(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3447 positive of 3829 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Polls
 Helmet, how often?
Next Page
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

nomad dan
Advanced Member
1276 Posts

Denver, Colorado
USA

Kawasaki

06 Vulcan Nomad 1600
Peer Review: Blocked

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  6:24 PM   DetailDetail                        Like
Poll Question:
How often do you wear your helmet when you ride? The Truth

Let’s make this for the last year in case your habits have changed.

Results:
100% of the time. I never ride with out it, not even once.   [74%] 69 votes 
90. I almost always do.   [19%] 18 votes 
70%. Most of the time I do.   [1%] 1 votes 
50% It just depends on the day or the ride.   [1%] 1 votes 
30% Sometimes I do, but not usually.   [2%] 2 votes 
10% or less. It's just not my thing.   [1%] 1 votes 
100% But it is because I live in a helmet law state and I have to, otherwise it would be less.   [1%] 1 votes 
= Guests (31 votes)

Poll Status: Closed  »»   Total Votes: 93 counted  »»   Last Vote: 05/26/2007 6:38 PM 

Jerry Godell
Male Senior Member
441 Posts

Kansas City, kansas
USA

Harley-Davidson

FXD SuperGlide

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  7:31 PM
My vote was 100%.
I live in an helmet optional state.
Go to Top of Page

Thom Thumb
Advanced Member
1594 Posts
[Mentor]

Jordan, MN
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster XL883

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  8:22 PM
On one occasion about 5 years ago I tried riding without my helmet. I was on a dirt road in the middle of an Iowa corn field, with absolutely no traffic around. But the wind on my eyes was so uncomfortable that I put the helmet back on after perhaps 10 minutes.

TT
Go to Top of Page

seattlenighthawkrider
Male Junior Member
59 Posts

seattle, wa
USA

Honda

86 VF500 Interceptor

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  11:27 PM
I wear mine even testing my bike down the block and back after adjustments...it's those moments where we say we're just gonna go around the block, no need for a helmet....that could preclude the violent trauma of a head injury.

100% for me

ATGATT, a block...one house down...down the hill to the mailbox....just to the corner store...across town on a slow sunday...doesn't matter when, where, or how far. Stupid people are everwhere, obstacles and dangers are everywhere,they REALLY don't see you, and yes they ALL ARE out to get you!!!
Go to Top of Page

warhog78
Male Junior Member
78 Posts

Kenosha, Wisconsin
USA

Harley-Davidson

2006 XL1200C

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  12:24 AM
Even if I'm only going 5 blocks down the road for gas; helmet, jacket, gloves, kevlar jeans, and boots... NO EXCEPTIONS, EVER.
Go to Top of Page

SteveS
Male Advanced Member
1208 Posts
[Mentor]

Toronto, Ontario
Canada

Harley-Davidson

2018 Tri-Gliide

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  8:31 AM
It's the law here in Ontario. And like some others even just down the driveway or when I travel in a "helmet's optional" state I wear mine 100% of the time.

Not always true of chaps or leather pants, but always leather jacket, helmet, gloves, boots, jeans.
Go to Top of Page

jollyroger
Advanced Member
2157 Posts
[Mentor]

St. Charles, MO
USA

Harley-Davidson

Springer Classic

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  8:46 AM
quote:
Originally posted by fxstSteve

Not always true of chaps or leather pants, but always leather jacket, helmet, gloves, boots, jeans.

Me, too.
I started a habit when I first started riding, to hang my helmet over the brake pedal when it's parked. It's never gone anywhere else--not on a shelf, the seat, anywhere--just seems odd if it weren't there, so it'd be tough to use the brake with my helmet hanging over it..
Go to Top of Page

Baggsy
Male Advanced Member
721 Posts
[Mentor]

Ottawa, Ontario
Canada

Suzuki

09 Wee

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  11:05 AM
100%.

I've had three concussions while playing sports (rugby, football, hockey).

I was wearing a helmet for the football and hockey.

I don't need my brain shaken up any more.

Go to Top of Page

bchecket
Male Junior Member
63 Posts

Stallings, NC
USA

Triumph

Bonneville T100

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  4:16 PM
ATGATT...no exceptions for this newbie. And that even includes boots instead of sneakers for the odd trip to the gas station (1/3 mi.) and grocery store (1/4 mi.)
Go to Top of Page

WarHawk
Male Advanced Member
1796 Posts

Baytown, Texas
USA

Yamaha

'07 V-Star Custom

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  5:11 PM
99.98%

There was that one time I rode from the gas pump to the staging area at the gas station..it was like 30 feet away

Go to Top of Page

nomad dan
Advanced Member
1276 Posts

Denver, Colorado
USA

Kawasaki

06 Vulcan Nomad 1600

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  8:31 PM
So far I'm surprised, like most people I over estimate how many people are like me. Humans generally tend to think that they are in the majority, even when they are not.

