(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3456 positive of 3838 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 How To ...
 Add-ons / Customization
  Aftermarket saddles
 Mustang seat
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

scweeeker
Female New Member
12 Posts

Wilmington, DE
USA

Harley-Davidson

Heritage Softail

Posted - 07/03/2011 :  5:47 PM                       Like
Just bought my Sportster and within a month switched the stock solo saddle for Mustang solo with backrest. I sit a tad higher but am very comfy indeed, well worth the cost! Also put the sheepskin from Alaskaleather on. Let's ride baby

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17375 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 07/03/2011 :  7:35 PM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Let's assume that you don't have a sales agenda here (which would get you banned) - why a new seat on a new bike and why the sheepskin?
Go to Top of Page

MattInFla
Male Senior Member
254 Posts
[Mentor]

Casselberry, FL
USA

Harley-Davidson

Electra Glide Classi

Posted - 07/04/2011 :  5:09 AM
Some of Harley's stock seats are designed with appearance as a priority over comfort. When I bought my RK, it had a "Badlander" seat on it, which looked nice, but was uncomfortable to ride after a short while.

I replaced it with a Mustang saddle as well, and it made a world of difference.

Matt
Go to Top of Page

Alabusa
Male Senior Member
254 Posts

Muscle Shoals, Alabama
USA

Suzuki

Extreme

Posted - 07/04/2011 :  12:44 PM
My riding buddy has a RoadKing with a Mustang saddle and pillion seat. Oh my how comfy they are.
Go to Top of Page

Mystic Red
Male Senior Member
379 Posts

Twin Lakes, Idaho
USA

BMW

K1100LT

Posted - 07/04/2011 :  1:04 PM
quote:
Originally posted by James R. Davis

Let's assume that you don't have a sales agenda here (which would get you banned) - why a new seat on a new bike and why the sheepskin?

Jim, most BMW stock seats are pure torture. Most common complaint when a rider buys a new BMW. And when I picked up my wife's Honda 750 Magna in Spokane to ride it home for her (about 30 miles) I almost had to stop and rest my rear as the seat was so soft it was going to sleep.
Go to Top of Page

gymnast
4260 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, Idaho
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster Sport

Posted - 07/04/2011 :  3:13 PM
Over the years I have found that Harley Davidson had long ago perfected the 25 mile seat for the Sportster. It was about perfect back in the day of the small "peanut tanks" as it reminded you to think about a rest stop or planning your next stop for fuel at about 27 miles. By 30 miles your passenger would be desperately signaling for a break and at 40 miles the stock Sportster seat gave understanding to the meaning of what it must have felt like to be "run out of town in a rail". Stock Sportster seats were the the answer to a proctologists prayers for additional business, kept many of them off of food stamps and are rumored to have been responsible for enabling several of them to purchase Mercedes 500s.

I have used Corbin touring seats on my last three Sportsters and recently added a (homemade) heavy sheepskin cover for distances over 100 miles. Mike Corbin should thank Harley Davidson for the many years of prosperity that he has enjoyed as a result of the ineptitude of the engineers responsible for designing the OEM Sportster seats.
Go to Top of Page

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17375 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 07/04/2011 :  8:12 PM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Thanks, Mystic.

I'm getting the feeling from you and Gymnast (and others) that except for the high-end tourers, most bikes have seats that are functional, but not comfortable - as if the motorcycle manufacturer owns stock in seat manufacturing businesses.

Stranger things have happened - like planned obsolescence.
Go to Top of Page

scweeeker
Female New Member
12 Posts

Wilmington, DE
USA

Harley-Davidson

Heritage Softail

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  1:41 PM
Please, I had no intent on promoting seats or skins or anything at all. My Sportster is an '06 and was bought used. As for why the new seat, EVER sit on Harley seat? Butt numbing to say the least.
I took my new seat for a ride today while quite comfy I sit just a little higher and tips this lil puppy while PLP. Now I need to learn how to pick up bike....slightly embarrassed here, as I had to ask for help. Live and Learn is the lesson here.
Go to Top of Page

Mystic Red
Male Senior Member
379 Posts

Twin Lakes, Idaho
USA

BMW

K1100LT

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  6:37 PM
quote:

Thanks, Mystic.

I'm getting the feeling from you and Gymnast (and others) that except for the high-end tourers, most bikes have seats that are functional, but not comfortable - as if the motorcycle manufacturer owns stock in seat manufacturing businesses.

Stranger things have happened - like planned obsolescence.

