(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3459 positive of 3842 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 General Discussion
 66 at 66
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

Mikeydude
Male Advanced Member
762 Posts
[Mentor]

Ft. Worth, Texas
USA

Harley-Davidson

03 FXD Super Glide

Posted - 03/16/2022 :  3:24 PM                       Like
Hey guys - I turn 66 this year. One of my bucket list items is to ride some of Route 66, and I thought the 66 at 66 idea was like an omen or something... lol. I have mapped out a good chunk of the ride and it seems doable for me. I will go from DFW to Oklahoma City, then onto shorter rides with stops along the way to check out the history. I want to avoid the interstate as much as possible and stay on the historic route. I plan to follow this across the Texas Panhandle and end the 66 portion somewhere in New Mexico. Possibly go to Roswell and catch highway 380 back to DFW. I'm planning a no hurry trip and allowing 5-7 days. Probably late May to get the best weather and least heat. The longest jag of the ride will be the ride home across Texas - mostly all interstate.

I have done road trips in the past, but they were many years ago and things change -- like age... lol.

Here's what I'd like to discuss - you guys have so much experience I hope for some pointers and educated warnings.

I'm on a 2003 Harley Dyna with around 35,000 miles on it - NOT a large cruiser by any means, but I've done many 200-250 mile day rides on it with no problems. I plan to put it in the shop before I leave and make sure it's in great shape. I keep it well maintained anyway.

I hope to have some friends follow along in a cage, but it may or may not happen - you know how that goes. I will probably be 2 up with the wifey on the back.

I plan plenty of stops on the route will have it mapped out in detail before we go.

You guys that have done a lot of road trips, what can you give me to prepare and look forward to? Things like fatigue levels on day 4 or 5, etc...

Thanks!

Edited by - Mikeydude on 03/16/2022 3:31 PM

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17384 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 03/16/2022 :  4:21 PM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Every trip like that I've been on has been different in almost every way. Sure the mileage is an easy variable, but I assure you that without fail the weather NEVER cooperates fully. In fact, without exception, every trip involved some riding in the rain. Every one!

Take each day as being meaningful. 300 miles is actually a long day ride. A little less with stops along the way - not just to fuel up or eat, but to explore. Take the time to see why people live there and what is special about the location. Something is!

If weather is not comfortable for some reason, find a place to stay the night, and don't regret it. Being able to enjoy the next day's ride (and the rest of your life) makes a lot of sense. The only real timetable you need to maintain is a safe and enjoyable one - no tests (endurance, for example) should be planned or allowed for. Safety first, the ride second.

Go to Top of Page

Mikeydude
Male Advanced Member
762 Posts
[Mentor]

Ft. Worth, Texas
USA

Harley-Davidson

03 FXD Super Glide

Posted - 03/16/2022 :  5:30 PM
Thank you James - there is a lot of my thoughts in there. The whole idea of this ride is to see it all - the ghost towns, Cadillac Ranch, Midway, tiny dust bowl towns... I thought not too much more than 100-150 miles a day. Except for the ride home because of the long distance and no real points of interest.

I'm not too worried about the rain - I've been there done that... my concerns would be the severe stuff that Oklahoma and the Panhandle are notorious for - hail and winds/tornadoes.

We ride up to the Oklahoma border all the time, and I figured riding on to Oklahoma City is about the same distance as riding back home so no big deal.

I'm definitely NOT going for endurance of any kind. That's why we're allowing several days.

I have small saddle bags but nothing like a tour pack or fender trunk. I planned on a leather backpack we have that can be bungee'd onto the backrest. Our helmets have H2H communicators in them and bluetooth connections to the phones. I will have 1st aid, lotsa water, phone chargers, rain stuff... Not a lotta extras tho.

As for safety that's always my priority - That's why I'm here first. I wanna make sure I don't overlook anything.
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6955 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 03/16/2022 :  6:42 PM
I would say to try not to exceed 300 miles in a day, but it sounds like you already have that part worked out.

