(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3458 positive of 3841 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Polls
 After market pipes
Next Page
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Duane
Male Advanced Member
863 Posts
[Mentor]

Buffalo, New York
USA

Suzuki

Boulevard C90T

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  11:47 AM   DetailDetail                        Like
Poll Question:
Do you have after market pipes on your ride?

Results:
No, they annoy me and everyone else. They should be outlawed.   [13%] 13 votes 
No, they are not for me but others can have them if they like.   [25%] 24 votes 
No, but I will.   [15%] 15 votes 
Yes   [46%] 45 votes 
= Guests (40 votes)

Poll Status: Closed  »»   Total Votes: 97 counted  »»   Last Vote: 06/12/2007 6:24 AM 

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6954 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  12:28 PM
No, but I had them on a previous bike and my ST2 came with them but I replaced them with stock pipes. Then I "modified" the stock pipes a little to let a small amount of additional sound out, but not nearly as loud as nearly all aftermarket pipes I've heard on similar bikes. So the pipes look stock, but don't quite sound stock. You didn't have a choice for that. (And the other bike has totally stock pipes.)

And I'm surprised you didn't word the yes answer as "Yes, I like annoying people with my loud pipes". j/k

Some bike actually do sound better with aftermarket pipes on them, without being obnoxiously loud. A guy I ride with purchased a new KTM 950SM, and it sounds way better with aftermarket pipes. It didn't sound good at all with the stock ones.

However, I agree that there are too many bikes around with pipes that are too loud.
Go to Top of Page

Duane
Male Advanced Member
863 Posts
[Mentor]

Buffalo, New York
USA

Suzuki

Boulevard C90T

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  1:09 PM
quote:
Originally posted by scottrnelson

And I'm surprised you didn't word the yes answer as "Yes, I like annoying people with my loud pipes". j/k

I actually considered wording it that way but figured I wouldn't be a smart ass, this time. I was also going to word the first response as "no, they are satan spawn."

Duane
Go to Top of Page

Thom Thumb
Advanced Member
1595 Posts
[Mentor]

Jordan, MN
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster XL883

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  1:14 PM
Aftermarket pipes aren't necessarily louder than stock. They may be same. They may have a deeper sound, but the same volume (think "more bass"). They may be quieter than stock. Or they may be louder than the average Peterbuilt.

Which type to you think most people remember hearing?

TT
Go to Top of Page

fnotneyrod
Male Junior Member
34 Posts

Cornish, ME
USA

Honda

96 Goldwing sidecar

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  5:27 PM
I bought the bike used, and it already had a set of Vance & Hines slip ons installed. I think all of the used bikes in the show room had after market exhausts.
Go to Top of Page

Lone Wolf
Male Starting Member
7 Posts

Loxahatchee, Fl
USA

Kawasaki

1500 Vulcan Bobber

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  10:46 PM
My Kawi has V & H pipes on her and she sounds pretty darn good even to the ears some die hard Harley riders. The Dyna has Python 3's, the Sportster has a Thunder header, and the bagger has Samson side by side duals on one side.
Remember though that if you increase the exhaust flow out! You must increase the fuel and air flow in! A lean running bike runs hotter increasing the possibility of other damage. Don't forget to either re-jet the carb or add a Power Commander for those with fuel injection.
Luke
Go to Top of Page

ed3173
Male Junior Member
55 Posts

Oxnard, Ca
USA

Harley-Davidson

Street bob

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  12:37 AM
My Street Bob has the stock pipes on it, and it sounds just fine. However, as obsessive/compulsive as I am about my bike, I will change out the pipes, probably to Vance and Hines, but Screaming Eagles would sound/look good too. I just haven't figured out which way I want to go in regards to customizing my Harley. Decisions, decisions!
Go to Top of Page

WarHawk
Male Advanced Member
1796 Posts

Baytown, Texas
USA

Yamaha

'07 V-Star Custom

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  11:02 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Thom Thumb

Aftermarket pipes aren't necessarily louder than stock. They may be same. They may have a deeper sound, but the same volume (think "more bass"). They may be quieter than stock. Or they may be louder than the average Peterbuilt.

Which type to you think most people remember hearing?

TT

Thank you!!

I think perhaps a "POLL" should be put up asking how loud people think thier pipes are?

