Worth, Texas
USA

Honda

Vtx !800 Retro

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  8:59 AM
"It felt good when I set on it and I had to have it"

thats how my wife felt when she met me..hehe

Suzuki 750 here

Go to Top of Page

changvoll
Male Junior Member
33 Posts

Boise, Idaho
USA

Kawasaki

KLR650

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  9:46 AM
My first bike is a Kawasaki KLR650. When I purchased the bike (a whole month ago) I wanted something relatively light, but with enough cc's that I could hit the highway when ready.
Go to Top of Page

LoganS2k7
Male Starting Member
5 Posts

bassett, virginia
USA

Kawasaki

Ninja ZX-6R

Posted - 07/10/2007 :  4:46 PM
my first bike is a ninja zx6r its a 599cc bike. its light and its pretty quick, i love it.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.68 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05