When I'm on a road that I really like, I tend to not want to stop, so make sure you stop frequently.

I like just finding a motel when I get to the point when I'm ready to stop for the day. But I've learned the hard way to make sure to have a reservation for Friday and Saturday nights. Nothing quite like looking for a room when it's late and there is absolutely nothing within 50 miles.
Go to Top of Page

Mikeydude
Male Advanced Member
762 Posts
[Mentor]

Ft. Worth, Texas
USA

Harley-Davidson

03 FXD Super Glide

Posted - 03/16/2022 :  7:04 PM
Oh - I hear ya on the motel thing. I figured on the little Route 66 Motels as part of the journey. I'll be calling before we leave to make sure there's accommodations.

I plan on scoping out Oklahoma and New Mexico laws as well before I go. Right now the plan is to leave on a Monday and be back by the following week Tuesday. It may go faster than that, but I figured that would give us lotsa time to take it easy. I mean, it's probably a once in a lifetime ride so I don't want to hurry through it.

Do y'all bring anything special in the way of tools? I have my little Harley kit and a lot of 100lb zip ties. Those are miracle workers (ask me how I know that one... lol). It has screw drivers, a few combination wrenches, hex and star keys, pliers and crescent wrenches. It's more than a windshield or fork bag, but not a lot by any means. I also have a good knife.

Go to Top of Page

flyignron
12 Posts

Herndon, VA
USA

Di Biasi

Posted - 03/28/2022 :  8:12 AM
Now you go through saint looey
Joplin, missouri,
And oklahoma city is mighty pretty.
You see amarillo,
Gallup, new mexico,
Flagstaff, arizona.
Don't forget winona,
Kingman, barstow, san bernandino.
Go to Top of Page

Mikeydude
Male Advanced Member
762 Posts
[Mentor]

Ft. Worth, Texas
USA

Harley-Davidson

03 FXD Super Glide

Posted - 04/30/2022 :  3:58 PM
Here's what my map looks like broken down by day... Please lemme know your thoughts.

These times and distances are listed by Google Maps. Not too sure of the accuracy of the travel times. The larger map shows 1100 total miles... This one adds up to 942 total miles. I'm not sure where the trouble lies.

Day One: Ft Worth, Texas to El Reno, Oklahoma - 211 Miles - 4 hours.

Day Two: Shamrock, Texas - 141 Miles - 2 hours 21 minutes.

Day 3: Adrien, Oklahoma - (through Amarillo) Lotsa sight seeing on this leg - 141 Miles - 2 hours 7 minutes.

Day Four: Santa Rosa, New Mexico - 123 Miles - 2 hours 12 minutes.

Day Five: Lubbock, Texas - 205 Miles - 3 hours 23 minutes (Not sure why this is so long travel time).

Day Six: Jacksboro Texas - 230 Miles - 3 hours 27 minutes.

Day Seven: Back Home - 56 Miles - 1 hour.

This leaves me 2 days for unexpected stuff.

Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6955 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 04/30/2022 :  7:37 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mikeydude

Please lemme know your thoughts.

Looks like a bunch of easy days to me.

Have you made reservations to stay at each destination on the day you should get there?

When I've done longer trips in the past (in a car, not on a bike) I just kept going until it seemed about right a bit later in the afternoon, then found a place to stay. Don't expect that to work on a Friday or Saturday night though. I've slept in the car more than once on a Saturday night when there was nothing available for 50 miles.

Now go do it and report back.
Go to Top of Page

Mikeydude
Male Advanced Member
762 Posts
[Mentor]

Ft. Worth, Texas
USA

Harley-Davidson

03 FXD Super Glide

Posted - 04/30/2022 :  8:10 PM
quote:
Originally posted by scottrnelson

Looks like a bunch of easy days to me.

Have you made reservations to stay at each destination on the day you should get there?

