(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3452 positive of 3834 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Rider Training Courses
 Taking the BRC this weekend
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

Axiom2000
Male Moderator
1761 Posts
[Mentor]

Georgetown, Delaware
USA

BMW

F 800 GT

Posted - 08/03/2013 :  3:14 AM                       Like
This weekend I get to take the BRC, not as an instructor but as an actual student. Apparently I need to take the class to qualify for the insurance discount so there was an opening and I am in. Looking forward to it especially seeing it from a students point of view, I have ask the instructors to not treat me any different than anyone one else in the class, Gee hope I do well.

D R
Advanced Member
1053 Posts
[Mentor]

Northern, Virginia
USA

BMW

R1200RT

Posted - 08/03/2013 :  7:51 AM
Best of luck to you. Let us know how you do.

My son-in-law is taking the BRC this weekend as well. I'm pleased he came to me for input and advise on getting into motorcycle riding. He has some experience for his high school days but no formal training.
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6914 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 1090 Adv R

Posted - 08/03/2013 :  8:24 AM
Please report back on how it went.

If I were to take the BRC, I would be concerned about wanting to correct things I might disagree with. I have no idea how the riding part would go. But when I took the ERC - class part twice, riding part once - I was more like a sponge absorbing as much information as possible. It's been a while.
Go to Top of Page

SkootchNC
Male Advanced Member
1062 Posts
[Mentor]

raleigh, north carolina
USA

Harley-Davidson

road glide

Posted - 08/03/2013 :  10:59 AM
When I took the BRC I had been riding for many years/miles.....but I went into the class with a "beginers mindset" and soaked up what they had to offer me.
That I was already able to ride was (seemingly) evident, but the instructors still were able to teach this old dog a new trick (or two).
They approved of any "good skill" I had, while working on any "weak skill" I had.

It's all in the student's mindset... if you go to learn... you cannot help BUT learn.
Go to Top of Page

Axiom2000
Male Moderator
1761 Posts
[Mentor]

Georgetown, Delaware
USA

BMW

F 800 GT

Posted - 08/05/2013 :  3:34 AM
I am pleased to report that my BRC went very well, we had good weather, great instructors and students who were serious and wanted to learn. I did go in with the mindset of a beginning rider and I did learn and relearn some thing that will help me both as a Rider Coach and a rider. I knew the BRC was a physical and mental challenge but this was a good refresher for just how tough it could be, trust me when I tell you I was tired by the time yesterday afternoon had arrived.

Beforehand the instructors asked me to work as hard as I could to ride every circuit of every exercise as near perfect as I could and not to ride faster than expected student speeds. That made my weekend a real challenge; It took a tremendous amount of concentration to accomplish that level of performance every time. The instructors cut me no slack what so ever any time I did make the slightest of errors I heard about it. Even though I was tried it was a satisfying experience and no doubt, it helped me as a rider because I have not been doing a lot of riding as of late. This was like 10 hours of concentrated PLP.

Sometimes it was very difficult to remain in the student mode however, especially when I noticed something done by a fellow student I thought one of the coaches missed, but I did not coach from the seat save one time when one in my group kept snatching the front brake lever when stopping.

Our group bonded as a team and that made it fun as we were all pulling for each other to do well. The good news is we were all successful, Pleased to report I passed both evaluations with a 100%, anything less and I would have never lived it down

Go to Top of Page

aidanspa
Male Advanced Member
1740 Posts
[Mentor]

Omaha, NE
USA

Harley-Davidson

Road King

Posted - 08/05/2013 :  10:36 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Axiom2000

Sometimes it was very difficult to remain in the student mode however, especially when I noticed something done by a fellow student I thought one of the coaches missed, but I did not coach from the seat save one time when one in my group kept snatching the front brake lever when stopping.
I'm curious if any of the students were aware that you are a RiderCoach, or just a really good beginner.

quote:
Pleased to report I passed both evaluations with a 100%, anything less and I would have never lived it down
Knew you could do it! We were rooting for you.

Go to Top of Page

Axiom2000
Male Moderator
1761 Posts
[Mentor]

Georgetown, Delaware
USA

BMW

F 800 GT

Posted - 08/05/2013 :  2:23 PM
quote:
I'm curious if any of the students were aware that you are a RiderCoach, or just a really good beginner.

Yes, no deception here they were advised in the first classroom session that I was a Rider Coach and I would be taking the class as a student and treated like a student.

The group welcomed me as one of their own and we became a good team, it was a very enjoyable experience.
Go to Top of Page

TonicBIA
Male Senior Member
382 Posts

Arlington, Va
USA

Triumph

Sprint ST

Posted - 08/05/2013 :  7:51 PM
Out of curiosity- what insurance gives a discount as a student but not as a RiderCoach?
Go to Top of Page

Axiom2000
Male Moderator
1761 Posts
[Mentor]

Georgetown, Delaware
USA

BMW

F 800 GT

Posted - 08/05/2013 :  8:59 PM
quote:
Out of curiosity- what insurance gives a discount as a student but not as a RiderCoach?

Yeah wierd eh?, Having just purchased a new motorcycle recently, when I called my insurance company to advise them of the switch the rate they quoted for the new bike sounded high, so I looked around. The best rate I found was really good even without the "Safety Class" discount so I went with it. A few calls and emails to the new company eventually got their attention and a reply to the effect of, yeah your right our policy makes no sense we will look at it and get back to you. After sigining up for this class I recieved a reply stating they would honor the fact I was a RiderCoach and give me the reduction, at that point I decided to take the class anyway.

Go to Top of Page

DDfromMN
Male Standard Member
196 Posts

St. Paul, Minnesota
USA

Yamaha

FJR 1300, Hon GL1200

Posted - 08/14/2013 :  9:04 PM
Surprised you could be a rider coach without having taken a brc or a brc 2 (erc) previously. Not possible in this state. Also, ERC has been offered to Rider Coaches here free of charge for several years.
Glad to hear your insurance company has wised up.

Go to Top of Page

kacinpa
Male Advanced Member
802 Posts
[Mentor]

Lansdale, PA
USA

Triumph

Sprint GT

Posted - 08/14/2013 :  10:21 PM
quote:
Originally posted by DDfromMN

Surprised you could be a rider coach without having taken a brc or a brc 2 (erc) previously. Not possible in this state. Also, ERC has been offered to Rider Coaches here free of charge for several years.

Same here, but I would be hard pressed to find my BRC card from many years ago to copy for the insurance company.
Go to Top of Page

Axiom2000
Male Moderator
1761 Posts
[Mentor]

Georgetown, Delaware
USA

BMW

F 800 GT

Posted - 08/15/2013 :  3:56 AM
quote:
Originally posted by DDfromMN

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Same here, but I would be hard pressed to find my BRC card from many years ago to copy for the insurance company.

I have participated as a student in the old MSS class back in the 90's, took the BRC before becoming a rider coach and rode an ERC four years ago. As you know the course needs to be taken ever three years to maintain the discount.

It was a good experience and I would recommend it to any RC who can get in one and has the time.
Go to Top of Page

DDfromMN
Male Standard Member
196 Posts

St. Paul, Minnesota
USA

Yamaha

FJR 1300, Hon GL1200

Posted - 08/15/2013 :  7:45 PM
[/quote]
As you know the course needs to be taken ever three years to maintain the discount.

It was a good experience and I would recommend it to any RC who can get in one and has the time.
[/quote]

Actually I didn't know that. Dairyland Ins. Co is giving me a discount for being a Rider coach.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05