(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3452 positive of 3834 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Polls
 The greatest Racer of them all?
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

Deseret Rider
Male Advanced Member
776 Posts
[Mentor]

Helper, Utah
USA

BMW

R1100RT

Posted - 07/02/2007 :  10:34 AM                       Like
In whatever catagory you choose to cast your vote? For instance:
Moto GP----perhaps Rossi, Hailwood,Agostini or another ?
Road racer---maybe Kenny Roberts, Gary Nixon, Rayborn?

Name your catagory and cast your vote

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6914 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 1090 Adv R

Posted - 07/02/2007 :  11:48 AM
Kenny Roberts rode the equivalent of what MotoGP is now. He was a great rider and the first American to seriously challenge the European riders. He won three championships and helped a lot of riders since then to win as well (Eddie Lawson, Kenny Roberts Jr).

But Valentino Rossi is probably the best racer there ever was. He can still win on an inferior bike and has proved it many times.

Still, I'm rooting for Casey Stoner to beat him this year.
Go to Top of Page

nomad dan
Advanced Member
1276 Posts

Denver, Colorado
USA

Kawasaki

06 Vulcan Nomad 1600

Posted - 07/02/2007 :  12:04 PM
Sport bike riding Rossi

I kept up more with motocross and supercross.

Supercross, of the old timers David Bailey I think would have been the best if he didn't become paralyzed. But I think most of the hot younger guys could beat all the great older guys like Rick Johnston etc.

I think James Stewart will be a great one.
Go to Top of Page

jollyroger
Advanced Member
2157 Posts
[Mentor]

St. Charles, MO
USA

Harley-Davidson

Springer Classic

Posted - 07/02/2007 :  2:03 PM
Animated--Speed. Speed Racer. Because he's a demon on wheels..
Go to Top of Page

shadowrider
Male Advanced Member
602 Posts
[Mentor]

Phoenix, Arizona
USA

Harley-Davidson

FLT Tour Glide

Posted - 07/02/2007 :  6:13 PM
quote:
Originally posted by jollyroger

Animated--Speed. Speed Racer. Because he's a demon on wheels..

Go speed racer.....go go speed racer
Go to Top of Page

Bodhislackva
Male Junior Member
70 Posts

The Redneck Riviera, FL
USA

Ducati

900 SP

Posted - 07/03/2007 :  1:16 AM
Motor racing, mountain climbing and bull fighting are the only true sports.
All the rest are children's games played by adults.
-- Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises

I like Grand Prix, myself; what's now called MotoGP. My pick for all-time greatest is Giacomo Agostini whose 13-year career in GP included 194 races, 122 wins, and 15 championships. Among his other victories were the 1974 Daytona 200 and 12 Isle of Man TT wins. Until recently he still competed in vintage racing. Nobody else comes close.

To provide some perspective, Kenny Roberts generated publicity at an unprecedented rate but his numbers are not particularly impressive as a GP racer (60 races, 24 wins, 3 championships) since longevity is important in that domain. His victory at the 1975 Indy Mile is the stuff of legends, though. Valentino Rossi has won more races than Roberts entered (177 races, 86 wins, 7 championships) which can also be said for Mike Hailwood (152 races, 76 wins, 9 championships).
Go to Top of Page

Dawg Rider
Male Senior Member
306 Posts

Sasser, GA
USA

Harley-Davidson

FXD Super Glide

Posted - 07/03/2007 :  6:00 AM
Assuming Rossi is the best ever, it's pretty amazing that you can currently watch two of the GOAT with Moto-Xer Ricky Carmichael still around (at least in a limited capacity) and James Stewart coming on strong.
Go to Top of Page

kiddal
Male Advanced Member
1561 Posts
[Mentor]

SE, Indiana
USA

Kawasaki

KLR650

Posted - 07/03/2007 :  7:19 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Bodhislackva

...his numbers are not particularly impressive as a GP racer (60 races, 24 wins, 3 championships)...

