(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3458 positive of 3841 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Polls
 Helmet brand preference
Next Page
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

howard.v
Male Senior Member
406 Posts

North Bend, OR
USA

Honda

2004 VT750 Aero

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  7:38 PM   DetailDetail                        Like
Poll Question:
Which Brand do you prefer?
Please post with Specific model and why.
I have included the brands I am familiar with. If you wear one not mentioned, tell us why you chose it.

Results:
AFX   [2%] 1 votes 
AGV   [0%] 0 votes 
Arai   [8%] 5 votes 
G-Max   [2%] 1 votes 
HJC   [44%] 27 votes 
Shoei   [21%] 13 votes 
Nolan   [7%] 4 votes 
KBC   [2%] 1 votes 
THH   [0%] 0 votes 
Vega   [5%] 3 votes 
Other   [10%] 6 votes 
= Guests (24 votes)

Poll Status: Closed  »»   Total Votes: 61 counted  »»   Last Vote: 04/29/2007 8:24 AM 

howard.v
Male Senior Member
406 Posts

North Bend, OR
USA

Honda

2004 VT750 Aero

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  7:44 PM
I have a G-Max flip up in 3xl and a Vega Datana in 5xl. I got the G-Max first and it was fine, but not really fit like I wanted it to. I then found the Vega Datana that came in 5xl size and when I got it, it fit great. Two years later, it is loose and Vega quit making the Datana. I should have gotten a 4xl instead. Just trying to find a good replacement.
Go to Top of Page

bchecket
Male Junior Member
63 Posts

Stallings, NC
USA

Triumph

Bonneville T100

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  7:52 PM
I got the Shoei rf1000. Good safety record, lots of good recommendations from other riders and fit. The fit was an important thing. I was a competitive cyclist for a number of years and buying a helmet with the right fit was like a search for the holy grail. Turns out it was exactly the same with motorcycle. Certain brands just seem to have a more secure and comfortable fit for my particular head and that's what turned out to be the case with the Shoei. I've especially enjoyed the various vents too these last few days here in Charlotte when the weather warmed up faster than most of us expected.

-bj checket

Go to Top of Page

chord97bmw
Male Standard Member
236 Posts

Kanawha Valley, WV
USA

BMW

R1150R

Peer Review: Blocked

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  8:32 PM
I have 3 HJCs and often have praised the value they provide.

They are fine EXCEPT that the mechanism for changing the face shield is made very weak...rubbery plastic that easily deforms.

If you get a HJC just don't change the face shields.
Go to Top of Page

jimbo
Male Junior Member
27 Posts

Monticello, MN
USA

Kawasaki

ZZR 1200

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  8:44 PM
I ended up buying an arai profile model helmet. The oval type shape of the profile just seemed to be a good fit. And, after 300 miles with it this spring, it has proven to be a good choice for me; quite comfortable. I spent money based on safety and comfort, an uncomfy helmet can be quite a distraction. Just my experience, I know there are MANY quality lids out there.
Until Later - 'oval head' jimbo (size XL-just enough brains to know better)
Go to Top of Page

Baggsy
Male Advanced Member
728 Posts
[Mentor]

Ottawa, Ontario
Canada

Suzuki

09 Wee

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  8:47 PM
I bought an inexpensive CKX full face Iat the bike show for the beginner's course.
I wasn't sure at the time if I would enjoy riding a motorcycle.
It was Snell 2000 rated and fit well, but was a pain to get my glasses on and off.

After that I tried a HJC CL-Max Modular and it works much better with the glasses.

I've also got a smaller CL15 for a passenger.

I can't see spending several hundred dollars on a helmet that I'm supposed to toss in five years.

Go to Top of Page

alton
Male Standard Member
232 Posts

Sarasota, FL
USA

Kawasaki

2018 Versys 650

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  9:15 PM
I wear an HJC full face job, not sure of model and too lazy to go look right now. Anyway, I looked at and tried on several others but HJC was the only one that really fit my head correctly and their prices are pretty reasonable.
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6954 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  9:24 PM
I really like Shoei helmets.

