(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3452 positive of 3834 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Polls
 cell phone while driving (hopefully nobody responds with a while riding response)
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

sixsigma
Male Advanced Member
801 Posts

Toronto, Ontario
Canada

Suzuki

Marauder vz 805

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  6:48 PM   DetailDetail                        Like
Poll Question:

My pet peeve for sure and I wonder how many of us know the legal traffic code for our personal specific geographic area of driving

OK I never knew this but here is a worldwide site by country boiled down to state/province and local traffic laws

Take a guess first then check the site

PS I personally figure the "voice mail" works until I can stop the vehicle and respond. I have enough distractions without having the phone "jammed in my ear"

Seems that Europe is "way ahead" in recognition of safety hazards associated with this activity

http://www.cellular-news.com/car_bans/

Results:
never   [43%] 10 votes 
once in a while   [57%] 13 votes 
constant   [0%] 0 votes 
I should have a "chip" implant because I have it stuck to my head   [0%] 0 votes 
= Guests (9 votes)

Poll Status: Closed  »»   Total Votes: 23 counted  »»   Last Vote: 09/15/2006 1:11 PM 

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6914 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, ID
USA

Honda

XR650L, 1090 Adv R

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  6:57 PM
Is the poll question you're asking here "How often do you use a cell phone while driving?"

Since I'm still holding out and refuse to have one, I can truthfully answer "never".
Go to Top of Page

Mystic Red
Male Senior Member
379 Posts

Twin Lakes, Idaho
USA

BMW

K1100LT

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  6:11 PM
Using a cell phone while driving is not always unsafe. Let's say you are on a rural interstate with light traffic or even a state route with no decisions to make other than to keep safely spaced with other traffic and keep it between the lines. We truck drivers have been talking on CB's for decades and have the lowest per mile accident rate of all vehicles. The difference between us and the cell phone addict is that they will use it no matter where they are, picking up the kids in the school parking lot, merging on the freeway, or heavy city traffic! It's nuts! Who do they have to talk to so bad that it can't wait for 5 minutes. People answer their phone and carry on conversations while being waited on in the checkout line in the grocery store, for crying out loud! I find it all rude and when used at the wrong time while driving, dangerous.
Can you tell this is a sore spot with me?
Go to Top of Page

sixsigma
Male Advanced Member
801 Posts

Toronto, Ontario
Canada

Suzuki

Marauder vz 805

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  4:58 PM
Hey Mystic,

You offer an interesting perspective from a professional driver's view and I agree with you that the multitude of cell phone users are not sensitive as to where or when they use them. I would like to think the professionals i.e. Truck Drivers, Police and Taxi Operators who have been utilizing electronic communications systems know the when's and where's as they have been using them for decades and probably receive professional instuction. I fear that you nailed it only too well with the "phone addict" statement. I actually see drivers leaving work with the phone "glued to ear" What? they cannot pull over in the parking lot to get the "pickup bread and milk request"? Even ruder to see is a young couple walking hand in hand down the street or having dinner together each with a phone in their ear Wow!!! intimacy takes a new level

I just would guess that the professionals know to use it professionaly where as the "addicts" use it frivolously. I have voice mail and use it to take calls, but suprized at witnessing accidents that I see phones in ears. Like driving is not challenging enough. The driving instructors and DOT testers would not even permit the car radio to be on decades ago.

aww well
Go to Top of Page

don_hud
Advanced Member
1077 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, Texas
USA

Yamaha

1997 Virago XV1100

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  10:50 AM
I think that this is a topic that I could easily go into a rant over, but I will try to restrain.

I have a cell phone but would get rid if it if it were not for the fact that I think that it is a necessity that you carry one on your bike to be able to call for help if you find yourself in the middle of nowhere with problems. Otherwise, I rarely use the phone and it was years after everyone else was getting them, that I finally got one myself. With the amount of use of the phones that I see around me, I can’t for the life of me understand why people think that they have to use them, who it is that they just have to be talking to or just what is so important to them that it couldn’t wait. On a rare occasion, someone will call me when I am driving, and because it is so rare, I will usually answer the phone and talk while driving. But it is something that probably does not happen more than about once or twice a year. And I never place a call while I am driving.

