(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3456 positive of 3838 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Off Theme
 Puzzles and Games
 Riddle of the surgeon's son
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

robardin
Male Starting Member
8 Posts

Flushing, NY
USA

Kawasaki

VN750

Posted - 08/01/2008 :  2:33 PM                       Like
I'm always kind of surprised by how many people are tripped up by this one...

A man is driving in a car with his teenage son when they get T-boned in an intersection by a runaway 18-wheeler truck. The jaws of life are required to extricate them from the wreckage, and both of them are airlifted to the nearest hospital.

Both of them are immediately taken to the OR. However, the surgeon who comes to take care of the teenager reels back and exclaims, "Find another surgeon. I can't operate on this boy! He is my son!"

How is that possible? (No, there is no adoption involved.)

The solution is highlighted here:
----------
The surgeon is his MOTHER, of course... You sexist pig!
----------

shauntwomey
Male Standard Member
157 Posts

West Lafayette, IN
USA

Yamaha

'07 VStar 650 Custom

Posted - 08/01/2008 :  9:29 PM
About nine years ago, I purchased a set of review books to help me prepare for the Certified Management Accountant exams. Between the topic examples and the review questions, this set of materials made a point of making equal references to "he" and "she", "him" and "her", and the like. I had never come across anything that made such an emphasis on balancing the gender references in its content.

I bring this up because I always think of these books when I come across questions and riddles like this (which I got right ).
Go to Top of Page

Cat-woman
Female Standard Member
234 Posts

Radcliff, KY
USA

(None)

Posted - 08/03/2008 :  11:46 PM
yup, we read gender into professions all to often. I have heard this before, and managed to get it correct then. I feel part of the issue resolves around having no gender-neutral pronoun that does not automatically make a "person" a "thing."

BTW, I have gotten better care via male nurses at times than females.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05