Thanks Scott - Not yet. I'm still scoping out all the cool places like the Route 66 Inn. My wife worked for Marriott for 30 years so we can stay there free, but I'd much rather find the cool little 'historic' motels. I gotta find them first and see which ones look more appropriate for the ride.

I'll most likely get the bike in next week for a physical. Planning on leaving on June 6... It'll be 66@66on6/6... lol.

I will be doing this 2 up with no chase vehicles. I'll be filing a detailed flight plan with people here and I hope to use one of those satellite tracking apps so I can be found if needed.

Any tips I might have overlooked?

Edited by - Mikeydude on 04/30/2022 8:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6955 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 790 Adv R

Posted - 05/01/2022 :  10:31 AM
quote:

My wife worked for Marriott for 30 years so we can stay there free, but I'd much rather find the cool little 'historic' motels.

I've stayed in plenty of historic motels and I would pick Marriott every time if I didn't have to pay their higher prices. But you do what sounds best for you.

Last February I went to Moab, UT and stayed in a new Marriott hotel for not much over $100 a night. It was very nice. I was in Moab again this past week and that same place wanted $400. We stayed in a place that was "only" $200 a night for two nights, and two more nights 50 miles north in Green River that was in the low $100 range to save a few bucks.
Go to Top of Page

Mikeydude
Male Advanced Member
762 Posts
[Mentor]

Ft. Worth, Texas
USA

Harley-Davidson

03 FXD Super Glide

Posted - 06/04/2022 :  5:03 PM
Alrighty then - we set sail on Monday morning. We have camelbaks, extra clothes, house is secured, and we have ground control to check up on us. Phones, chargers and emergency power pods... GPS tracking and detailed maps. My biggest concern is the heat. I have lotsa stops planned to cool off. I can't think of anything I may have forgotten. I've read through the safety tips a few times again just for reminders. Thanks James for all those! I tell ya what - it's not the same as when I was in my 20s.

Here's to gettin' some kix!
Go to Top of Page

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17384 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 06/04/2022 :  5:53 PM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Have a safe trip and come back to tell us all about it.
Go to Top of Page

Mikeydude
Male Advanced Member
762 Posts
[Mentor]

Ft. Worth, Texas
USA

Harley-Davidson

03 FXD Super Glide

Posted - 06/04/2022 :  8:13 PM
Thanks James... I will.
Go to Top of Page

Eagle Six
39 Posts

Snowflake, Arizona
USA

Kawasaki

ZX14R

Posted - 06/08/2022 :  12:43 PM
quote:

Thanks James... I will.

Rubber Side Down, enjoy the fun, and hope the weather holds for you. Sounds like a great trip!

Best Regards....George
Go to Top of Page

Mikeydude
Male Advanced Member
762 Posts
[Mentor]

Ft. Worth, Texas
USA

Harley-Davidson

03 FXD Super Glide

Posted - 06/13/2022 :  10:56 AM
Yay! We made it back with no incidents to report. It was an incredible trip and there is so much to tell about. I will post the fun details in the Trip Report forum, but for now I just want to send a huge thank you to James for all I've learned from this forum. The safety tips and general common sense things I've gotten over the years here made this such a great adventure.

The worse thing to happen was I lost a turn signal lens somewhere between Tucumcari, New Mexico and Plainview, Texas. I think it enjoyed the area so much that it just decided to stay there... lol. We got rain 3 out of the first 4 days, and not a drop on us (lots of slimey red mud though - very dangerous stuff). We had a couple mornings of riding in the un-expected upper 50s and lower 60s... that was a little cool. And we even survived riding through Crowell, Texas with a temperature of 110 degrees.

New personal safety tip - When it gets really hot like it did in Crowell, I'm sure you've seen the tip about putting your helmet in the ice cooler at the gas station. We did that at most stops - but we also stopped at a gas station that had a walk in beer cooler. We went in there for a while and cooled down really fast!

Thanks James!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.49 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05