I had two Arai helmets before I bought a Shoei. They didn't fit quite right and the face shields were always a pain in the rear to deal with.

After I bought my first Ducati, I wanted to get a matching helmet. The Shoei RF-700 fit the best, so that's what I bought. I really enjoyed it. After a few years, it started to get worn, so I bought a new one, which had evolved to the RF-800 by that point. That's the one that protected me when I crashed in 2003.

After that I needed another helmet, so I bought an RF-1000. It had a slightly different shaped shield, so I couldn't use any old ones, but that is a very minor point. The shields last for years without scratching and are easier to swap than any other helmet made.

I'm definitely a Shoei helmet fan and wouldn't even consider another brand if I can get the color and style I want from them.

I did buy a motocross helmet that was HJC, though, because it met my needs for dirt riding.
Go to Top of Page

ColoRexer
Male Advanced Member
616 Posts
[Mentor]

Castle Rock, CO
USA

Kawasaki

ZX14

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  9:59 PM
Another Shoei RF-1000 here. I ended up spending more on it than I had wanted to at the time, but I'm glad I did. After breaking in, it is comfortable enough that I hardly notice wearing it. The venting and aerodynamic features seem to be a good match for my nekkid bike.
Go to Top of Page

ed3173
Male Junior Member
55 Posts

Oxnard, Ca
USA

Harley-Davidson

Street bob

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  10:35 PM
I have a KBC TK-1100. It was the first helmet I bought, but not the first I looked at. I like that it is a 3/4 face, and after it broke in, it fit perfectly (uncomfortable at first, but now wears like a glove). The price wasn't bad either, about $100 if I remember it correctly.

This brings up a good point, I would like a (light) brown, 3/4 face helmet to match my new bike. Any suggestions?
Go to Top of Page

Axeman1958
Male Senior Member
276 Posts

Hempstead, NY
USA

Harley-Davidson

Electra Glide U.C.

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  11:19 PM
I wear the HJC AC Series Sy-Max. I've found it to be very comfortable and of better than average quality. It also has the pockets/velcro built into the helmet for Chatterbox headsets (Chatterbox is their sister company).

The flip-up seems to be a bit sturdier than on other models. I tried on the Nolans and KBC and there was no comparison. Is it as good as a Shoei? No but, it doesn't cost $450, either.
Go to Top of Page

WarHawk
Male Advanced Member
1796 Posts

Baytown, Texas
USA

Yamaha

'07 V-Star Custom

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  10:29 AM
I have this
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...1&Division=1

Scorpion EXO-400 Warhawk Helmet

Decent budget priced helmet that fits me perfectly!

You can see it on the sissy bar on my bike in my avatar picture
Yah I look kinda goofy riding a "Hardly" cruiser style bike, but I'm fugly and dont need to be FUBAR. My old Helmet saved my face in my t-bone incident!

Edited by - WarHawk on 03/29/2007 10:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

howard.v
Male Senior Member
406 Posts

North Bend, OR
USA

Honda

2004 VT750 Aero

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  3:26 PM
I tried the largest HJC makes which is an xxxl. It didn't fit. Excessive pressure on the forehead. Salesman tried to convince me that it was ok to shave some foam off that area so it would fit. I said "I don't think so" and walked out.

I found a Shoei RF-1000 at another shop in xxxl. The cheek pads are really tight, but the rest of the helmet fits like a glove. No pressure points, it doesn't move around on my head, and from what I have read, the cheek pads will adjust or not seem so tight after you have worn it for a while. I'm liking this one.

Arai and Nolan are right out. Doesn't seem that they make very large helmets. Make them for little headed people.