My stock '07 V-Star 650 pipes were about a 3-4, most stock Harley pipes run 5-6, w/ my new "V&H Cruizers" pipes my bike run about in the 5-6 range (a deep throaty sound), but if I get up on em I can easily get alot more sound out of em 7-8 (but only if I romp on em)

Cobra straight pipes usually run 8-9, those guys at the bike rallies that rattle the windows and you can feel the sound are the 10's

I wanted louder pipes (heck I just wanted to hear my bike running), not piss of the neighborhood pipes (mine are decent and dont set off those sensitive car alarms, unlike some of my buddies HOGS)

quote:
Originally posted by Lone Wolf

My Kawi has V & H pipes on her and she sounds pretty darn good even to the ears some die hard Harley riders. The Dyna has Python 3's, the Sportster has a Thunder header, and the bagger has Samson side by side duals on one side.
Remember though that if you increase the exhaust flow out! You must increase the fuel and air flow in! A lean running bike runs hotter increasing the possibility of other damage. Don't forget to either re-jet the carb or add a Power Commander for those with fuel injection.
Luke

Actually thats a mild myth...I did alot of research on it, changing the back pressure mildly changes the fuel air mixture, some people have put on slipons or open pipes and never rejetted, it just allows the exhaust to exit faster...now changing the INTAKE changes how the engine burns its fuel/air ratio and that more than likely will cause the bike to run much much hotter

Think of it as a welding torch..ah heck..let me find my writeup
Markster6828 from www.cyclespot.com said...
Well I don't disagree and heres why.

Adding pipes only doesn't do much but change the sound. The minute that you add a more free flowing A/C, you lean out the carb mix by simply adding more air. Very similar to the following torch pics.

When first lit, the torch puts out a yellow orange flame. Very rich I'd say from the black smut on the sheetmetal. <-- Stock pipes, stock exhaust (its why the bike fouls plugs)

open up the oxygen valve to the proper setting and you get a nice blue hot flame. (Jetted just right) <--where most bikes are running at

Now this is what could possibly happen by installing the free flow A/C without rejetting/reflashing. By pressing the cutting valve handle, you put even more oxygen into the mix, thus cutting thru the metal. <- new pipes, new exhaust

Think of your pistons as being the same as the sheetmetal. You won't get far with a hole in yer piston.

The highflow exhaust just lets the exhaust gas out easier (the fuel from the stock intake has already burned), putting in too oxygen rich fuel/air ratio will make the engine burn hotter, its just alot of people strongly RECOMMEND you rejet just to prevent pre-mature damage

With that said, in this day and age and all the R&D going into squeezing every ounce of power out of the engine the designers arent going to build a bike that runs like crap...however if you modify the stock exhaust you will NEVER get the performance you did, you will change sometimes very subtley the power band, sometimes drastically, however the way the engine runs is now forever changed

I sacrificed $500 bucks for a good sound and reduced HP and efficiency because on the dyno even with proper jetting the engine w/ reduced backpressure makes a little less HP than with the baffles...its a tradeoff performance/power/sound thats all it is.

Edited by - WarHawk on 05/12/2007 11:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

Shadow5
Male Junior Member
45 Posts

Burlington, VT
USA

Honda

Shadow 500

Posted - 05/13/2007 :  2:32 PM
I'm in between the most severe "no" and the less severe "no". I think that straight, race, and off road pipes should be outlawed for street use. If manufacturers had to discreetly install the name of their product on the pipes, it seems LEOs would be able to have a list of what product is a straight, race, or off road product. These product names would be portected like VIN numbers, so that if a bike was stopped and the product name was removed or altered, that would be punishable by itself.

I don't think that LEOs with $25 radio shack decibel meters should be able to ticket riders.

I love the sound, but not everyone does, and even I don't like it all the time.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

OB
Male Advanced Member
529 Posts

Houston, TX
USA

Buell

1125CR and others

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  9:42 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Duane

Do you have after market pipes on your ride?

I didn't do this survey since no answer is appropriate in my perspective. The Federal Government has muffler standards concerning the noise they can emit. The States have a problem with accurately measuring this on motorcycles registered in their State. My answer would be, Don't mind you changing your pipes just as long as you stay within the applicable Federal Standard noise regulations that apply to the year bike you have. In other words, probably 99+% of these pipes "would not cut the mustard" for acceptability in my opinion. You have no option for this opinion. Guess I fit somewhere between your first and second choices.
Go to Top of Page

BH2006
Standard Member
166 Posts

Ypsilanti, Michigan
USA

Boss Hoss

BHC-3 502

Posted - 06/01/2007 :  9:58 AM
I have 'em, use 'em, but don't abuse 'em!
Go to Top of Page

shadowrider
Male Advanced Member
602 Posts
[Mentor]

Phoenix, Arizona
USA

Harley-Davidson

FLT Tour Glide

Posted - 06/01/2007 :  11:11 AM
quote:
Originally posted by BH2006

I have 'em, use 'em, but don't abuse 'em!

Well put...just be responsible and courteous with them.
Go to Top of Page

ColoRexer
Male Advanced Member
616 Posts
[Mentor]

Castle Rock, CO
USA

Kawasaki

ZX14

Posted - 06/01/2007 :  12:00 PM
Yes, Muzzy stainless headers with a carbon fiber can.

Not really louder than stock, but good for a significant performance increase.

