(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3452 positive of 3834 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Polls
 Interactions with One-Percenters
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

BadBob
Male Standard Member
161 Posts

Know Name City, Unknown
USA

Yamaha

V-Star 1100

Posted - 05/10/2008 :  8:36 PM   DetailDetail                        Like
Poll Question:
Interactions with members of 1% Clubs:
Have you had any noteworthy interactions with members of 1% clubs? Mine was interesting. I was wearing a new white full-face helmet on a ride by myself through a desert area in 1987. I stopped for gas at this little outpost in the middle of dusty, godforsaken nowhere. A group of about 20 guys rides up. I figure, no problem. I'll finish and move on. One of the guys says, "Hey look, it's Luke Skywalker!" Before I had the chance to make myself stop and think, I quipped, "Nah--this helmet looks more like the ones the imperial stormtroopers wear." Everyone got real quiet for a beat or two, and then they all broke up in laughter.

So, have you had interactions with serious members of a 1% club? If so, how would you classify the tenor of the interaction/s? Feel free to add a short narrative after responding to the poll.

Results:
No--I've never really directly crossed paths with any members of 1% clubs (to my knowledge.)   [54%] 30 votes 
Yes--Positive   [20%] 11 votes 
Yes--Neutral   [23%] 13 votes 
Yes--Negative   [5%] 3 votes 
= Guests (17 ballots)

Poll Status: Closed  »»   Total Ballots: 56 »»   Last Vote: 06/11/2008 5:12 PM 

Edited by - BadBob on 05/10/2008 8:49 PM

bachman1961
Male Advanced Member
2265 Posts
[Mentor]

colorado springs, co
USA

Honda

CB750 NightHawk

Posted - 05/11/2008 :  2:50 AM
I'm too new to be of help but your response was perfect.... a bit of humor on the same theme as a come-back is in good spirit and a good example for them and others to witness.

~ brian
Go to Top of Page

BÖCstar
90 Posts

Louisville, KY
USA

Yamaha

V Star 1100 Classic

Posted - 05/11/2008 :  3:32 PM
I belong to Star Touring & Riding and when we all first started our local chapter we got approached by a few 1% gangs. They told us we had to take off our vests/colors or there would be problems. We did as asked but explained we are not a club but a owners riding association. They still insisted we take off our colors. After we finally talked with their club president and explained who/what we were they have been nothing but nice to us. I guess initially they thought we were invading their turf. I've learned that if you show them respect they will return it. Also, let them approach you and speak first. Why I don't know. It's just the way it is.
Go to Top of Page

Night Train
Male Advanced Member
1667 Posts
[Mentor]

Sydney, Nova Scotia
Canada

Harley-Davidson

99 Sportster XL 1200

Posted - 05/14/2008 :  4:05 AM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
I can remember years back, a group of us formed a riding club and one of the concerns in doing so was an incident that had occured where a 1% group had made a member of another riding club remove his colors on a public run. Our solution was simple. When we designed our club crest, I met with the 1% club representative, explained what we were doing, what we were about and showed him the design of the crest. Their concern was primarily the usage of "rockers" and the color choice of crests. We were given the green light and from that moment on, because we had shown respect, we received it in return and never had a problem. I have had a number of encounters with 1% ers over the years and have not been looking for trouble so accordingly I didn't find it.
Go to Top of Page

BadBob
Male Standard Member
161 Posts

Know Name City, Unknown
USA

Yamaha

V-Star 1100

Posted - 05/14/2008 :  9:14 AM
How did you figure out who to talk to to arrange the meeting?
Go to Top of Page

Speedmaster07
287 Posts

Los Angeles, CA
USA

Triumph

Speedmaster

Peer Review: Blocked

Posted - 05/14/2008 :  12:24 PM
I went to a "Bikes and Blues" festival in San Bernardino a couple weeks ago. When I got there I found that about a dozen Mongols were in attendance (among maybe a couple thousand attendees)--wearing their colors, but minding their own business. I noted that the San Bernardino police were out in force--on foot, on bikes, on horses, and on Segways. Later in the day, I noted a lot of cops hurrying toward one of the entrances to the event and I wandered over that way to see what was going on. At least 150 Vagos had arrived wearing their colors, and the extra cops were needed to search their bikes and pat them down as they were admitted.

Eventually a group of Vagos came across the Mongols, and it was all smiles and handshakes between them. Not sure if that was due to the heavy police presence or the lopsided ratio. Didn't see any fights or even a cross word all day, it was a great event.

Edited by - Speedmaster07 on 05/14/2008 10:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

Night Train
Male Advanced Member
1667 Posts
[Mentor]

Sydney, Nova Scotia
Canada

Harley-Davidson

99 Sportster XL 1200

Posted - 05/14/2008 :  8:25 PM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
quote:
Originally posted by BadBob

How did you figure out who to talk to to arrange the meeting?