You have mighty high standards.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhislackva
Male Junior Member
70 Posts

The Redneck Riviera, FL
USA

Ducati

900 SP

Posted - 07/03/2007 :  10:19 AM
Grand Prix has mighty high standards.

Agostini, Rossi, Mick Doohan, Eddie Lawson, Mike Hailwood, John Surtees, and Geoff Duke all won more championships in 500cc (or MotoGP in Rossi's case) than Roberts; Wayne Rainey had the same number of championships but 24 wins. Most of them won multiple championships in smaller GP classes the same years.

Roberts just doesn't rise to those levels as a GP racer.
Go to Top of Page

Deseret Rider
Male Advanced Member
776 Posts
[Mentor]

Helper, Utah
USA

BMW

R1100RT

Posted - 07/03/2007 :  9:27 PM
The thing I admire about Agostini and Hailwood is their ability to ride very, very fast at the Isle of Man. The Isle of Man isn't a race for the faint hearted---a fall there isn't like a fall on the tracks the Moto GP boys are riding today where you slide off the track into the grass or the sand. If you lose it at the Isle of man you might slide into a bridge abutment, a tree, sidewalk or other roadside obstacle. If you won at the Isle of man you have very large cajones---and your are truely the fastest of the fast. The rest of the riders that have been mentioned---they are all very good.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhislackva
Male Junior Member
70 Posts

The Redneck Riviera, FL
USA

Ducati

900 SP

Posted - 07/04/2007 :  2:36 AM
Deseret Rider has excellent taste. Mona's Isle is a whole different matter. It used to be on the GP schedule — back when GP was the Continental Circus — and was the most prestigious race of the season. Agostini was the first reigning champion to refuse to race there because he considered the course too dangerous. I think that was 1973. A close friend of his died there in 1972.

I think it's the greatest road race of them all. GP became a whole different affair without the Isle and a different type of rider became dominant. Racing 'round-the-houses requires restraint, a safety margin, that only a few can exercise. Which, considering thread integrity, brings me to Joey Dunlop — the only rider with more wins (26) on the Mountain Course than Hailwood's 14. I expect John McGuinness will match or eclipse Hailwood's standing in 2008, but he'll have a long run to catch Joey Dunlop.

So, I'll vote twice: Ago and Dunlop.
Go to Top of Page

COOLTOY
Male Junior Member
34 Posts

Liberty, UT
USA

Suzuki

DL 650

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  1:58 PM
More and more, I am finding Rossi to be the best rider of all time. His overall skill, judgement, determination, and brilliance are clearly unrivaled right now.

I am a huge fan of Kenny Roberts, and he was much like Rossi in that he was determined to win, and found a way to do it on whatever bike he rode. Even the 750 two strokes on the dirt tracks.

King Kenny also changed the way we ride motorcycles. Between him and Freddie Spencer, I thik those two had more to do with how we ride today, than any other riders.

So, my vote is that Rossi is the best rider. He has the best skill sof any racer to date, and that is to be expected since he has so much to learn form, and so many great riders to study from.

But, I think Kenny or Freddie were better pure riders in their time.

So, Rossi best ever.
Go to Top of Page

shadecorp
Male Starting Member
2 Posts

lynwood, CA
USA

Harley-Davidson

XL 883 C

Posted - 12/08/2007 :  1:48 PM

Road Racing, Duke.

Off Road, Bud Ekins & Chuck "Feets" Minert.
Go to Top of Page

samuidave
28 Posts

Vancouver, BC
Canada

BMW

Replika

Posted - 01/01/2008 :  9:16 PM
Dirt series: Roger DeCoster

KR Sr personal favorite but do not know enough of other riders to say best ever.

Go to Top of Page

goldcoast
Male Standard Member
137 Posts

Madrid, Madrid
Spain

BMW

F800ST

Posted - 01/03/2008 :  4:49 PM
MOTO GP: Dani Pedrosa, greatest of them all!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05