(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3458 positive of 3841 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Polls
 Fire Extinguisher
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

bkikkert
Male Advanced Member
847 Posts
[Mentor]

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada

Harley-Davidson

Ultra Classic '08

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  5:54 PM   DetailDetail                        Like
Poll Question:
Do you carry a fire extinguisher on your bike?

Results:
Yes   [5%] 2 votes 
No   [95%] 38 votes 
= Guests (8 votes)

Poll Status: Closed  »»   Total Votes: 40 counted  »»   Last Vote: 05/26/2007 11:57 AM 

Baggsy
Male Advanced Member
728 Posts
[Mentor]

Ottawa, Ontario
Canada

Suzuki

09 Wee

Posted - 05/16/2007 :  10:27 AM
Not yet anyway.
Go to Top of Page

WarHawk
Male Advanced Member
1796 Posts

Baytown, Texas
USA

Yamaha

'07 V-Star Custom

Posted - 05/16/2007 :  11:13 AM
Explanation of poll? Reasons, pics, stories

Go to Top of Page

jollyroger
Advanced Member
2157 Posts
[Mentor]

St. Charles, MO
USA

Harley-Davidson

Springer Classic

Peer Review: 3

Posted - 05/16/2007 :  11:16 AM
quote:
Originally posted by WarHawk

Explanation of poll?

He's asking if you carry a fire extinguisher on your bike.
The answers are 'yes' and 'no', not 'why'.
Pretty straightforward..
Go to Top of Page

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17381 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 05/16/2007 :  11:29 AM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Cash and I each have a fire extinguisher in our saddle bags.

The only time we needed one, we didn't need it after all. That is, I was riding her 750 and I think she was riding my Wing and we had at least one other couple with us at the time. A fuel line cracked at the carb on the 750 and caught fire. The seat was on fire as was my pant leg. I pulled the bike off the freeway and simply let it fall over as I exited the bike and tended to my pant leg.

The others stopped behind me and we dug out a fire extinguisher to deal with the problem. While we were doing that one of the men we were riding with bent over and BLEW THE DAMN THING OUT with his breath! Didn't need the fire extinguisher after that.

The only other time it would have been really nice to have a fire extinguisher, but I didn't, was about 50 years earlier while riding a Cushman scooter. It caught fire while I was using it to throw newspapers on my route. I was wearing a brand new jacket at the time. I used the jacket to kill the fire. It had large holes burned in it as a result. The scooter was functional again the same day.
Go to Top of Page

bkikkert
Male Advanced Member
847 Posts
[Mentor]

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada

Harley-Davidson

Ultra Classic '08

Posted - 05/16/2007 :  8:01 PM
I began this poll after reading one of James' posts on safety equipment. A fire extinguisher can take up a lot of room on a bike and so I was wondering how many riders carried one. Quite often on long trips, I have to make decisions on what to carry in my limited space on a mid-sized bike especially travelling two-up.

Even though I always carry a fire extinguisher in my car, I had never considered carring one on the bike until now....
Go to Top of Page

Cash Anthony
Female Administrator
1470 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, Texas
USA

Honda

Magna 750

Posted - 05/16/2007 :  8:14 PM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
The one I carry is "junior size." I have add-on hard bags, and it fits very easily into one of them.

I carry only my bike cover and emergency equipment in that one bag, so I never have to wonder which one has the gloves, mouth dam, scissors, etc. Fire extinguisher is not at the bottom but rather leaned up against one end of the bag, so that I can reach it quickly -- assuming I can find my key and unlock the bag at all.

Cash
Go to Top of Page

WarHawk
Male Advanced Member
1796 Posts

Baytown, Texas
USA

Yamaha

'07 V-Star Custom

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  12:50 PM
What rating of fire extingusher is it?

What is recommended?
Go to Top of Page

jollyroger
Advanced Member
2157 Posts
[Mentor]

St. Charles, MO
USA

Harley-Davidson

Springer Classic

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  12:58 PM
quote:
Originally posted by WarHawk

What is recommended?

With the possibilty of an electrical fire as well as a gas and/or oil fire, I'd go with an ABC..
Go to Top of Page

SteveS
Male Advanced Member
1208 Posts
[Mentor]

Toronto, Ontario
Canada

Harley-Davidson

2018 Tri-Gliide

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  7:30 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Cash Anthony

The one I carry is "junior size." I have add-on hard bags, and it fits very easily into one of them.

I carry only my bike cover and emergency equipment in that one bag, so I never have to wonder which one has the gloves, mouth dam, scissors, etc. Fire extinguisher is not at the bottom but rather leaned up against one end of the bag, so that I can reach it quickly -- assuming I can find my key and unlock the bag at all.

during a FIRE

Cash

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.43 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05