(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3456 positive of 3838 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 How To ...
 Add-ons / Customization
 Other uses for the BatteryTender pigtail.
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

rkfire
Advanced Member
1716 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit
Peer Review: Blocked

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  10:58 AM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend                        Like
Since I have the pigtail wired to my battery, I'm attempting to simplify connections to other devices.

I keep my bike in a shed, and ride pretty much year round. Running an extention cord to the shed can be a nuisance. Others that might store their bike outside under a cover may also know what I mean.

I have a cheap jump start box, and had a cigarette lighter to cig ighter "jumper" cable. That cable is near useless for jumping a car, but, since my jump box has a cig lighter outlet, I thought it could be handy for the bike.

Snipping one of the male plugs off of the cable, and attaching an SAE plug onto the cord, allows me to plug the cable to the jump box, then the SAE side into my batter tender pigtail. This is NOT for a fully dead battery, but for a battery not charged fully. This happens with mine expecially in the winter months, and if the bike has sat for a week or so. I connect, then let it sit a few minutes charging, then leave it connected when starting the bike. It gives that little extra that might be needed. The pigtail is fused, so that provides a measure of safety.

The jump box I got was $35, the cig lighter cable can be found for $10 or less, and the SAE connectors can be found in the trailering section for about $2.

I have a cheap 12v air compressor, and I carry it with me. I cut off it's cig lighter connector and splice the SAE plug onto that as well. I no longer have an excuse as to why I don't check my air pressure and fill the tires OFTEN.

Keeping the cig lighter to SAE pigtail cable on the bike, allows me to get a jump on the road if needed, if there is a willing car owner. Again though, it's not a heavy enough cable for a DEAD battery, but a somewhat discharged battery.

If you have a cig lighter outlet wired on the bike, naturally the male lighter plugs could be left intact on the compressor, and "jump" cable.

The jump box is still available for use with the alligator clamps. The jump box can be charged indoors.

I find this can be handy for those of us without the convenience of a garage.

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6943 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  11:37 AM
I've been curious about how much power can go through the Battery Tender connector. Just yesterday my KTM was low enough that it wouldn't start after sitting for half a day out in the parking lot at work. I had to have my wife come get me, drive my car back over, remove four bolts under the engine to get to the battery (located in front of the engine), hook up the jumper cables to my car, start it, then put it all back in place while the bike was warming up.

I only considered later that I might have been able to hook the jumper cables to that connector for the little bit of extra power that I seemed to need to start the bike (much quicker to get to). I probably won't be able to test that theory either, because I intend to keep my bikes topped off with my battery tender throughout the winter months (I might get a new battery too).

So now I'm wondering what it would take to blow the fuse on that thing.
Go to Top of Page

rkfire
Advanced Member
1716 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  11:50 AM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
I'm not sure what the rating of the BT fuse is, and I am away from the home now. I am thinking 7.5 amps, but could be mistaken.

I do know that last winter, I connected the jump box via the pigtail, gave it a few minutes to charge up some, then left it connected and successfully started the bike.

Probably the ideal would be to charge the bike battery from the jump box to a suitable level, then leaving it connected to only provide a bit of a boost.

If the battery is just too low, the jump box and alligator clamps still provide for a better and safer jump than from a car, I think.
Go to Top of Page

rayg50
Male Moderator
2083 Posts
[Mentor]

NYC, NY
USA

Honda

Shadow Spirit 750DC

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  12:08 PM
My battery tender came with an SAE connector cable. I leave it permanently connected to the battery with the SAE plug, cable-tied to just below the front of my seat. I picked up an SAE to cigarette socket cable which I keep in my saddlebag. I can connect just about anything to the battery (cell phone, air compressor, etc) that has a cigarette lighter adapter or an SAE connector. This would include a jumper cable such as this one. I have not had the need to use the jumper but I would expect that it should get the job done.

Edited to add the following:

quote:
Probably the ideal would be to charge the bike battery from the jump box to a suitable level, then leaving it connected to only provide a bit of a boost.
+1

I think that is the key to using a cigarette lighter to cigarette lighter connection. Regardless of what they call it, it is not a jumper cable in the true sense. I had one for many years in my car and used it twice to give a boost. Both times I connected it and then went for a 15 minute cup of coffee to give the weak battery a chance to recover a bit. No problem either time starting the other car.

