(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3457 positive of 3839 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 General Discussion
 Reducing wind noise in your helmet
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

BadaBing
Male Advanced Member
1196 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Harley-Davidson

Heritage Classic 04

Posted - 10/26/2008 :  2:25 AM                       Like
I usually wear earplugs, but was curious as to whether there are ways to reduce the wind noise associated with your helmet? Are there any industry standards that measure wind noise associated with a particular make and model of a helmet?

Ciao,

BadaBing

Tazio
Male Starting Member
5 Posts

Woodland Hills, California
USA

Vespa

GTS250ie

Posted - 10/26/2008 :  5:49 PM
I use a NOJ Quiet Rider helmet cuff that does a great job of reducing wind noise.
Go to Top of Page

biocoach
Male Senior Member
259 Posts

Falls Church, Va
USA

GAS GAS

Posted - 10/26/2008 :  8:35 PM
I imagine it would be hard to set a standard. A helmet is very different depending on the wind blocking capability of the bike (fairing or none), the height and location of helmet as well as the riding style (sport bike tipped more forward, compared to cruiser more aft.
Go to Top of Page

BadaBing
Male Advanced Member
1196 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Harley-Davidson

Heritage Classic 04

Posted - 10/27/2008 :  12:34 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Tazio

I use a NOJ Quiet Rider helmet cuff that does a great job of reducing wind noise.

Hey Tazio,

I did an internet search on the NOG and couldn't find too much. What is it and how does it work?

Ciao,

BadaBing
Go to Top of Page

alton
Male Standard Member
232 Posts

Sarasota, FL
USA

Kawasaki

2018 Versys 650

Peer Review: 1

Posted - 10/27/2008 :  8:15 AM
BadaBing,

Here's a review of the NOJ Quiet rider Cuff - http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/noj-quiet-rider/
Go to Top of Page

Texasphotographer
Male Advanced Member
896 Posts
[Mentor]

Copperas Cove, Texas
USA

Honda

2006 GL1800 Trike

Posted - 10/28/2008 :  1:08 PM
Badabing,

I went to my local motorcycle shop and for $9.95 bought an SNO Danna head scarf. Not only does it make my face a bit warmer it reduces the noise inside my helmet. The only colors they had on display were pink so I resisted the sales girls attempt to tease me. They went to the store room and got me a black one. The difference in noise is significant. It also makes my helmet fit a bit better. This is NOT a do-rag, but a full face scarf with an opening for the mouth and nose.

Trying to think of a description for this. Its more like a face mask than anything else. If I knew how to post a photo I would scare you all by having a photo of me wearing it. It makes a difference in wind noise inside the helmet.

Edited by - Texasphotographer on 10/28/2008 3:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

lostinspace
Standard Member
100 Posts

Vancouver, BC
Canada

BMW

f650gs

Posted - 10/29/2008 :  7:53 PM
I put a taller than standard screen on my bike before a trip to CA. On occasion I put my head up into the wind and the noise is significantly louder and a lot more buffeting. So if your bike allows it try a screen to put the wind over your head. Phil
Go to Top of Page

Texasphotographer
Male Advanced Member
896 Posts
[Mentor]

Copperas Cove, Texas
USA

Honda

2006 GL1800 Trike

Posted - 11/18/2008 :  8:09 PM
Badabing,

What I bought and wear to reduce helmet noise is a balaclava. A very thin silk one works well in mild weather and in colder temps I bought a thick one which actually covers my entire neck. I tried it today with ear plugs, but the ear plugs work too well and I could not even hear my bikes horn. (Sure want to hear the horn from other vehicles if necessary) So, out go the ear plugs. The balaclava does reduce helmet noise and that may be helpful to those with this problem.
Go to Top of Page

rkfire
Advanced Member
1716 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Peer Review: Blocked

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  12:16 PM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Thread resurection..lol.

For $15 you could try this Motrax wind stop. I went to my local CycleGear to get one, and it ticked me off they didn't stock this $15 version but had another brand's version in stock that cost about double. I left empty handed. There's a store in Almeda, TX.

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L...tem=MRX_MSW3
Go to Top of Page

SkootchNC
Male Advanced Member
1062 Posts
[Mentor]

raleigh, north carolina
USA

Harley-Davidson

road glide

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  3:55 PM
I use good ol ear plugs, the good ones don't wrap you in a cone of silence. Check out any local "safety supply" store, or online try
http://www.gemplers.com/hearing-protection
as with most things, you get what you pay for.... high end plugs that are molded for YOUR ears are better.... cheapo foam cyclinders worse
Go to Top of Page

rayg50
Male Moderator
2083 Posts
[Mentor]

NYC, NY
USA

Honda

Shadow Spirit 750DC

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  5:29 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Texasphotographer

for $9.95 bought an SNO Danna head scarf

This is NOT a do-rag, but a full face scarf with an opening for the mouth and nose.

If you have trouble seeing the turns at night keep in mind that the $10.95 one has the openning for the eyes too.

Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6950 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  6:12 PM
quote:
Originally posted by SkootchNC

as with most things, you get what you pay for.... high end plugs that are molded for YOUR ears are better.... cheapo foam cylinders worse
In what way are foam earplugs worse?

Do they let through more sound at some frequency? Do they make it harder to hear some important sounds?

I had one set of custom earplugs made at a local motorcycle show and other than being easier to insert, they didn't work as well for me as foam earplugs. They were great for low frequency noises like a loud exhaust, but not good at all for wind noise, which is the number one thing I want earplugs to protect me from. I even went back to the same guys the next year and had them "adjust" the earplugs, but there was no improvement.

The only drawback, in my own experience, to good foam earplugs is that they're harder to get inserted properly. I've tried more than a dozen different earplugs before settling on the DECI4200 from North Safety Products. I purchased a case of 200 of them a few years ago and expect them to last "forever", since I can reuse each pair a number of times before they start to lose effectiveness.

I really would like to know how custom earplugs are going to do a better job of saving my hearing than my favorite foam earplugs.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05