(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3456 positive of 3838 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Off Theme
 Acknowledgements
 Acknowlegement / A good day off
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

bachman1961
Male Advanced Member
2271 Posts
[Mentor]

colorado springs, co
USA

Honda

CB750 NightHawk

Posted - 08/03/2008 :  6:34 AM                       Like
It was my day off work as a Security Officer for a Hospital that owned numerous properties in town. One such property was medical building with various offices and medical practices. My youngest son happened to have an appointment there for some physical rehab per a knee injury and I had to drive him there. He was down the hallway at the rehab office as I chatted with the S/O at the front desk (a friend / co-worker). After a minute or two into our chat, he got a call on his phone from the 3rd floor, a female office manager reporting a suspicious party in some back hallways. A moment later, she called back to say she discovered her wallet missing from her purse. Security Officer Ed immediately took her description of the young man last seen in that area and started a pan/zoom of the numerous on site security cameras. This building is quite big and has big parking lots on the east and west sides. I volunteered to take a two-way radio and go out into the lot to canvass the area, me dressed in my any-day-off uniform of gym shorts and a tee shirt. While out there, I met up with a contracted S/O who was driving the lots in small pick-up for 'parking patrol'. I apprised him of the situation and had him drive around to help spot since he had a two-way as well. As we searched the area, a better description came over the two-way and within a few minutes, I spotted a guy fitting the description. I pretended to enlist his help in looking for a 'bad guy' and let him think I assumed he was just leaving a medical appointment. As I did this, Ed at the cameras had brought his image into view and had the office manager at his side to verify his ID. At this point, the young guy was acting a bit nervous and hurried wanting to continue his walk toward the far side of the east lot. We were just off the loading dock and service entry area. As I continued to walk with him engaging his attention, Ed came over the radio and I backed off the volume to a minimum. The pick-up pulled up by us and that S/O added some menial conversation as I got the verified ID and the news the Police were on the way. Ed wanted us to hold or stall the guy. I was concerned about unlawful detainment so I figured I'd just keep him walking slow and engaged in talk and deal with an issues as they happened. Just before the Police arrived, this suspect started getting all antsy and belligerent so I asked him to empty his pockets and keep his hands where I could see them. Ed came over the radio and we all heard him say the Police were on the way and he as well as the Main Campus Hospital had us on camera. As suspected bad guy emptied his pockets, out came a set of brass knuckles, and a few glass vials that he crushed under his feet. Two Police cars rolled up pretty quick with lights but no sirens and took over. Turns out he had wants/warrants and crime tools in the pick up truck he was headed for.
We enlisted other S/O's to help search and within :45 minutes, found the manager's wallet in the dumpster. She reported nothing missing(she had no cash in it), so we figured the bad guy was probably spooked and ditched it quick like leaving credit cards and whatever else.
This whole incident from start to handcuffs happened within twenty to twenty-five minutes and the office manager was thrilled to see a complete recovery and return of her personal effects and the apprehension. We were all amazed at how the planets had aligned that day to make us look good and see things work out. The technology of the communications and video monitors / cameras really closed the deal. Amen !

~brian

Edited by - bachman1961 on 08/03/2008 6:51 AM

Cash Anthony
Female Administrator
1470 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, Texas
USA

Honda

Magna 750

Posted - 08/03/2008 :  8:52 AM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Good job!

Do you have any concerns about the plethora of devices and systems keeping track of everyone's activities these days?

Cash
Go to Top of Page

Jim B
Male Senior Member
491 Posts

Newark, Delaware
USA

Honda

CMX250 & CB750

Posted - 08/03/2008 :  10:34 AM
Good job!! I don't know if I would be able to stay relaxed while walking around with a criminal...

As for Cash's question...it is a controversial one.

I know of one person that accepted a desk job for a construction company. He resigned 4 hours after finding that all rooms in his office building have cameras to keep an eye on every person working.

I would have quit, too. There is a fine line to be drawn. Security cameras are good for the outside of buildings, hallways, and high-risk areas, but inside your own office? Nope. I have my own way of getting work done, I am mature enough to know that if I don't finish my work, I won't have a job. I don't need a pair of eyes looking over my shoulder all day. I would be extremely self-conscious and paranoid.
Go to Top of Page

bachman1961
Male Advanced Member
2271 Posts
[Mentor]

colorado springs, co
USA

Honda

CB750 NightHawk

Posted - 08/03/2008 :  2:49 PM

Cash Anthony-

Thanks!
I have worked around cameras and security related stuff for so long I don't give it a second thought. I do understand the point of privacy (that people had at one time) and their 'right to privacy' so I won't really debate it since that ship left the harbor.

Let's just say it's safe to say that cameras are all over these days and should be placed/used in justifiable an legal applications. However, those guidelines are not defined by a good many of us.

In reference to safety-security tools and systems in use today; I'd weigh the bad things that bad people do versus Joe A Citizen that is law abiding. A complaint about lobby cameras in a public building isn't a blip on my screen when a suspected armed robber or killer is
caught and prosecuted due to that evidence. Everyone has to make that distinction themselves. I know how victims and their families feel after being involved in a crime of violence. Many of us thankfully can only imagine what that is like.

Let's say the traffic camera at a major intersection enables the Police to track down the hit-n-run driver that knocked your nephew off his motorcycle leaving him injured and lying in the road...
No, let's not say that. Let's not even think it.

~brian
Go to Top of Page

MarcN
Male Standard Member
179 Posts

Murphy, NC
USA

Harley-Davidson

Heritage Classic

Posted - 08/03/2008 :  3:00 PM
It's always good to know there are people such as yourself that will volunteer to be involved when it comes to helping in such instances. Kudos to you. We should all follow your example in some way.
Go to Top of Page

bachman1961
Male Advanced Member
2271 Posts
[Mentor]

colorado springs, co
USA

Honda

CB750 NightHawk

Posted - 08/03/2008 :  3:01 PM
Jim B;

Thank you Jim.
In an effort to not be too wordy, I didn't really describe the thumping heart rate, sweaty palms and 'rush' that I was experiencing at the time. I think you've got an image of Dirty Harry Callahan...wrong!!

(I didn't pee myself though)

With people listening on the radio and the cameras rolling, I know that made me feel better at the time. Also I had the other S/O there too. I'll chalk it up to my nervous chatter keeping my image up at the time. In that job, you really need to 'play the role' and put on your game face. I usually talked my way out of trouble. I didn't have the muscle, didn't want to write 7-page Use of Force reports or use my cuffs and Taser.

Smart? Maybe. Lazy? Yep!

~brian
Go to Top of Page

D R
Advanced Member
1053 Posts
[Mentor]

Northern, Virginia
USA

BMW

R1200RT

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  6:29 AM
quote:
Originally posted by bachman1961

.....didn't want to write 7-page Use of Force reports or use my cuffs and Taser.

Smart? Maybe. Lazy? Yep!

~brian

What do you mean "Smart? Maybe"?. How about "Smart, most definitely!"

During my military and LEO service time, I always prefered the indirect approach...distract them, get their guard down, set the stage to your advantage and when the time is right, make your move. The direct, physical approach is not always the best.

You did good.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.29 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05