I know now that Vega replaced the Datana with the Altura and do offer them in sizes up to 5xl, but the shop would not order one just to let me try it on. I would have had to prepay for it, then if it didn't fit like I wanted, they were going to charge me a 10% return fee. I didn't order one.

I wish my head were not so large
Go to Top of Page

kazen
Male Junior Member
31 Posts

Layton, UT
USA

Kawasaki

Vulcan 900 Classic

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  3:57 PM
I have an HJC CL-15. I bought this particular one because it was the best helmet I could afford that didn't make my head feel like it was going to pop. My problem was/is most helmets are too short front to back and too wide side to side. I did try on a Shoei that probably would have been a better fit for me, but I couldn't afford a nearly $400 lid at the time.
Go to Top of Page

ColoRexer
Male Advanced Member
616 Posts
[Mentor]

Castle Rock, CO
USA

Kawasaki

ZX14

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  4:37 PM
quote:
Originally posted by howard.v

I found a Shoei RF-1000 at another shop in xxxl. The cheek pads are really tight, but the rest of the helmet fits like a glove. No pressure points, it doesn't move around on my head, and from what I have read, the cheek pads will adjust or not seem so tight after you have worn it for a while. I'm liking this one.

The cheek pads will definitely break in somewhat. At first I thought I was going to have to order a smaller-sized set of replacement pads, but after several days of use it fits perfect now.

If at long last they are still too tight, you can replace the pads with a lesser thickness. which is nice.
Go to Top of Page

shadowrider
Male Advanced Member
602 Posts
[Mentor]

Phoenix, Arizona
USA

Harley-Davidson

FLT Tour Glide

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  6:56 PM
HJC for me!
Go to Top of Page

kiddal
Male Advanced Member
1561 Posts
[Mentor]

SE, Indiana
USA

Kawasaki

KLR650

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  9:33 PM
I have a KBC and a Simpson. I have also had Bell and Simpson helmets in the past. Of the three, I love the fit of the Simpsons.

Simpson sells mostly auto racing helmets but they sell a couple models of M2000-certified helmets. The one I have, Voyager, used to be sold both as a racing helmet (SA2000) and a M2000 version. I just checked and it looks like they only sell it as an SA2000 version now (which adds $100 worth of Nomex). I like the shield, which is probably twice as thick as the KBC shield, to pass the SA2000 penetration test.
Go to Top of Page

howard.v
Male Senior Member
406 Posts

North Bend, OR
USA

Honda

2004 VT750 Aero

Posted - 03/31/2007 :  10:03 AM
One bonus for me. Vega got back to me via email and they still have a 4xl liner for my Datana. I am going to order one. I also bought the Shoei RF-1000 in 3xl black. So I will have two helmets that fit right.
Go to Top of Page
Niebor
Ex-Member

Posted - 03/31/2007 :  10:41 AM
quote:
Originally posted by chord97bmw

I have 3 HJCs and often have praised the value they provide.

They are fine EXCEPT that the mechanism for changing the face shield is made very weak...rubbery plastic that easily deforms.

If you get a HJC just don't change the face shields.

I currently ride with the HJC Symax, but chose "Other". This, because i'm not satisfied with the quality of the Symax. After only a couple months of use, the gear system in the flip is failing, and replacement parts are proving rather challenging to locate.
Go to Top of Page

BH2006
Standard Member
166 Posts

Ypsilanti, Michigan
USA

Boss Hoss

BHC-3 502

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  12:07 PM
Have an HJC, but received a 'Shell' brand helmet thru a promo, and it fits pretty well, is DOT approved, and was free, so I've been trying that one out!
Go to Top of Page

jimvw57
21 Posts

Red Wing, MN
USA

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  5:09 PM
I had a G-Max which I really liked a lot. After going down, (it saved my head for sure) I got a modular from JC Whitney. It doesn't fit as well and I will be going back to G-Max. maybe try a HJC?? I do like the modular ones for glasses issues.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.95 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05