I had assumed that by putting in the 100% that you had to do it every time, not miss even once in the past year, would wash a lot of people out who almost always ride with one, but still call it all of the time.

If people are being honest with their replies, and I have no reason to doubt it, then there are a lot more people who ride with one 100% of the time than I would have guessed.

Like most things, being 95% is sooo much easier than 100%.
Go to Top of Page

twc
Male Advanced Member
836 Posts
[Mentor]

Fort Collins, CO
USA

Harley-Davidson

Electra Glide Ultra

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  8:44 PM
quote:
Originally posted by nomad dan

...there are a lot more people who ride with one 100% of the time than I would have guessed.

It's heartening, but the mathematician in me just pointed out that this is a self-selected population that's not necessarily representative of the general motorcycling population.
Go to Top of Page

River
Male Advanced Member
506 Posts
[Mentor]

Chippewa Falls, WI
USA

Kawasaki

Concours

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  9:55 PM
I think that with a motorcycle it is easier to get into a habit that includes the safety gear- especially if you do your once-over check (tire pressure & so on). I check my tires, lights and put on my gear, even if I don't do anything else- so for me, at least, its just part of the routine.

I'd feel nekked (not the good way) w/o a helmet, and after getting pummeled by bugs & pebbles at highway speeds I don't even WANT to ride w/o one.
^o^
Go to Top of Page

nomad dan
Advanced Member
1276 Posts

Denver, Colorado
USA

Kawasaki

06 Vulcan Nomad 1600

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  11:36 PM
quote:
Originally posted by twc

quote:

...there are a lot more people who ride with one 100% of the time than I would have guessed.

It's heartening, but the mathematician in me just pointed out that this is a self-selected population that's not necessarily representative of the general motorcycling population.

Yup, I realize that this group is more safety conscious than a cross section of the motorcycling public would be. Otherwise we would be watching clips of stoppies etc on the net, not reading this

But even for our self-selected group, I thought that 90-99% would be a larger group than would be the I don’t go without it even once in the past year group.

There are only four others like me at this point in the voting. I thought that even in this group there would be many more.
Go to Top of Page

shadowrider
Male Advanced Member
602 Posts
[Mentor]

Phoenix, Arizona
USA

Harley-Davidson

FLT Tour Glide

Posted - 05/03/2007 :  8:44 AM
Even though it's not a requirement in AZ, traffic is crazy around Phoenix...I'd be crazy not to wear it.
Go to Top of Page

guywheatley
Male Junior Member
37 Posts

Texarkana, Texas
USA

Victory

2002 TC Deluxe

Posted - 05/03/2007 :  5:09 PM
Any time I'm on the road, I have the helmet on. The first weekend with the Magna, the wife and I were going for a ride. She was already on and I was backing out of the driveway. I just took a funny step and fell over. Speed 0. Still, when Sharon hit the pavement, we both heard the "crack." It left a heck of a mark on the helmet. Without it, she'd have been in the hosptial ... or worse.
I didn't say 100% because I frequently switch the bikes. One is on the back yard behind a fence, the other under cover in the drive way. When I swap them out, I don't always put on the helmet. I should though, and maybe having to "fess up," here will get me doing it.
Go to Top of Page

Texmjr
Starting Member
1 Posts

Plano, TX
USA

Honda

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  11:33 AM
I wear my helmet 100 percent of the time. I've seen too many pictures of what "could" happen without it.
Go to Top of Page

EZ-Rider
Male Starting Member
6 Posts

Erie, PA
USA

Yamaha

94 Virago 750

Posted - 05/21/2007 :  1:07 AM
although im still very much a newbie, i dont wear a helmet against concerns from friends and family, i just like the wind blowing thruogh my hair, makes me feel free like a bird, although i do have exceptions, i wont hit the highway without one.
Go to Top of Page

trafficdan
40 Posts

Pottstown, PA
USA

Harley-Davidson

2006 Sportster XL883

Posted - 05/21/2007 :  4:13 AM

How do people without helmets avoid wearing this?
Go to Top of Page

bridwell52
Male Senior Member
377 Posts

Pensacola, FL
USA

BMW

KGT

Posted - 05/21/2007 :  6:10 AM
100%
From Gas pump to staging area, 25ft I will put it on but wont buckle it.
Im like the picture above in that I dont understand how people ride without face sheilds. I have a full faring with tall sheild, face sheild on my helmet and wear glasses. I still get things in my eye every now and then.
Go to Top of Page

ColoRexer
Male Advanced Member
616 Posts
[Mentor]

Castle Rock, CO
USA

Kawasaki

ZX14

Posted - 05/21/2007 :  7:35 AM
quote:

If people are being honest with their replies, and I have no reason to doubt it, then there are a lot more people who ride with one 100% of the time than I would have guessed.

From my observations in the Denver area, I would guess about 20% helmet use, which is sad. This is definitely a biased group for such a survey.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.88 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05