Edited by - rayg50 on 12/01/2011 12:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

rkfire
Advanced Member
1716 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  3:54 PM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
A lighter to lighter type cable would even be more useful for a bike than a car I think, with it's smaller electrical load, but it goes to show Ray, you've used it successfully on a car.

Come to think of it, Battery Tender makes an extention cord with SAE on each end. That would be also useful for bike to bike boosting. If both bikes have the pigtail.

Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6943 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  4:38 PM
quote:
Originally posted by rkfire

A lighter to lighter type cable would even be more useful for a bike than a car I think, with it's smaller electrical load, but it goes to show Ray, you've used it successfully on a car.

Come to think of it, Battery Tender makes an extention cord with SAE on each end. That would be also useful for bike to bike boosting. If both bikes have the pigtail.
You would end up hooking up + to - on one end doing that.

On the motorcycle side, the "male" part of the connector is negative on both bikes. An extension plugs its "female" part into that and the wire comes out on the male part on the other side. You would end up plugging that ground into the power side of the other bike and instantly blow your fuse (or fry some wire).

Here's an image for reference.

Go to Top of Page

gymnast
4260 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, Idaho
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster Sport

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  5:02 PM
That battery tender cable is just fine for tending batteries however you will likely melt it in a heartbeat if you try to use it as a portal to jumpstart your bike.
Go to Top of Page

rkfire
Advanced Member
1716 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  5:34 PM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
quote:
Originally posted by gymnast

That battery tender cable is just fine for tending batteries however you will likely melt it in a heartbeat if you try to use it as a portal to jumpstart your bike.

Which? The extention cable or the pigtail?

The extention may not work after all, seeing scotts post, but I have been using the pigtail several times now. The wire gauge isn't much if any different than that lighter to lighter cord.

I've been attempting to caution this is for giving the low battery a charge, and a bit of a boost. It's definitely too light a wire for jump starting a dead or nearly dead battery.
Go to Top of Page

gymnast
4260 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, Idaho
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster Sport

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  9:25 PM
The cable should be fine for connecting the dead or near dead battery to a fully charged battery for several minutes to bring up the charge on the battery needing it. I don't think that it would be a good idea to hit the starter button on the bike with the battery being "transfer charged" without first disconnecting the cable connection. I think we are on the same page. In other words, the cable is too light to be used as a jumper cable.
Go to Top of Page

The Meromorph
Male Moderator
834 Posts
[Mentor]

White House, TN
USA

BMW

R1100RT

Posted - 07/24/2012 :  2:41 PM
I left my radio on for three days on my 'new' bike, because I didn't know how to switch it off. The battery was completely flat.
The Battery Tender will not do anything to a battery at < 3.0V charge.
So I connected a battery charger through the pigtail for an hour, to get it above three volts, and then switched to the tender for an overnight trickle.
Worked fine, and I figured out how to turn the radio off... :)
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6943 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 07/24/2012 :  5:28 PM
quote:
Originally posted by The Meromorph

I left my radio on for three days on my 'new' bike, because I didn't know how to switch it off. The battery was completely flat.
The Battery Tender will not do anything to a battery at < 3.0V charge.
So I connected a battery charger through the pigtail for an hour, to get it above three volts, and then switched to the tender for an overnight trickle.
Worked fine, and I figured out how to turn the radio off... :)

I had something similar happen when I had a 1980 Ford F-150 that I was trying to sell. Someone turned the interior light on and I didn't notice it for two weeks. It was very dead. I hooked it up by jumper cables to my car for about 20 minutes, which wasn't enough to start it, but enough for the Battery Tender to charge it. It was topped off just a day and a half later.
Go to Top of Page

dhalen32
Male Moderator
846 Posts
[Mentor]

Omaha, NE
USA

BMW

R1200RT

Posted - 07/25/2012 :  7:05 AM
I use the permanently connected pigtail on my bikes to power heated jacket liners and gloves during the colder months. Using Powerlet adapters I can hook up to my Gerbings heated clothing quickly and easily. They even were able to sell me an adapter to connect to the cigar lighter socket on the dash panel of the Ulysses or the one under the seat. I have never attempted to jump start a bike through any of these adapters however. They do not appear robust enough to handle that sort of current draw.
Dave
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05