I don't know what BMW is thinking when they slap a seat on a bike after all the engineering they do underneath it but it's a common complaint. Heck, they were putting ABS on their bikes in the mid '80s!
My bike cost almost 17K when it was new in '94 and a "comfort seat" was an option. It was just marginally better than the hideous thing that was on my bike.
It may be a conspiracy or a cruel joke the designers play on us.
Go to Top of Page

Alabusa
Male Senior Member
254 Posts

Muscle Shoals, Alabama
USA

Suzuki

Extreme

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  7:23 PM
quote:
Originally posted by scweeeker

Please, I had no intent on promoting seats or skins or anything at all. My Sportster is an '06 and was bought used. As for why the new seat, EVER sit on Harley seat? Butt numbing to say the least.
I took my new seat for a ride today while quite comfy I sit just a little higher and tips this lil puppy while PLP. Now I need to learn how to pick up bike....slightly embarrassed here, as I had to ask for help. Live and Learn is the lesson here.

An easy way to pick it up.........squat with your back to the bike, put your lower back against the seat, grab something rigid on the back end of the bike with one hand and something rigid on the front with the other hand, use your legs to lift the bike. You will be pushing up with your legs with leverage against the seat with your back. Your ARM are just lifting points and to steady the bike once up.
Go to Top of Page

rayg50
Male Moderator
2083 Posts
[Mentor]

NYC, NY
USA

Honda

Shadow Spirit 750DC

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  9:14 PM
quote:
Originally posted by scweeeker
Now I need to learn how to pick up bike....

Picking Up A Big Bike By yourself Tip 075.

And on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4MPyX0QCYw

Go to Top of Page

SkootchNC
Male Advanced Member
1062 Posts
[Mentor]

raleigh, north carolina
USA

Harley-Davidson

road glide

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  5:03 AM
quote:

why a new seat on a new bike and why the sheepskin?

Most seats are at best a "compromise"and changing a seat most bikes will allow the rider to "adjust their seating position.

in the MOST general terms.. a Mustang seat tends to move a rider forward, and UP.... while a Corbin will move a rider towards the rear, and DOWN. very subtle differences, but enough to create a comfortable position.

I had tried both the Mustang, and Corbin seats on my 2002 Honda VY-1100 Spirit, and felt the Corbin gave ME more support, and comfort, my wife prefers the Mustang. When we purchased her 2005 Honda VT-1100 Sabre, the Mustang seat was the first mod (then the brighter better aimed "silverstar" bulb.

Go to Top of Page

kacinpa
Male Advanced Member
802 Posts
[Mentor]

Lansdale, PA
USA

Triumph

Sprint GT

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  9:33 AM
Sadly neither Mustang or Corbin makes a replacement seat for my bike. I have been searching for a better seat as the original seat on my bike leaves much to be desired. I can't go for more than an hour or so without having to stop and walk around a bit to wake up my sleeping butt.

I did find one company (Russell Cycle) who will MAKE a seat for my bike, but I have to ship them a seat pan to use as a base. I have been looking for a used seat or pan for a reasonable price at the local MC scrap yards and on E-Bay without luck so far.

I'm not sure what a Corbin or Mustang seat costs, but I am also struggling with the price of the custom seat...(Price starts at $415.00 for vinyl without any add ons). I'm sure my backside would love me for it, but in the end with add ons and shipping, spending 25% of what I bought the bike for on a seat just doesn't seem "right" to me.
Go to Top of Page

(Deleted or Lost)

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  11:23 AM
quote:
Originally posted by kacinpa

Sadly neither Mustang or Corbin makes a replacement seat for my bike. I have been searching for a better seat as the original seat on my bike leaves much to be desired. I can't go for more than an hour or so without having to stop and walk around a bit to wake up my sleeping butt.

I did find one company (Russell Cycle) who will MAKE a seat for my bike, but I have to ship them a seat pan to use as a base. I have been looking for a used seat or pan for a reasonable price at the local MC scrap yards and on E-Bay without luck so far.

I'm not sure what a Corbin or Mustang seat costs, but I am also struggling with the price of the custom seat...(Price starts at $415.00 for vinyl without any add ons). I'm sure my backside would love me for it, but in the end with add ons and shipping, spending 25% of what I bought the bike for on a seat just doesn't seem "right" to me.

Try an AlakaLeather ButtPad (sheepskin). It's fairly inexpensive and makes a big difference.
Go to Top of Page

SkootchNC
Male Advanced Member
1062 Posts
[Mentor]

raleigh, north carolina
USA

Harley-Davidson

road glide

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  12:10 PM
KA,
a good seat will cost in the neighborhood of $200-800 and UP..... look on EBAY, and the various Kawasaki Vulcan forums. there are a LOT of 500 cc vulcans, and I'm sure you could find a good used one, for a very good price.
Being comfortable while riding.... is a WONDERFUL thing
Go to Top of Page

rkfire
Advanced Member
1716 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Peer Review: Blocked

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  9:26 PM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Another more affordable option that I have been hearing good reviews about, is Spencer seats. The guy replaces some of the stock seat foam with a few high tech options he has. I think pricing is about $60. You have to send him your seat, or a second seat you have.

http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.43 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05