(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3452 positive of 3834 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Polls
 Tachometer - Needed or not?
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

Jim B
Male Senior Member
491 Posts

Newark, Delaware
USA

Honda

CMX250 & CB750

Posted - 05/27/2008 :  11:03 AM   DetailDetail                        Like
Poll Question:
Those of you that have bikes without tachometers...do you wish you had one on your bike or not?

When I looked around for a bike, I felt 'naked' sitting on bikes without one.

Results:
No, don't think it is necessary   [63%] 30 votes 
Yes, I wish I had one   [38%] 18 votes 
= Guests (21 votes)

Poll Status: Closed  »»   Total Votes: 48 counted  »»   Last Vote: 06/27/2008 8:35 AM 

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6914 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 1090 Adv R

Posted - 05/27/2008 :  11:19 AM
Both of my bike have tachometers and I added one to one of the Ducati Monsters that I had before these two, but I voted that tachometers are not necessary. I check mine most often to see if I'm running the engine too slow - below 3000 rpms. Occasionally for rapid acceleration I'll watch the tach to shift at about 9000 rpms, but it's not really necessary.

On my 888, the tachometer is slow enough that I usually have to shift a bit early anyway to keep from hitting the rev limiter. I rarely get any useful information from looking at my tachometer.
Go to Top of Page

BadBob
Male Standard Member
161 Posts

Know Name City, Unknown
USA

Yamaha

V-Star 1100

Posted - 05/27/2008 :  3:44 PM
A kid who lives down the street from me recently ran his R6 into a light pole in the Target parking lot. When I saw him the next day (sporting a fractured clavicle,) I asked him what he'd been doing when he ran into the pole. He replied that he'd been watching his tach, trying to learn how to recognize the red-line in each gear by sound and feel so he wouldn't have to look at the tach anymore.
Go to Top of Page

sixsigma
Male Advanced Member
801 Posts

Toronto, Ontario
Canada

Suzuki

Marauder vz 805

Posted - 05/27/2008 :  5:41 PM
No,

I had a tach on the first MC (new 1974 Yamaha TX500A - then again it also had a kick starter/electric start) and it was only interesting and somewhat useful to find the power-band (10,000) - my sedate Suzuki Cruiser tells me to shift without the tach via throttle response and feel (gotta love those shifts where it is silky smooth and feels like an automatic
Go to Top of Page

AZJohn
Male Standard Member
133 Posts

Clarkdale, AZ
USA

Honda

05 Shadow Spirit 750

Posted - 05/27/2008 :  10:37 PM
quote:
Those of you that have bikes without tachometers...do you wish you had one on your bike or not?
I would actually like to vote both ways on this topic. No, I don't think that a tachometer is necessary, but I still wish I had one. After getting to know my bike for a few months, I am comfortable that I know the engine based on its sound, but I would like also to know what sort of RPM it is cranking at. I'd rather have a gas guage before a tach.
Go to Top of Page

Speedmaster07
287 Posts

Los Angeles, CA
USA

Triumph

Speedmaster

Peer Review: Blocked

Posted - 05/27/2008 :  11:24 PM
I have a tach, but it's mounted low, on the tank (where some bikes mount the speedo). The only time I look at it is when I'm bored, or occasionally on the freeway to make sure I'm in the right gear. I don't consider it to be a necessity... nor do I consider the speedo to be a necessity (don't spend much time looking at it either). I do, however, like having a clock mounted on the handlebars.
Go to Top of Page

AZJohn
Male Standard Member
133 Posts

Clarkdale, AZ
USA

Honda

05 Shadow Spirit 750

Posted - 05/28/2008 :  12:50 AM
quote:
I do, however, like having a clock mounted on the handlebars.
I also have a clock and also a thermometer mounted on my handlebar. The clock has been pretty handy. The thermometer often reads in excess of 100F, of which I do not like being reminded. I may just take that darn thing off.
Go to Top of Page

aa6vh
Male Standard Member
165 Posts

Oxnard, CA
USA

Suzuki

Burgman 650

Posted - 05/28/2008 :  9:15 AM
My scooter has a tachometer. Since there is no shifting on the scooter, I do wonder why its there.
Go to Top of Page
rioguy
Ex-Member

Posted - 05/28/2008 :  9:31 AM
quote:
My scooter has a tachometer. Since there is no shifting on the scooter, I do wonder why its there.

I have a Burgman 650 and a Yamaha Majesty 400. Both have tachometers. I can shift on the Burgman, but it doesn't help anything.

I've found that if I pick a central speed I want to hold, say 75mph and slow a couple mph when the tach increases due to going uphill and speed up a couple miles per hour when it decreases due to going downhill, then I can significantly increase my gas mileage. (5 to 10 mpg.) (For those that don't ride these, these scooters have a CVS transmission so they are constantly shifting for you.)

Note: I don't recommend this technique if it would be discourteous to vehicles behind you.

Go to Top of Page

Jim B
Male Senior Member
491 Posts

Newark, Delaware
USA

Honda

CMX250 & CB750

Posted - 05/28/2008 :  6:51 PM
Interesting responses from everyone.

My V-Strom has an instrument cluster with a tach, clock, fuel gauge, temp gauge, and dual tripmeters, all digital.

There must be a reason why most new sportbikes have a huge tach in the rider's face, while everything else is small.

I feel that people with hearing problems may benefit from having a tach, especially if the bike's engine is very smooth. Obviously those with good hearing can tell when it is time to upshift.
Go to Top of Page

Woof
Male Standard Member
159 Posts

Jacksonville, North Carolina
USA

Suzuki

SV1000S

Posted - 06/03/2008 :  9:27 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Jim B

Interesting responses from everyone.
There must be a reason why most new sportbikes have a huge tach in the rider's face, while everything else is small.

My guess would be it's because today's sportbikes are built primarily for use on the track--maybe it's more important to use shift points, RPM, and gear selection (some new sportbikes have gear indicators) than it is to know how fast you're going? I would bet that speedometers are federally mandated for street bikes.

For myself, when I'm on a rare ride through the twisties, I won't fixate on speed to the point that I'd try to set up for a corner at the same speed (or faster) that I'd taken it before. I would, however, like to know that the engine's somewhere in the powerband in case I want or need more acceleration.

Maybe someone who actually rides on track days or races can weigh in?
Go to Top of Page

Cereal Killer
Male Starting Member
6 Posts

Roseville, CA
USA

BMW

K1200LT

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  9:08 PM
I have a tach on my bike, and will admit to rarely looking at it. I think I'm like most riders, and most of my riding is at significantly less than redline, when shifting by sound or throttle response is more than adequate.

I am glad it is there for the occasional times that I want to max my acceleration, such as passing or getting on a freeway. Or sometimes if I just want to do a "spirited" ride. Those are the times that I do use it, even if that might be 1 or 2% of the miles I put on the bike.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05