But I can always spot someone driving and talking on the phone, it is obvious that they are not giving near their full attention to their driving and are usually a hazard to avoid.
Go to Top of Page

gtscpe
Standard Member
110 Posts

san diego, ca
USA

Honda

'06 Goldwing

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  8:45 AM
IMO, hands-free will not help, it's the Talking on the phone that is the distraction. Was riding down the road a while back mid-morning....I guessed the car in front of me was on the cell phone-speeding up/slowing down/lane drifting. As I went by I couldn't see the phone to the ear so figured they were drunk early.....nope, mouth going a mile-a-minute with a hands-free.

Edited by - gtscpe on 09/28/2006 8:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

WarHawk
Male Advanced Member
1796 Posts

Baytown, Texas
USA

Yamaha

'07 V-Star Custom

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  8:23 PM
This is true..it takes away your "focus" on driving in which you need to be 100% alert, if you drive and use your cellphone *especially* w/o handsfree you take away from your safety and others around you becase you are no longer focused on what needs the most attention..your driving and being safe about driving

I got t-boned by a girl on a cellphone in my Pickup...both because she was on the phone and I was on alergy meds and crossed traffic in front of her
yes..it was my fault..but she would have seen me well before she applied her brakes...result..my insurance paid for her minor ding..my truck still has the side of the bed munched in..oh well, this is what happens if/when you drive and are not 100% alert and not focusing on what you are doing!
Go to Top of Page

Nicolas27
Male Senior Member
364 Posts
[Mentor]

Atlanta, Georgia
USA

Honda

'06 Aero

Posted - 09/30/2006 :  11:18 PM
I use my cell phone while driving on long trips to check for upcoming weather. I'll call my dad, my wife, or someone with quick internet access to check weather.com or the like.

If I'm in traffic or a busy city street I don't.

/shrug

In my opinion, not all situations on the road call for 100% attention span.

Also, any time you change a cd, drink a coke, or look at a map, are you giving 100%?? No.

If talking on the cell phone is a no-no, then nothing else should be allowed either.

There's also a HUGE difference between a 17 year-old gossipy highschool girl and the way they talk on the phone (ever seen that T-Mobile commercial? hehe), than the way most responsible adults talk on the phone.

There are definately situations where it's unsafe. But I believe there are situations where it's perfectly safe.
Go to Top of Page

BÖCstar
90 Posts

Louisville, KY
USA

Yamaha

V Star 1100 Classic

Posted - 10/05/2006 :  11:34 PM
I understand that the technology exists today to block calls, in certain areas like metro rush hour, to a cell phone w/ GPS while moving over 10 mph. I'm all for something like this but, they better create more parking spaces first.
Go to Top of Page

sixsigma
Male Advanced Member
801 Posts

Toronto, Ontario
Canada

Suzuki

Marauder vz 805

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  5:50 PM
Thanks all for the sanity check as I thought that it was only me that had that "peeve" I will buy into the weather check and road conditions and most assuredly the need to have for emergencies but draw the line on "how are you?, have a date tonight?, and she said and he said stuff? not to mention text messaging (now how do you do that without taking your eyes off the road?)

aww well my age is showing and I know that we all have to be "connected" but I guess common sense is the issue and lordy knows most of the youth including ourselves back then did not always have it. It comes with experience and hopefully they live long enough to get that experience in a good way.
Go to Top of Page

Sirius
Female Standard Member
202 Posts

EDM, AB
Canada

Harley-Davidson

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  9:37 PM
Most people here on their cell phones are men in huge pickup trucks usually with a cigarette in the other hand; and women with a mini van full of kids, of which they are usually focused more on the kids, then the phone, then the road.

