(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3456 positive of 3838 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 How To ...
 Preventative Maintenance
 Winterization
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

Axiom2000
Male Moderator
1761 Posts
[Mentor]

Georgetown, Delaware
USA

BMW

F 800 GT

Posted - 11/13/2009 :  9:52 PM                       Like
Training season is over, now the work part of the job begins.

Niebor
Ex-Member

Posted - 11/13/2009 :  10:03 PM
Looks like you've kept up with the repairs. I'll bite, a dozen oil changes, clean and adjust a dozen chains, add Stabil, ride a dozen motorcycles. Whats the problem?
Go to Top of Page

Axiom2000
Male Moderator
1761 Posts
[Mentor]

Georgetown, Delaware
USA

BMW

F 800 GT

Posted - 11/14/2009 :  4:11 AM
Neibor, sounds like you been there before. Except your only looking at half the motorcycles, there are 22 in there. Oh! And you forgot: lube the cables, drain the carbs, replace any busted parts and remove the battery's. Come back in late Feb. To pressure wash, replace the battery's then lube the chains and test ride all for the first class in March. Not complaining, It's not bad work. I take my Kendon Cruiser Lift and it saves knees and backs.
Go to Top of Page

rayg50
Male Moderator
2083 Posts
[Mentor]

NYC, NY
USA

Honda

Shadow Spirit 750DC

Posted - 11/14/2009 :  6:39 AM
Shortly after the training season ended here last year they offered the bikes for sale to attendees. I felt the price was not discounted enough so I passed. Therefore, they may not do what you do in preparing them for another season but I may take a ride out there this weekend (if it stops raining) to find out. I wouldn't mind volunteering a couple of days to get that kind of repetition on basic maintenance. They remove the signal lights here so it would also give me the opportunity to remount a number of them. I'll even bring my own tools and lift.

Thanks for the insight into the "work" part of the job and for triggering the mind drift that may get me started doing my own maintenance.

Edited for clarity.

Edited by - rayg50 on 11/14/2009 6:48 AM
Go to Top of Page
Niebor
Ex-Member

Posted - 11/14/2009 :  7:20 AM
quote:
Originally posted by rayg50
They remove the signal lights here so it would also give me the opportunity to remount a number of them.

I've removed quite a number myself. OK, Not very many as part of a maintenance procedure.

LOL, Axium, If we're to feel sorry for you, why show only half the bikes?
Go to Top of Page

Axiom2000
Male Moderator
1761 Posts
[Mentor]

Georgetown, Delaware
USA

BMW

F 800 GT

Posted - 11/14/2009 :  8:06 AM
Was not looking for anyone to feel sorry for me, I enjoy the work. Just thought the process may be interesting to some. The rest of the bikes are behind me I could not get the whole garage in the picture unless I was outside and it was raining.

I know some states will auction their units off every so often. We do not, and believe me it is hard to think anyone would want one when we are done with them, training motorcycles take a beating. When they are no longer serviceable the state has us grind off the VIN take, them junk yard.
Go to Top of Page

rayg50
Male Moderator
2083 Posts
[Mentor]

NYC, NY
USA

Honda

Shadow Spirit 750DC

Posted - 11/14/2009 :  9:31 AM
All I feel is envy Axiom2000.

The signal light installs would merge nicely with my search for saddlebags. The ones I would like to get are hard and have the tail lights built in. My second choice(s) refer to tail light relocation kits. Since none post the installation instructions I am left to wonder how much of the bike I would need to disassemble to accomplish the task. While my initial thinking is that it should be straightforward I also know that some cars make the simple ridiculously complex.

My wife's Chrysler 3M, where is the battery?

Go to Top of Page
Niebor
Ex-Member

Posted - 11/14/2009 :  10:36 AM
quote:
Originally posted by rayg50
My wife's Chrysler 3M, where is the battery?

Wild guess: Under the air cleaner, right fender well?
Go to Top of Page

rayg50
Male Moderator
2083 Posts
[Mentor]

NYC, NY
USA

Honda

Shadow Spirit 750DC

Posted - 11/14/2009 :  11:53 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Niebor
Wild guess: Under the air cleaner, right fender well?

+1

Sorry for the hijack Axiom2000.

I get batteries that are rated for 5 years and swap them out every 3-4. When my wife's car "came due" I looked under the hood, couldn't find it, mumbled something to her about not wanting to chance locking the alarm, and told her to have it changed at the next scheduled servicing.

Fortunately when she had it done she came back with the story of how much they had to dismantle just to change the battery. Since I did not have to ask, I retained my mechanic status in her eyes. Poor innocent child.