Quiet at lower rpms, maybe louder than stock above 5K. It's a good sound for sure....
Go to Top of Page

jollyroger
Advanced Member
2157 Posts
[Mentor]

St. Charles, MO
USA

Harley-Davidson

Springer Classic

Posted - 06/01/2007 :  1:31 PM
quote:
Originally posted by ColoRexer

Quiet at lower rpms, maybe louder than stock above 5K. It's a good sound for sure....

That's what all the apiculturists say...
Go to Top of Page

Sox Fan
Male Senior Member
419 Posts
[Mentor]

Kerhonkson, NY
USA

Suzuki

DL 650

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  12:02 PM
Sorry to nit pick, but the first response is a bit misleading, in that most states have laws restricting motorcycle exhaust systems to one degree or another, in particular related to the amount of noise they make. Most of those laws aren't enforced very stringently.
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6954 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  12:37 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sox Fan

Sorry to nit pick, but the first response is a bit misleading, in that most states have laws restricting motorcycle exhaust systems to one degree or another, in particular related to the amount of noise they make. Most of those laws aren't enforced very stringently.

Since I posted the first response, I'm not sure what you mean by it being misleading.

I stated that I had lightly modified stock pipes. There wasn't a choice for that in the poll.

I've never measured the sound level, which in California, should be measured from a distance of 50 feet while passing by at 30 mph. I think there is a good chance that they would actually meet the noise requirement of 80 dba as specified in CVC 27202. Someday I may actually purchase a sound meter from Radio Shack and measure them, just to find out.

So could you please explain how the response was misleading?
Go to Top of Page

jollyroger
Advanced Member
2157 Posts
[Mentor]

St. Charles, MO
USA

Harley-Davidson

Springer Classic

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  1:31 PM
quote:
Since I posted the first response, I'm not sure what you mean by it being misleading.

I stated that I had lightly modified stock pipes. There wasn't a choice for that in the poll.

Perhaps if the poll had been "Do you run modified exhaust"..?
Your response didn't mislead me--I've seen (or rather heard) plently of punched stock pipes; it's still stock, not aftermarket.
Go to Top of Page

Sox Fan
Male Senior Member
419 Posts
[Mentor]

Kerhonkson, NY
USA

Suzuki

DL 650

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  4:00 PM
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Sox Fan

So could you please explain how the response was misleading?

Sorry, Scott, I should have been more clear. What I meant was that the first available choice of poll responses was misleading, that being "No, they annoy me and everyone else. They should be outlawed."

quote:
Originally posted by jollyroger

I've seen (or rather heard) plently of punched stock pipes; it's still stock, not aftermarket.

I believe those are also restricted in many states. New York State law provides that it is illegal to operate a motorcyle "equipped with a muffler from which the baffle plates, screens or other original internal parts have been removed or altered." I think many states have similar statutes. I've never seen an LEO shining his light up someone's tailpipe, though.

My point was that the pipes that folks think should be outlawed probably already are. Pet peeve of mine. Sorry to take the thread off topic.
Go to Top of Page

ColoRexer
Male Advanced Member
616 Posts
[Mentor]

Castle Rock, CO
USA

Kawasaki

ZX14

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  4:10 PM
quote:
Originally posted by jollyroger

quote:
Originally posted by ColoRexer

That's what all the apiculturists say...

Sorry it took so long to find this...

Go to Top of Page

BÖCstar
90 Posts

Louisville, KY
USA

Yamaha

V Star 1100 Classic

Posted - 06/12/2007 :  12:31 AM
Are any aftermarket pipes actually street legal? Don't they all state "For off road purposes only"? Just curious.
Go to Top of Page

Gs82Seca650
Male Advanced Member
1990 Posts
[Mentor]

Southern, PA
USA

Yamaha

1982 XJ 650 R Seca

Posted - 06/12/2007 :  6:41 AM
I have no problem with aftermarket pipes (WITH BAFFLES), or modified stock pipes.

I am actually with Scott on this one. I have retained the stock pipes on my Seca, but I just drilled some holes in the end caps to let some more sound out. They sound good, without being overly loud. I am happy with the change. Before I modified them, the engine mechanicals were louder than the exhaust! I would have went with a new 4 into 1 because I like how they sound, but I couldn't find a decent one for my bike. (I like Vance & Hines, but they don't make a 4 into 1 for the SECA.)

I DO NOT like "straight pipes" "Drag Pipes" or anything of the sort. IMO they have no place on the street.

I know the "Loud Pipes Save Lives" discussion has been beaten to death and discussed ad naseum, however after yesterday I feel there may be at least a small amount of truth to it.

I was on I-83 coming into work. I usually ride in the right lane and take my time (I was in my cage). I considered making a lane change, until I heard a Harley with some aftermarket pipes coming up on me. I HEARD him before I SAW him, he must have been in my blind spot. The pipes were louder than stock, but not overly loud.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions and I do not wish to argue the point, just some food for thought.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.98 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05