(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3456 positive of 3838 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 How To ...
 Add-ons / Customization
 Heated grips?
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

rkfire
Advanced Member
1716 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit
Peer Review: Blocked

Posted - 01/20/2011 :  9:50 AM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend                        Like
I am wondering if heated grips keep the fingers warm, especially for those of us that cover the levers always.

I did install hand guards that help quite a bit keeping the cold wind off my hands. I'm considering heated grips rather than heated gloves. Ease of use, cost, and the seeming awkwardness of running wires to gloves getting on and off the bike.

I wear faily bulky snowmobile gloves below freezing, and a lighter pair of motorcycle winter gloves above freezing. My understanding is that lighter gloves will transmit the heat better?

greywolf
Male Moderator
1484 Posts
[Mentor]

Evanston, IL
USA

Suzuki

DL650AL2

Posted - 01/20/2011 :  10:24 AM
Heated grips are a nice addition on a cool day, are always available at a touch of a switch or controller and you cannot forget to bring them along. They do not do nearly as good a job as gloves though. They heat only what they touch. You can simultaneously burn your palms and freeze your fingers on the hotter models.
Go to Top of Page

SkootchNC
Male Advanced Member
1062 Posts
[Mentor]

raleigh, north carolina
USA

Harley-Davidson

road glide

Posted - 01/20/2011 :  1:06 PM
quote:
Originally posted by rkfire

I'm considering heated grips rather than heated gloves. Ease of use, cost, and the seeming awkwardness of running wires to gloves getting on and off the bike.

I can't answer your questions regarding grips, as I use the plug in heated gear.
But.....
there is zero "awkwardness" in the plug in gear. I mount my bike while fully geared up, and can easily connect to the harness, with gloves on.
http://heatedclothingoutlet.com/index.shtml is the first place to look into gear. FWIW, Gerbings has battery powered gear, that works very well, without being wired to the bike. Purchase an extra battery and you'd be sure of all day warmth... on, and off the bikes.

I keep my insulated gloves, as well as my heated gloves in my saddlebag, from October, through March.... just in case
Go to Top of Page

rkfire
Advanced Member
1716 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Posted - 01/20/2011 :  1:21 PM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
SkootchNC, I was looking into gloves alone as my fingers are the only thing getting a little cold. I understand that a full heated liner or jacket would have plugs for the gloves. That would be easier, but more expensive.

I've seen that site, and Gerbrings own clearance page. Right off the bat, I click jacket liner on either site and they have s and xs sizes. Doesn't work for me..lol.

I am put off too when I see that the wiring/controllers are extra cost, and none to cheap either. I have checked tourmaster, where the controllers are included in any purchase.
Go to Top of Page

rkfire
Advanced Member
1716 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Posted - 01/22/2011 :  8:25 AM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
One other question. Am I correct to assume that the electrical connections between brands of gloves and jacket liners will be different? In other words whatever brand gloves I might buy, only the same brand jacket I might add in the future has to be the same brand?
Go to Top of Page

greywolf
Male Moderator
1484 Posts
[Mentor]

Evanston, IL
USA

Suzuki

DL650AL2

Posted - 01/22/2011 :  9:44 AM
You would need to check to make sure but a coaxial plug is common. Gerbing and Warm & Safe use the same connectors.
Go to Top of Page

rkfire
Advanced Member
1716 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Posted - 01/22/2011 :  10:03 AM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Thanks. I think I'll go check all these options in person at my local store. I just like knowing a bit in advance of buying anything.
Go to Top of Page

Axiom2000
Male Moderator
1761 Posts
[Mentor]

Georgetown, Delaware
USA

BMW

F 800 GT

Posted - 01/22/2011 :  10:34 AM
I know that Gerbing makes a number of different style of gloves, they also make a heated glove liner, Although you would need the wires you can run them without a controller. WIthout the controller,they just stay on high all the time. I ran their gloves for awile without the controller and it was fine for the very coldest of days, but they can get too warm.

Go to Top of Page

rkfire
Advanced Member
1716 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Posted - 01/27/2011 :  7:20 PM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Thanks guys. I did find on the FirstGear (warm & safe) site that they make mention that their controllers can be used on other brands. Good to know there's an ability to mix and match.

I rode on a 6 degree day last week, and honestly the only thing that got cold was the outer part of my fingers. I am going to get grip warmers and some glove liners.

For $60 I don't think the heated grips will be a waste, even if I get heated gloves later.

My buddy got FirstGear heated gloves and jacket liner, with dual controller. I have some reservations about the bulk of the wires and controller, and accessibility of it.
Go to Top of Page

Bucky
Male Starting Member
3 Posts

Easley, SC South Carolina
USA

Kawasaki

Ninja 650R

Posted - 01/31/2013 :  11:43 AM
Here is what I have done to enhance the use of heated grips:

Dressing for Cold Weather Riding -- Take Three
http://buckysride.blogspot.com/2011...ng-take.html
Go to Top of Page

rkfire
Advanced Member
1716 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Posted - 02/03/2013 :  11:48 AM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Bucky reminds me that I posted this last winter. Just to follow up, I never did get heated gear or grips. Wearing a snowmobile suit, snowmobile gloves, and a thin balaclava under my helmet, I'm good for all day long in the upper 30's. Below freezing is another level of cold to me, but I'm good for hours. None of my riding is droning on interstate speed though.

My reluctance on the heated gear is due to my riding style. I'll typically make a number of stops during my day, often outside shooting the breeze with friends. For that reason, I want gear that is warm enough, on OR off the bike. I bring along regular gloves and a knit hat for off the bike.

I guess it works out, that on windy single digit, or low double digit days, there aren't many buddies parked along the way..lol.
Go to Top of Page

vamvakou
Male Starting Member
6 Posts

NYC, NY
USA

BMW

Posted - 04/24/2014 :  11:18 AM
Do heated grips work with any type of handlebar grips? I just installed a set of these:http://www.vipcycle.com/iso-chrome-...-grips-pair/ and was thinking of adding heated grips to them, not sure though if they work with any pair of grips.
Go to Top of Page

greywolf
Male Moderator
1484 Posts
[Mentor]

Evanston, IL
USA

Suzuki

DL650AL2

Posted - 04/24/2014 :  11:47 AM
Heated grips are the grips. Grip heaters like Symtec wrap around Heaters can be used with practically any grip. http://www.amazon.com/Symtec-Handle...heated+grips is one link.

They wrap around the end of the left handle and the right throttle tube and the grips are installed over them. The left gets hotter than the right to account for the heat sink effect of the metal bar as opposed the assumed insulating effect of a plastic throttle tube that rotates around the right side bar.

They can be wired high/low/off with a switch or continuously variable with a controller like at http://www.warmnsafe.com/heated-han...troller-kit/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 3.14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05