The 1%er club operated a shop in a nearby city. I simply called the shop and asked to speak to a member of the Club. When I got him on the phone I told him what I wanted and when I would be in the city. The meet was set up then for when I was going to be around. They were quite obliging and forthright. Most Clubs have clubhouses or local hangouts where members congregate. If approaching a 1% in public, it is best to do so through a mediary. For example if they are in a bar, talk to the bartender and let him know you want to talk to one of the members. He/she will usually be only too happy to oblige. Don't lay on any BS, just lay out what you want and make eye contact, with a firm handshake. Be respectful and don't be intimidated.
Go to Top of Page

Woof
Male Standard Member
159 Posts

Jacksonville, North Carolina
USA

Suzuki

SV1000S

Posted - 05/15/2008 :  12:20 PM
I've met Outlaws M/C members at bike shows in OKC and they were happy to talk about their bikes, and I've seen Pagans joining in a recent "Support the Troops" rally (and they were among the few of us who actually rode to the rally in a downpour). I'd have to say these were "positive interactions".

The best advice I've read about interacting with 1%ers:
1. Show respect to get respect.
2. Remember: If you instigate an altercation with one 1%er, you've created a problem for his entire club--and they will ALL help to solve the problem.
Go to Top of Page

Bryan Hubert SHAW
Male Starting Member
6 Posts

Auckland, AK
New Zealand

BMW

K1100LT

Posted - 05/20/2008 :  9:33 PM
Wot's a 1%er ?...never heard of 'em Downunder (New Zealand)
Go to Top of Page

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17322 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 05/20/2008 :  9:48 PM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
You don't have to 'start an altercation' with some of these guys. You need only, for example, TOUCH one of their jackets or vests, even if they are wearing it, to have crossed the line.
Go to Top of Page

alblancher
Male Senior Member
481 Posts

slidell, LA
USA

Yamaha

Roadliner

Posted - 05/21/2008 :  6:59 AM
Seems like you treat 1%ers the same way you treat all people. With respect and courtesy
Go to Top of Page

hvacman
Male Junior Member
81 Posts

Zebulon, NC
USA

Victory

v92cse 2011 Vision

Posted - 05/21/2008 :  2:30 PM
quote:
Originally posted by alblancher

Seems like you treat 1%ers the same way you treat all people. With respect and courtesy

Exactly
1%ers are folks just like you and me. But like you and me they have a line that you can not cross. I have had to deal with some guys at a swap meet a few yr ago. My chapter of the CBA was security and when they showed up in force to peacefully attend, they were given the respect due them and no problems were encountered. If one of their own gets out of control, they will handle it. Now don't get me wrong, you step over the line they will handle that as well.
Go to Top of Page

SouthBayDon
Male Junior Member
48 Posts

Redondo Beach, CA
USA

Buell

S3T

Posted - 05/30/2008 :  2:30 PM
I've been to numerous events, like the Yuma Prison run ( http://www.yumaprisonrun.com/ ), where several of the 1% groups attend. They are motorcycle riders first and accept other riders as members of the brotherhood of riders. Sure, there are lines that a prudent outsider should not cross, but generally they are there to share the motor cycle experience just like you or me.
Go to Top of Page

JDTexas
Male Junior Member
49 Posts

Victoria, TX
USA

Kawasaki

Vulcan

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  8:25 AM
I have an uncle who is a 1 percenter. I think a lot of them get a worse rap than they deserve. However my uncle is one of those crazy MFers who probably deserve the bad rap. I've met numerous 1%ers through him and have had good interactions with all of them overall.

The key to it is giving them respect and knowing what the Taboos are. I noticed someone saying that touching a jacket could spark a confrontation. Well thats true. Their leathers and bikes are sacred to them (of course I'm speaking in generalities, there are plenty who aren't as zealous).

The luke skyewalker joke wasn't a verbal attack. It was an ice breaker. Spend any time around these guys and see how much smack they talk to eachother and you'll notice a lot of ribbing and BSing going on. (Hell, spend any time with any group of guys and you'll see the same thing) When you continued the joke they knew you weren't a snob and accepted you as a rider...not as one of their own mind you....thats a whole other ordeal.

John D
Go to Top of Page

Dannytheman
Male Junior Member
43 Posts

Philly, PA
USA

(None)

Posted - 06/25/2008 :  4:38 PM
You give respect, you get respect!!

Only watch out for the prospects. Make sure your vest is not a collection requirement. Take it off if asked, or wear it inside out.

Don't shake hands, unless reached out to. Let your friend the 1%er come to you and introduce you. Never interupt him.

Life is good, and the beer is cheap!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05