Since you can't get to the battery they actually have a connector on top that you would use if you need a jump. You can just make out a portion of the battery several inches below the connector. A friend has a newer model and claims his is hidden in the trunk. I don't know if he is pulling my leg.

Edited for clarity and to swap for a better photo.

Edited by - rayg50 on 11/14/2009 12:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

Axiom2000
Male Moderator
1761 Posts
[Mentor]

Georgetown, Delaware
USA

BMW

F 800 GT

Posted - 11/14/2009 :  1:40 PM
I think this is a case of the designers never having to work on one. On my present car I noticed no battery under the hood anywhere and eventually had to go to the owners manual to discover it is in the trunk, in a compartment next to the spare tire. Not a bad place for it really.
Go to Top of Page

rayg50
Male Moderator
2083 Posts
[Mentor]

NYC, NY
USA

Honda

Shadow Spirit 750DC

Posted - 11/14/2009 :  2:01 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Axiom2000
... had to go to the owners manual to discover it is in the trunk, in a compartment next to the spare tire. Not a bad place for it really.

Yep, I agree, until a LEO sees you running jumper cables to the trunk of your car and your buddy starts yelling zap him again. Oops, sorry mind drift.

Go to Top of Page

Night Train
Male Advanced Member
1668 Posts
[Mentor]

Sydney, Nova Scotia
Canada

Kawasaki

2006 VN900

Posted - 11/14/2009 :  2:29 PM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
I feel sorry for anyone with a Chrysler that is intent on doing their own repairs. Most likely other brands are the same way but my experience with a friends Intrepid leaves me to conclude I'd ride a bicycle before I bought one of those. Wait till you have to do something as simple as replace the thermostat. What used to be a 20 minute job is well over 4 hours if all goes well. To remove the battery one has to remove the right front wheel and the plastic wheel well to get at the battery. Definitely designed to discourage the home grown mechanic. However, having said all that, when they are working well, they are a nice car to drive.
Go to Top of Page

DDfromMN
Male Standard Member
196 Posts

St. Paul, Minnesota
USA

Yamaha

FJR 1300, Hon GL1200

Posted - 11/14/2009 :  6:03 PM
Axiomst2000,
Looks like a nice mix of cruiser and standard types, while here we have a fair number of dual sports as well
How do you like the TU250? I think it is working out really well for us.
Always interesting to see what other states are doing
DD
Go to Top of Page

Axiom2000
Male Moderator
1761 Posts
[Mentor]

Georgetown, Delaware
USA

BMW

F 800 GT

Posted - 11/14/2009 :  7:10 PM
DD,
I love the thing, other than it is a bit tall for many students it is a great training machine.
Go to Top of Page

bachman1961
Male Advanced Member
2271 Posts
[Mentor]

colorado springs, co
USA

Honda

CB750 NightHawk

Posted - 11/15/2009 :  2:12 AM
quote:

I think this is a case of the designers never having to work on one. On my present car I noticed no battery under the hood anywhere and eventually had to go to the owners manual to discover it is in the trunk, in a compartment next to the spare tire. Not a bad place for it really.

This reminds me; A few years ago when I got to work and the Plant Operator I was relieving went out to help a Nurse get her car jump started. No success as they could not locate the battery.
I'm always the last guy to suggest getting out the Op Manual but that did it. In this mid 90's Audi ... well of coarse !! Just lift and flip the back seat lower cushion and viola ...

*Tune in next week when we discuss the process for re-programming the remote key fob ....

~brian
Go to Top of Page

Axiom2000
Male Moderator
1761 Posts
[Mentor]

Georgetown, Delaware
USA

BMW

F 800 GT

Posted - 11/15/2009 :  3:43 AM
quote:
*Tune in next week when we discuss the process for re-programming the remote key fob ....

Brian
My wife's car is equipped with a infrared Smart Key. What that really means is you got to be smarter than the key to to do anything with it. So far that key is proving to be a genius.
Go to Top of Page

bachman1961
Male Advanced Member
2271 Posts
[Mentor]

colorado springs, co
USA

Honda

CB750 NightHawk

Posted - 11/15/2009 :  4:18 AM
quote:

quote:

Brian
My wife's car is equipped with a infrared Smart Key. What that really means is you got to be smarter than the key to to do anything with it. So far that key is proving to be a genius.

Good Lord, thanks for the warning!
My fear is that my patience level does not coexist with technology and my solution to a Smart key begins with a ball peen hammer.
Can you say "Ouch !" and " Expensive " ? Sure you can !

~brian
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.49 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05