(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3452 positive of 3834 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Polls
 Finding Safety Tips
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

sramassini
Male Starting Member
9 Posts

Williamsburg, VA
USA

(None)

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  11:55 AM   DetailDetail                        Like
Poll Question:
Would you change any part of the user interface (i.e. how you find specific safety tips) for the Safety Tips site? If you would like to provide detailed input please do so by replying to me in my private discussion area.

Results:
Yes   [64%] 23 votes 
No   [36%] 13 votes 
= Guests (5 votes)

Poll Status: Closed  »»   Total Votes: 36 counted  »»   Last Vote: 09/22/2008 8:12 PM 

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6914 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 1090 Adv R

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  12:35 PM
It would be nice to put the tips in some sort of order that would make it easier to read tips on a particular topic. The current order is based on how old the tip is.
Go to Top of Page
Niebor
Ex-Member

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  1:22 PM
The ability to sort them by a variety of criteria?
Go to Top of Page

bridwell52
Male Senior Member
377 Posts

Pensacola, FL
USA

BMW

KGT

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  2:24 PM
I agree that there should be some type of order. That may be a complicated task.
The headings on the tips are good and can steer most people to what they want.

David
Go to Top of Page

twc
Male Advanced Member
836 Posts
[Mentor]

Fort Collins, CO
USA

Harley-Davidson

Electra Glide Ultra

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  3:17 PM
quote:
Originally posted by sramassini

Would you change any part of the user interface...

The Tips are (apparently) listed in the order they were created and need a topical index. There is a filter capability, but it selects by level of experience and technical content. If you didn't know better, you'd almost believe a physicist designed it.

This site has something to offer everyone, but I believe its greatest utility is for those new to motorcycling. This list is off the top of my head and needs to be refined, but I'd consider things like:

• Introductory information
  • Training
  • Mental preparation for riding
  • Basic skills and use of controls
  • Street strategies
  • Handling emergencies
  • Motorcycle maintenance
  • The physics of motorcycling

A keyword index would be useful, too. For example, it would be nice to be able to find which tips mention "cruise control."
Go to Top of Page

Baggsy
Male Advanced Member
726 Posts
[Mentor]

Ottawa, Ontario
Canada

Suzuki

09 Wee

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  3:49 PM
You definitely learn more by reading tips that you aren't particularly interested in.

But, I kind of agree that it would be good when you want a specific topic.

When that happens I search the tips for keywords:

i.e. Do a search of all forums and then go to the last page which is where the tips section shows up.

Go to Top of Page

gdickelman
Male Advanced Member
1205 Posts
[Mentor]

Annandale, VA
USA

Moto Guzzi

California Vintage

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  3:50 PM
For a rider (new or seasoned) looking for safety tips, perhaps there could be some element of prioritizing the issues addressed by the safety tips with regard to which are most important to which are least important. For example:

1. Emergency stopping
2. Safely turning
3. Rear-wheel slides
4. Front-wheel slides
5. Following other vehicles
6. Target fixation
Go to Top of Page

Mikeydude
Male Advanced Member
741 Posts
[Mentor]

Ft. Worth, Texas
USA

Harley-Davidson

03 FXD Super Glide

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  5:22 PM
I agree with the others that putting them in order would make a huge difference. I know when I was looking for all the counter-steering threads it was kinda tough.
Go to Top of Page

theneanderthal
Male Junior Member
89 Posts

Ft. Walton Bch, FL
USA

Suzuki

gz250

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  8:37 PM
Sorry, but I have to disagree here.

The utility of the tips could, perhaps, be improved. But, the first thing I did upon finding the site was to read each and every tip.

Now, I've been riding for most of my 52yrs, and most of the tips served to reinforce, and articulate, the intuitive nature of the skills we share. Emphasis on articulate!

The tips are, cogent, concise, imperative, and real!

I would rather see some form of restricted access based upon having
read each and every tip.

Whether that would restrict access to the most needy of the advise, given our *give me now* society is, perhaps, a consideration. The
importance of these tips cannot be diminished by whatever consideration is given to accessibility.

ymmv
Go to Top of Page

bachman1961
Male Advanced Member
2265 Posts
[Mentor]

colorado springs, co
USA

Honda

CB750 NightHawk

Posted - 07/12/2008 :  12:46 AM
I agree with the concept of searching the tips. Everyone will happen along some tips they find helpful and informative even though it wasn't the exact tip they were searching for. I suppose as it gets bigger a key word search might be an easy way to filter the search down. I just think it's going to cost some extra readership and many on this site get here to read and learn. Many of the most helpful tips are ones I just happen to see as I worked my way through. If I used a search, I'd never know or remember if I went over the complete list.

** Also, many of the threads are related to inquiry on tips and those folks get helped along by others here who direct them. This makes the site a valuable 'community' at the same time !!

If I spend one hour reading threads on thoughts and opinions, it's entertaining and interactive. If I spend one hour reading through the tips on safety ... it's a very worthwhile payoff ,,, even just reviewing all of them. It helps keep my head in the game.

~ brian

Edited by - bachman1961 on 07/12/2008 12:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

bkikkert
Male Advanced Member
847 Posts
[Mentor]

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada

Harley-Davidson

Ultra Classic '08

Posted - 07/12/2008 :  8:10 PM
quote:
I would rather see some form of restricted access based upon having
read each and every tip.

If by this you mean a forced reading of every tip or accessing a tip only after having read other tips then I totally disagree. Access to the tips should be the readers choice.

I would suggest a method of ranking the tips in order of safety value. In this listing the number one would be the most important safety tip that prevents serious injury or death as determined by James.
Go to Top of Page

bachman1961
Male Advanced Member
2265 Posts
[Mentor]

colorado springs, co
USA

Honda

CB750 NightHawk

Posted - 07/13/2008 :  1:22 AM

I'm all for ANY tip that prevents serious injury or death as determined by James !!
Go to Top of Page

jbphoto
Male Starting Member
7 Posts

Belle, West Virginia
USA

Harley-Davidson

FXDB

Posted - 07/14/2008 :  10:30 AM
A keyword search along with the existing filters should work nicely.
Go to Top of Page

Lokie
Starting Member
8 Posts

Essex County, MA
USA

Kawasaki

EX250

Posted - 07/23/2008 :  2:50 PM
I'd prefer if they were grouped by topic.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05