I have a cell phone, which is never usually turned on, not even sure why I pay for the thing.
Go to Top of Page

IraqiTrucker
Male Starting Member
5 Posts

Keller, TX
USA

Honda

Magna 750

Posted - 10/24/2006 :  11:46 AM
I guess I can say I have used the phone while riding. (yes, riding) I have the bluetooth scala mike on my helmet. I cant use it at highway speeds. But It does come in handy when I need to catch that call. I pull off and answer without even removing my hands from the bars. I love it. I would say the wife has much more distraction with the phone in her ear, the kids in back, and trying to change the dvd because one wants dora and the other wants spongebob. Good thing there are 6 airbags in that car.
Go to Top of Page
Niebor
Ex-Member

Posted - 10/24/2006 :  9:06 PM
quote:
Originally posted by BÖCstar

I understand that the technology exists today to block calls, in certain areas like metro rush hour, to a cell phone w/ GPS while moving over 10 mph. I'm all for something like this but, they better create more parking spaces first.

LOL, Is it just me? I can see folks waiting for, perhaps even creating traffic jams, so the dang phone will work!
Go to Top of Page

sinned180
Male New Member
11 Posts

Leduc, Ab
Canada

(None)

Desiring ex500r

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  9:46 AM
The thing we need to keep attention to is moderation. Yes, some may disagree with me but cell phones should never be used without a hands free while driving. Nor should they be used in heavy traffic (unless traffic jam @ 10 mph) Some say that the talking is what distracts users, but i would disagree. have they started banning passenger seats in our cars...

As a current cell phone user you have to know when a conversation is distracting and tell the person to call back at another time or call them back. You have their number (call display) so call them back. It is just like driving and fighting with someone in your car; bad mistake, my sister just about killed herself and another b/c of that lesson learned.

As you may guess i am for cell phone use with hands free and in moderation. Just like riding, know your limits and don't go outside them. that's just my two cents.
Go to Top of Page

WarHawk
Male Advanced Member
1796 Posts

Baytown, Texas
USA

Yamaha

'07 V-Star Custom

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  4:57 PM
quote:
Originally posted by sinned180

The thing we need to keep attention to is moderation. Yes, some may disagree with me but cell phones should never be used without a hands free while driving. Nor should they be used in heavy traffic (unless traffic jam @ 10 mph) Some say that the talking is what distracts users, but i would disagree. have they started banning passenger seats in our cars...

As a current cell phone user you have to know when a conversation is distracting and tell the person to call back at another time or call them back. You have their number (call display) so call them back. It is just like driving and fighting with someone in your car; bad mistake, my sister just about killed herself and another b/c of that lesson learned.

As you may guess i am for cell phone use with hands free and in moderation. Just like riding, know your limits and don't go outside them. that's just my two cents.

Its not the talking..its the fist stuck to the side of your head..you might as well tape a brick to your head...

Pilots use hands free devices just fine, astronauts, whatever...its not the conversation..its the fact MANY of them DONT have a handsfree mic and have thier booger pickers wrapped around a phone and glued to the side of thier grape blocking thier periferial vision...THATS what makes it dangerous

Because until an obsticle or something enters thier normal vision zone, then they react..and that time between blocked "fat phone stuck to head syndrome" and seeing that car/motorcycle/kid is what WOULD/COULD have prevented an incident

I say if someone gets into an incident and was using their cellphone w/o a handsfree they should get a DUI ticket on the spot, with all that entails of a DUI too

Edited by - WarHawk on 12/04/2006 4:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

biggunbob
Male Standard Member
139 Posts

parma, OH
USA

Harley-Davidson

electraglide classic

Posted - 01/01/2008 :  5:13 PM
Most people can't drive for beans(80%)and most of the other 20% can't handle emergency driving or accident avoidance. Cell phones should be limited to emergency use on the road or pull over and stop. One does not need any extra distractions to the task of driving. You wanna talk on the phone.... Stay home!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05